Motorola V3 - have you got any dirt on it?

Tags:
  • Motorola
  • Phones
Last response: in Brands
Share
December 15, 2004 9:14:31 PM

Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real life?
Does it fit in a pocket well?

Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
does it's GPRS really perform?

TIA!

Peter

More about : motorola dirt

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:14:32 PM

I would like to know the real life talk time/standby time of this phone. I
understand there are no optional batteries offered. The last Motorola
phone I purchased, the talk time/standby time was about 10% of the figures
advertised.
"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message
> Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real
life?
> Does it fit in a pocket well?
>
> Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
> does it's GPRS really perform?
>
> TIA!
>
> Peter

December 16, 2004 10:29:38 AM

> I would like to know the real life talk time/standby time of this phone. I
> understand there are no optional batteries offered. The last Motorola
> phone I purchased, the talk time/standby time was about 10% of the figures
> advertised.

> > Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real
> life?
> > Does it fit in a pocket well?
> >
> > Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
> > does it's GPRS really perform?

Having browsed various comments on the web it seems that while the phone is
easy to use and carry around it lacks seriously in data & computer
connectivity - problems syncing with Outlook (I'll want Thunderbird anyway,
but OE/Outlook will have to do), inability to dialup GPRS, various bugs in
addressbook transfer etc. Can anyone substantiate this? Does Bluetooth's
built-in PIM sync profile work with V3?

Peter
December 16, 2004 5:24:50 PM

I have had one since 11/30. The audio is quite good, with very few if any,
dropped calls. It is light enough to easily fit in a shirt pocket,
unobtrusively. I bought it from the local Cingular store (not an authorized
dealer) and it came with a poorly written, borderline useless manual and a
110 volt charger. Not even a case or belt clip. It stays powered up all my
waking hours and used occasionally. It needs to be charged about every 6
days. My "significant other" picked up a LG1400 at the same time.

The camera on the LG is noticeably better than the V3. The speakerphone
works well, both in volume and clarity.

Re. the keyboard. While the design and style of the V3 are quite cool
looking, the keyboard is not as useful as you might think. Since the keys
are "etched" out of a flat plate, they are all flat. Think about other
keyboards, where the key tops project out from the faceplate 1-2 mm. On the
V3, they don't so it's easy to press more than one key, even when you don't
have a fat finger. To help, each "key top" is bigger than most other
phones, but that means the space between keys is smaller.

Although the menu system is a little clunky, you can customize the center
fourway pad to call the most often used functions.

Bottom line: I'll show it to all my friends at Christmas and by then the
"Early Adopter" bug will have left me. Then I'll exercise Cingular's 30
return policy and get us both V551's.

"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message
> Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real
life?
> Does it fit in a pocket well?
>
> Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
> does it's GPRS really perform?
>
> TIA!
>
> Peter

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:14:07 PM

Have a v-300 and received my second one. when running thru a menu from a
big company and asked to enter 2 for assistance it automatically dials a
phone number from my phone book, not good...at all. other than that who
knows how long this cell will last...............unknown. t-720 so far has
been the best cell phone so far.

"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message
> Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real
life?
> Does it fit in a pocket well?
>
> Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
> does it's GPRS really perform?
>
> TIA!
>
> Peter

Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:03:29 PM

A few problems I have with the phone:

(1) When searching for names to phone/text etc. only first letter of name
can be entered - no use for example if you have 60 m's like I do!
(2) Text messaging takes a while to get used to
(3) It doesnt have the wallet facility like my Nokia used to have!
(4) Bluetooth supposedly temperamental - mine fine.
(5) Only 6Mb of memory - a couple of short MP3s and you're full!
(6) Remember it is a fashion phone with lots of features, don't expect the
world. The camera is excellent though.

FJ.

