Which is the Best Router?

snowmobiling88

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Okay i'm looking at two different routers currently. One is an Asus and the other is a Netgear.

For the Asus one:

ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router - 1300Mbps, RJ-45, WAN, 4x LAN Ports, IEEE 802.11ac, 2.4G-2.4835 GHz/5.1-5.8 GHz, 3x Detachable antennas

For the Netgear one:

Netgear R6300 Wireless 802.11 AC 5GHz Router - 4x 10/100/1000 Ports, 2x USB 2.0, IEEE 802.11 ac 5.0 GHz, 802.11 BG&N Compatible

What I'm wanting is a powerful router that provides a good and strong range in both bands. Also, I am wanting a lot of speed, I would prefer to direct connect to my modem from century link, but can't convince my parents to route wire throughout the house. So, I would love anyone's opinions on this, especially if someone has experience with either one or both of these routers.

The router is only half you issue. Your PC must be able to use the features. Does no good to even look at 5G if your PC cannot run on 5G. The number of antenna is a Mimo things and again if your PC does not have the same feature you are wasting your money.

Still 5G actually has less range than 2.4G since the higher the frequency the more easily it is absorbed. You will also want to actually disable all the AC stuff and force the router to only run N. 802.11AC is not standard and there is no guarantee of compatibility assuming your PC even has 802.11AC.

The problem with recommendations is your house is going to make far more difference than the routers. Some routers work great in one house and like crap in another.

Both vendors make good product and have good support. Still you are taking a huge gamble spending money on 802.11AC and then find it might not be 100% compatible with the standard that is a full year from release. This is the same issue all those who ran out and bought pre-N routers.

TRENDING THREADS