Last response: in Windows 8

Buy windows 7 or wait for windows 8?

Total: 25 votes (8 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 59 %
  • No
  • 42 %
April 21, 2012 2:27:05 PM

I'm building a gaming PC, I really want to build it in the next few weeks or so. I can't decide whether to just buy windows 7 as it's quite cheap now, or wait a few months for windows 8. Is windows 8 even going to be any good? Will it even be able to run old games like GTA San Andreas? I have doubts, it looks way too modern from what I've seen. Also, will it be really expensive when it comes out?

More about : worth waiting windows

April 21, 2012 2:35:52 PM

Windows 8 is meant for touch screen so if you dont have a touch screen monitor, it's useless, i mean most feature is for touchscreen monitor/tablet... Wonder why it's going on tablet...
April 21, 2012 2:39:56 PM

Your poll question is poorly worded. The correct answer for an "Either ... or ..." question is always "Yes".
Related resources
April 21, 2012 2:44:19 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
I'm building a gaming PC, I really want to build it in the next few weeks or so. I can't decide whether to just buy windows 7 as it's quite cheap now, or wait a few months for windows 8. Is windows 8 even going to be any good? Will it even be able to run old games like GTA San Andreas? I have doubts, it looks way too modern from what I've seen. Also, will it be really expensive when it comes out?

Since you dont have Windows 7, might as well go for Windows 8 but i'll warn you, you'll wont be touching some of those feature if you have no touch screen like the piano app lol... Windows 8 is kind of pointless and is meant for computers/tablet with touchscreen....
April 21, 2012 2:58:24 PM

Windows 8 doesn't bring anything major that would be relevant for gamers. WDDM 1.2 revision improves GPU crash handling, DirectX 11.1 brings standardization of mutli-monitor surround gaming. Other than that, the only interesting thing is improved networking which is going to be seamless in a way that you can connect 2 WiFi devices with ethernet cable to improve bandwidth on the fly, without any other interaction.
You can read more here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/indepth-with-the-win...
April 30, 2012 8:03:52 PM

Why wouldn't you wait. If you have the patience, wait for W8. It does everything W7 does and more. It's also faster, leaner, more secure. It is different, and Metro may not be your taste, but at some point you may find it desireable.
April 30, 2012 8:10:43 PM

excuse me but metro is useless if you have more than 10 programs installed

you have to scroll for ages to get to the one you want.

personally im not touching win8 untill there is an official way to disable metro, otherwise im waiting for win9
April 30, 2012 8:17:48 PM

Soda-88 said:
Windows 8 doesn't bring anything major that would be relevant for gamers. WDDM 1.2 revision improves GPU crash handling, DirectX 11.1 brings standardization of mutli-monitor surround gaming. Other than that, the only interesting thing is improved networking which is going to be seamless in a way that you can connect 2 WiFi devices with ethernet cable to improve bandwidth on the fly, without any other interaction.
You can read more here:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/indepth-with-the-win...

This is a very good response. No, it isn't worth waiting. I have been running win 8 and while I like it just fine, it doesn't add anything relevant for most people unless you plan to move all your devices to windows.

It may be even more of a PITA than WIN 7 for some users.
May 1, 2012 9:54:49 PM

To be honest, I took a look at a youtube of it and I don't like the look of it at all really. Looks like something more suited to phones/tablets, it's probably more locked down like an iPhone compared to android, and I bet it won't even be able to run games like GTA SA/SAMP anyway or will have some issues.

I'll just get windows 7, no regrets here. Thanks for your help.
!