[SOLVED] Mac os x pioneer dvr-a18l problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiPhi

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi

I've just installed a new Pioneer DVR-A18L unit in my Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2 GHz desktop running Mac OS x 10.5.7.

I made the mistake of over confidence... Disconnected the old Pioneer unit (original DVR-107PB fitted by Apple), installed the new A18L Unit. Rebooted and launched Toast (v9), created a DVD Data disc to test burn, hit the record button and sat back... Toast did it's usual setting up bit then went into BURN mode then... ARGHHH! Kernel Panic screen - YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR MAC!

I've retried this several times, always the same result. I've checked the REGION and set it to EUROPEAN AREA 2, I've check the BURNER INFO in the SYSTEM PROFILE & TOAST - both show the unit as a DVR-118L unit. Some Googling later I found that the DVR-A18L is the European version of the Apple supported DVR-118L Drive and this isn't unusual, although folk are having similar problems.

EVERY TIME I go to burn a DVD I get the Kernel Panic shutdown - can anyone suggest a solution that doesn't need a firmware update (3rd party or otherwise) as I only have access to a Mac and all the available firmware zip files are .exe ones for PC/Linux etc?

HiPhi

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi Hairy - Thanks for reply, and I'm on the verge of building a PC to try and do a Hackintosh and to learn some flavour of Linux, it's well overdue.

I did double check the jumpers and I've got them on MASTER, which should be right.

I've also bookmarked the rpc forum site for future reference.

hairystuff

Distinguished
I would try cable select and finally slave just incase, Hakintoshes are pretty good but the one major problem is system updates sometimes do break them but its a matter of just patching them and your up and running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.