m500 won't sync via USB anymore!

Tags:
May 23, 2004 12:02:49 AM

I've had my m500 for a couple years now, and I have did the cradle exchange
a while back. Never had a problem in the first place.

I was using desktop version 4.1SP3, now I switched to 4.1.4 and it didn't
fix the problem (below).

My friend has a Sprint Samsung i500 and a powerbook, but the Zagat guide is
available only for Windows installers. So I downloaded it and we used my XP
laptop to install it on his phone. His phone sync'ed fine on my machine.
[It wanted to install the Samsung CDMA Modem drivers, but I said no.
Everything was fine after that.] Then, I plugged my cradle back in,
switched users, and it won't sync anymore. I can hit the sync button on the
cradle or on the palm's screen, same result: the pda tries to connect but
the hotsync screen doesn't come up.

It will sync via infrared, though (which is slooow), but I'd really like the
USB to work again. That being said, this isn't a problem with users,
conduits, custom setup, "Local USB" not being checked, etc. Oh and I've
tried plugging the cradle into all of the different USB ports. No dice.
The computer just won't acknowledge the palm anymore.

Any ideas? Could the Samsung have written something to the registry?

Jake

More about : m500 sync usb anymore

May 23, 2004 1:29:49 AM

Nevermind... it was SUDS. I disconnected the battery and now it's fine.

Question: how long does that fix usually last?

"JBW" <jakew8@ya-hoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had my m500 for a couple years now, and I have did the cradle
exchange
> a while back. Never had a problem in the first place.
>
> I was using desktop version 4.1SP3, now I switched to 4.1.4 and it didn't
> fix the problem (below).
>
> My friend has a Sprint Samsung i500 and a powerbook, but the Zagat guide
is
> available only for Windows installers. So I downloaded it and we used my
XP
> laptop to install it on his phone. His phone sync'ed fine on my machine.
> [It wanted to install the Samsung CDMA Modem drivers, but I said no.
> Everything was fine after that.] Then, I plugged my cradle back in,
> switched users, and it won't sync anymore. I can hit the sync button on
the
> cradle or on the palm's screen, same result: the pda tries to connect but
> the hotsync screen doesn't come up.
>
> It will sync via infrared, though (which is slooow), but I'd really like
the
> USB to work again. That being said, this isn't a problem with users,
> conduits, custom setup, "Local USB" not being checked, etc. Oh and I've
> tried plugging the cradle into all of the different USB ports. No dice.
> The computer just won't acknowledge the palm anymore.
>
> Any ideas? Could the Samsung have written something to the registry?
>
> Jake

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 4:14:35 AM

On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:29:49 GMT, JBW had this to say...

> Nevermind... it was SUDS. I disconnected the battery and now it's fine.
>
> Question: how long does that fix usually last?
>
> "JBW" <jakew8@ya-hoo.com> wrote in message
> > I've had my m500 for a couple years now, and I have did the cradle
> exchange
> > a while back. Never had a problem in the first place.
> >
> > I was using desktop version 4.1SP3, now I switched to 4.1.4 and it didn't
> > fix the problem (below).
> >
> > My friend has a Sprint Samsung i500 and a powerbook, but the Zagat guide
> is
> > available only for Windows installers. So I downloaded it and we used my
> XP
> > laptop to install it on his phone. His phone sync'ed fine on my machine.
> > [It wanted to install the Samsung CDMA Modem drivers, but I said no.
> > Everything was fine after that.] Then, I plugged my cradle back in,
> > switched users, and it won't sync anymore. I can hit the sync button on
> the
> > cradle or on the palm's screen, same result: the pda tries to connect but
> > the hotsync screen doesn't come up.
> >
> > It will sync via infrared, though (which is slooow), but I'd really like
> the
> > USB to work again. That being said, this isn't a problem with users,
> > conduits, custom setup, "Local USB" not being checked, etc. Oh and I've
> > tried plugging the cradle into all of the different USB ports. No dice.
> > The computer just won't acknowledge the palm anymore.
> >
> > Any ideas? Could the Samsung have written something to the registry?
> >
> > Jake

Just a guess, if it takes you two years to get SUDS, this fix will last
for two years.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jim Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:29:49 GMT, JBW had this to say...
>

>>Nevermind... it was SUDS. I disconnected the battery and now it's fine.
>>
>>Question: how long does that fix usually last?
>>

> Just a guess, if it takes you two years to get SUDS, this fix will last
> for two years.

Unfortunately for me, my m515 first did that after a little over a year,
but then did it again after only a couple of months. I'm dumping it for
a Clie.

Never really loved the m515. It seemed to be just a ho-hum increment
better than the PalmV it replaced, except that in some ways it was
actually worse (thicker, heavier, usb problem, screen harder to see in
sunlight).
!