"Michael Hill" <video@airmail.net> wrote in message
>I would like to know the real life talk time/standby time of this phone. I
> understand there are no optional batteries offered. The last Motorola
> phone I purchased, the talk time/standby time was about 10% of the figures
> advertised.
> "Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real
> life?
>> Does it fit in a pocket well?
>>
>> Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
>> does it's GPRS really perform?
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> Peter

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 10:04:52 PM

I can't comment on the phonebook stuff but mine works very well indeed for GPRS, using O2 in the UK.

"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message news:32cmr6F3jbu92U1@individual.net...
>> I would like to know the real life talk time/standby time of this phone. I
>> understand there are no optional batteries offered. The last Motorola
>> phone I purchased, the talk time/standby time was about 10% of the figures
>> advertised.
>
>> > Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real
>> life?
>> > Does it fit in a pocket well?
>> >
>> > Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
>> > does it's GPRS really perform?
>
> Having browsed various comments on the web it seems that while the phone is
> easy to use and carry around it lacks seriously in data & computer
> connectivity - problems syncing with Outlook (I'll want Thunderbird anyway,
> but OE/Outlook will have to do), inability to dialup GPRS, various bugs in
> addressbook transfer etc. Can anyone substantiate this? Does Bluetooth's
> built-in PIM sync profile work with V3?
>
> Peter

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 10:12:42 PM

Only thing that really bugs me about my V3 is the speed that the phone responds to certain
keypresses. It takes time to respond and can cause too many character deletes etc once you have got
comfortable with the software and work a bit faster on the buttons, it's also a bit on the slow side
for the menu updates. I have an idea it might be due to the comparatively large screen - I think the
phone's processor isn't really up to handling the resolution. I have the game "splashdown" on it,
and it plays a LOT slower than on a Nokia 6230.

"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message news:32b67oF38tilrU1@individual.net...
> Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real life?
> Does it fit in a pocket well?
>
> Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
> does it's GPRS really perform?
>
> TIA!
>
> Peter

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:01:54 AM

In article <Ki%wd.2466$Ar5.1974@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Geri <reply@ddress.valid.not> wrote:
>"Peter" <peter@greatnowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any negatives about the phone? How easy it is to use in real life?
>> Does it fit in a pocket well?
>>
>> Are there any quirks, like slow menus, hangups, missed keytaps, etc? How
>> does it's GPRS really perform?
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> Peter
>>
>Only thing that really bugs me about my V3 is the speed that the phone
>responds to certain
>keypresses. It takes time to respond and can cause too many character
>deletes etc once you have got
>comfortable with the software and work a bit faster on the buttons, it's
>also a bit on the slow side
>for the menu updates. I have an idea it might be due to the
>comparatively large screen - I think the
>phone's processor isn't really up to handling the resolution.

Sounds a lot like the problems with early firmware for the
V600/500/400/300, which was eventually corrected. The V3, of course, being
a brand new model, places owners on the "bleeding edge".
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 11:25:04 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cq2nei$38p$1@reader2.panix.com> on Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:01:54 +0000 (UTC),
retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.) wrote:

>In article <Ki%wd.2466$Ar5.1974@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>Geri <reply@ddress.valid.not> wrote:

>>Only thing that really bugs me about my V3 is the speed that the phone
>>responds to certain
>>keypresses. It takes time to respond and can cause too many character
>>deletes etc once you have got
>>comfortable with the software and work a bit faster on the buttons, it's
>>also a bit on the slow side
>>for the menu updates. I have an idea it might be due to the
>>comparatively large screen - I think the
>>phone's processor isn't really up to handling the resolution.
>
>Sounds a lot like the problems with early firmware for the
>V600/500/400/300, which was eventually corrected. The V3, of course, being
>a brand new model, places owners on the "bleeding edge".

I would think the firmware in the V3 is pretty much the same as in the V600.

December 21, 2004 11:12:10 AM

Many of these are ones I get with my A835; one letter search; no wallet
and that text messaging is really weird
So this may have to do with motorola o/s generally

*

--
DeekyEvans

DeekyEvans ;-)