DSL connection keeps dropping out, please help.

Teacake96

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hey guys, I have a TG782T Thompson Gateway, and a few months back we had a lightning storm where it hit the ground fairly close.
Ever since that storm, on a regular basis our DSL connection on the router keeps dropping out. Also the phone that we had at the time was shorted out and we had to buy a new one.
Could something have also gone in the router which may be the reason the signal drops out? Or could it be our phone line?
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tom

Teacake96

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Looking at buying a new one. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Netgear DGND3700. What is this like? I want to be able to allocate majority of the bandwith to my pc and xbox with the remainder going to the other users in the house.
Cheers,
Tom

Teacake96

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Na I haven't. We live in a rural area, two hours away from the city, can't imagine they would come out here to fix it without it costing as s#!tload :( Same questions as before. Any suggestions for a new router? I was looking at the Netgear DGND3700. What is this like? I want to be able to allocate majority of the bandwith to my pc and xbox with the remainder going to the other users in the house.
Cheers,
Tom

Teacake96

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Note: I am moving to the city next year and will take this router with me, so even if I should get my ISP to come and look at the line, I am going to buy a new router/modem regardless.
Thanks,
Tom

If the problem is provider side a new router isn't going to fix anything. As long as the DSLAM isn't fixed (and I'd bet the farm that's where the problem is) you're going to have problems.

Teacake96

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Ignore my current question. What router/modem would I need for PC gaming next year in the city? One that I can allocate bandwith? Dual band? I will be living less than 6km from the nearest exchange.
Tom