Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DSL connection keeps dropping out, please help.

Last response: in Networking
Share
November 20, 2012 7:21:10 AM

Hey guys, I have a TG782T Thompson Gateway, and a few months back we had a lightning storm where it hit the ground fairly close.
Ever since that storm, on a regular basis our DSL connection on the router keeps dropping out. Also the phone that we had at the time was shorted out and we had to buy a new one.
Could something have also gone in the router which may be the reason the signal drops out? Or could it be our phone line?
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tom
November 20, 2012 9:41:43 PM

Install a new DSL filter at the phone.
November 22, 2012 5:39:36 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Install a new DSL filter at the phone.

I already did that, any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Tom
Related resources
November 24, 2012 6:47:05 PM

Then it might be damage to the router.
November 24, 2012 8:30:49 PM

Don't overlook the obvious. While there may well be damage to the router, the most common issues with DSL are provider side. Have you had your provider out to verify service to the house? I'll bet dollars to Navy Beans that there's a problem with the DSLAM.
November 25, 2012 12:49:29 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
Then it might be damage to the router.


Looking at buying a new one. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Netgear DGND3700. What is this like? I want to be able to allocate majority of the bandwith to my pc and xbox with the remainder going to the other users in the house.
Cheers,
Tom
November 25, 2012 12:51:44 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
Don't overlook the obvious. While there may well be damage to the router, the most common issues with DSL are provider side. Have you had your provider out to verify service to the house? I'll bet dollars to Navy Beans that there's a problem with the DSLAM.

Na I haven't. We live in a rural area, two hours away from the city, can't imagine they would come out here to fix it without it costing as s#!tload :(  Same questions as before. Any suggestions for a new router? I was looking at the Netgear DGND3700. What is this like? I want to be able to allocate majority of the bandwith to my pc and xbox with the remainder going to the other users in the house.
Cheers,
Tom
November 25, 2012 12:52:44 AM

Note: I am moving to the city next year and will take this router with me, so even if I should get my ISP to come and look at the line, I am going to buy a new router/modem regardless.
Thanks,
Tom
November 25, 2012 12:57:49 AM

Teacake96 said:
Na I haven't. We live in a rural area, two hours away from the city, can't imagine they would come out here to fix it without it costing as s#!tload :(  Same questions as before. Any suggestions for a new router? I was looking at the Netgear DGND3700. What is this like? I want to be able to allocate majority of the bandwith to my pc and xbox with the remainder going to the other users in the house.
Cheers,
Tom


If the problem is provider side a new router isn't going to fix anything. As long as the DSLAM isn't fixed (and I'd bet the farm that's where the problem is) you're going to have problems.
November 25, 2012 4:44:14 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
If the problem is provider side a new router isn't going to fix anything. As long as the DSLAM isn't fixed (and I'd bet the farm that's where the problem is) you're going to have problems.


Ignore my current question. What router/modem would I need for PC gaming next year in the city? One that I can allocate bandwith? Dual band? I will be living less than 6km from the nearest exchange.
Tom
!