ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I've just installed my MS MN-700 router. The network seems
to be working. However, as I read the instructions, it
indicates that I should log on to my Network. I do not
get a Log On Window. Secondly, the MS BB Network Utility
says that I do not have any security installed. I would
like to know how to get my security installed or
operating. and thirdly, the Users Guide keeps referring to
the Base Station Management Tool. This Option is not
highlighted when I open the MS Broadband Utility so I am
unable to use it. I seem to be able to connect to my
Earthlink DSL without problems. My 2nd computer does also
but slower because it is currently too far from my router;
but it too does not have a log in screen.

See if we can break this down below. Please see (-->)

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just installed my MS MN-700 router. The network seems
> to be working. However, as I read the instructions, it
> indicates that I should log on to my Network. I do not
> get a Log On Window.
--> Nope, if it is set up correctly, you shouldn't need to logon for your
LAN. Perhaps you're talking about Earthlink procedures?

Secondly, the MS BB Network Utility
> says that I do not have any security installed. I would
> like to know how to get my security installed or
> operating.
--> Did you program your base station with the firewall off? It should be
on. (See below)

and thirdly, the Users Guide keeps referring to
> the Base Station Management Tool. This Option is not
> highlighted when I open the MS Broadband Utility so I am
> unable to use it.
--> This can be caused by several things, including interference from ATI's
graphic card drivers. You can still access the base station by going to
192.168.2.1 (the default base station IP, unless you changed it) in your
browser. You can do all the setup just fine there.

I seem to be able to connect to my
> Earthlink DSL without problems. My 2nd computer does also
> but slower because it is currently too far from my router;
> but it too does not have a log in screen.
With Earthlink, you may be required to logon for Wide Area Network (WAN)
access (are you using PPPoE?) but normally an Internet connection via DSL is
"always on." Don't confuse WAN and LAN (Local Area Network) terminology.
The LAN is your side of the router, and your computers. The WAN is on the
Internet (Earthlink) side of the router.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

to take.
The Log In screen that I was referring to was from Chapter
4 Network Activities of the Users Guide that came with the
MN700 Wireless-G Base Station. I'm just as happy not to
have to use one.

Second item: Re: Security. When installing the Base
Station, the program kept indicating that a Firewall was
detected on my computer; but I have no idea what it was or
where it's located. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and V-com's
System Suite 5.0 which I thought might be the problem.
However, I still received the "firewall detected message".
Hopefully, the next step (i.e. going to the Internet" will
resolve this issue. When I called MS support, I believe
they had me go to the Internet as you suggested.

Last item: I do not believe that I am using PPPoE. My
Earthlink connection is a DHCP (although I'm not to
certain what all this means.) My second computer is
located fairly far away in the house (opposite corner, two
floors lower). It has been able to connect to the
Internet but the connection speed is noted as being Very
Low (MS BB Utilty shows it at 18-24Mbps) It also doesn't
recognize any devices connected to the network. Unless you
have further suggestions, I plan to place my broadband
modem and base station halfway between the two computers
and use USB 2.0 Wireless adapters for both computers.