Secondary Master causes problems

PyroManiak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
I just built a new computer that runs fine until I try to plug in my Pioneer slot-feed DVD rom. I am running the Gigabyte 7VAX KT400 mobo with an XP 2100+ CPU and a GEforce 4 TI4200 video card. In it, I have 1 Western Digital 80 Gig HD and 1 Maxtor 60 gig HD and also 1 Lite On 40x cd burner. That is all I have. All the drives are connected through round cables. Whenever I try to connect the DVD rom as slave (burner is master) and plug the one round cable connecting the two into secondary IDE nothing is detected on bootup. Not even my hard drives. But when I remove the DVD rom, everything works fine. I know it's not the drive because when I tried my functional 52X cd rom, it has the same problem. I've tried a different cable also. Does anyone know what is wrong with my comp? Any help would be appreciated.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
May i suggest you make the 106S the master with the burner as the slave.
My system worked well that way.

Also, with the 106S dont forget to use an ata66 cable.

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
This may be a power problem. What if you try disconnecting your harddrives, but leave the CD drives in. Is the PC (bios) then able to detect the drives?

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>