Playing with the lights out

Dear Flight Simmers

I enjoyed playing Digital Integration's Tornado with
the lights out - and still do!

It's very atmospheric to say the least.
It makes me feel like I'm "actually there".
I like it when the Iraqi AAA tracers light up the sky.
Anyone else have the same experience with Tornado
or with any other flight sim for that matter?

Having said that, I sometimes wish that my keyboard
had flourescent decals or keys so that I wouldn't have
to rely on my memory to hit the right key.

Anyone else want to share their experiences of flight
simming with the lights out?

Regards
TornadoMan

They sell backlit keyboards now. I know compusa carries them.

"RM" <rm@blah.blah> wrote in message
> They sell backlit keyboards now. I know compusa carries them.

I've got the Saitek Gamer's Keyboard (with added keypad) and thank god they
have button to turn off the backlighting. It's annoying as hell. It seems
to flicker at the same 60Hz rate that cheap monitors do. I'm particularly
susceptible to 60Hz flicker (esp. out of the corners of my eyes), and while
the blue back lighting looks cool from a distance, it's a real distraction
when actually playing games.

James

On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:27:25 -0400, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I've got the Saitek Gamer's Keyboard (with added keypad) and thank god they
>have button to turn off the backlighting. It's annoying as hell. It seems
>to flicker at the same 60Hz rate that cheap monitors do. I'm particularly
>susceptible to 60Hz flicker (esp. out of the corners of my eyes), and while
>the blue back lighting looks cool from a distance, it's a real distraction
>when actually playing games.
>
>James

If they used LED lights then there would be no flicker.

"Codex" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:27:25 -0400, "James Calivar"
> <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

> >I've got the Saitek Gamer's Keyboard (with added keypad) and thank god
they
> >have button to turn off the backlighting. It's annoying as hell. It
seems
> >to flicker at the same 60Hz rate that cheap monitors do. I'm
particularly
> >susceptible to 60Hz flicker (esp. out of the corners of my eyes), and
while
> >the blue back lighting looks cool from a distance, it's a real
distraction
> >when actually playing games.
> >
> >James
> >

> If they used LED lights then there would be no flicker.

Well whatever the reason, the net result is that it's very distracting.

Get a booklight and stick it over the KB. Cheap and multi-use.

On 9 May 2005 20:55:45 -0700, "tomcervo" <tomcervo@aol.com> wrote:

>Get a booklight and stick it over the KB. Cheap and multi-use.

....and I thought I was the only one....:)

Villain

"If I hear 'Yo, bogie dudes' one more time, I'm going to empty my gun
into some surfer butt!"

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>> If they used LED lights then there would be no flicker.

Not true. They prolly use a standard electronics technique of
addressing the LEDs so as to minimize the number of wires used and cut power
use. It pulses each LED on and off, and this is what the poster is seeing.

> Well whatever the reason, the net result is that it's very distracting.

You may be able to increase the frequency of the pulsing by modifying
whatever clock circuitry is used in the keyboard. Try posting here
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=602891

rms

In article <fb865cf8.0505082120.7f269f4c@posting.google.com>,
frankiekam <frankie@stamford.edu.my> wrote:
> I enjoyed playing Digital Integration's Tornado with
> the lights out - and still do! [...] Anyone else have the same
> experience

When i play games, i usually have a 25W red lamp next to my chair,
and so low that the bulb is approximately at the same level as the
lower edge of my monitor. The lamp is pointing downwards so that the
light just barely hits the keyboard. Most other lights are off, there
might be some ambience lightning at the other side of the room (this
room is *gigantic*). This setup works very well for me.

> TornadoMan

..mace --- +daSDAdä