iztek

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Okay. I took on a job that I thought would be pretty easy. I didn't expect to be setting up a VPN for the client and now I'm kinda of screwed because I can't get the VPN to connect.

I had the client buy this Model F9K1004 Belkin Router that says clearly. WITH VPN
It even has a "easy to use" wizard,
Their support center is just useless no matter what. So I hung up on them after two hours of continues "let me put you on hold while i check on that"

Now the set up is pretty easy. First it ask for a VPN name

http://www.belkin.com/us/pdf?pCode=P-F9K1004&vCode=F9K1004 (Specs)

Before I continue in order to use the VPN option on the router must I have a Server set up with VPN itself or should the router accept incoming VPN connection and do the rest on its own sharing any computer connected to the router?

When I go into the configuration. It ask for the name.
then it ask for any clients that i'll want to allow to connect.
User:
Pass:

(And then it says)

Server IP:
IP RAnge: ....

Does the "Server IP" Mean I enter my actual server I want to use with the VPN connected locally through Ethernet wire to the VPN router.

VPN Router DCHP is set to 192.168.2.1 - 154

The Server's IP is 192.168.1.2

When I try putting the Server's IP
192.168.2.2 into the slot of the wizard for VPN it says It cannot be in the same subnet..

I'll post more details as asked..

the way you internet connection is setup it will not work.

does the AT&T modem/router have VPN capability?

the router needs to be connected directly to the internet. It cannot be hiding behind the AT&T router.

for the Belkin to do the VPN, you probably have to set the AT&T modem/router into bridge mode so it will only act as a modem and have the Belkin be the main router.

be aware that the IP addresses will change since the Belkin uses 192.168.2.xxx

iztek

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Okay. I got the VPN to work, I did what you asked for the AT&T router and it worked I'm guessing that was the problem but I did so many other things. NOW!

When I set up the VPN inside of the Belkin router it asked me for
"Server IP:"
"Remote IP Range"

I tried using 192.168.2.5 for server IP. and it says
It says "Invalid Server IP Address! It is set within the current subnet"

??? Why can't I use the same subnet?

I use 192.168.3.1

But when I go into the VPN client I can't access my files from the network..

Obviously because they're not in the same subnet, but the VPN router won't allow me..

I don't understand why.

iambigrich

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hi iztek, did you ever get your Belkin working? I am having the same issues and I am having no luck whatsoever! Frustrated.

Melarch

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

tf1166

Honorable
May 14, 2013
You must make sure that port 1723 is added to the vpn settings or in the port forwarding. Also you must know if your internet provider is allowing General Routing Encapsulation (GRE)VPN. If they are not you will never be able to use VPN on your network.
The PPTP client connects to their ISP using PPP dial-up networking (traditional modem or ISDN).
PPTP creates a TCP control connection between the VPN client and VPN server to establish a tunnel. PPTP uses TCP port 1723 for these connections.

tf116