please recommend a joystick with no rudder drift issues

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

hi,

i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.
currently i own a Logitech Wingman Extreme, but the problem with this
joystick is that it constantly drifts towards left in the game
(possiblely rudder defects).

i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
it

please share your experience and suggest a good durable joystick for
flight sims

thanks in advance!

sunny

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

http://www.chproducts.com/

On 9 May 2005 20:15:44 -0700, xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:

>hi,
>
>i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.
>currently i own a Logitech Wingman Extreme, but the problem with this
>joystick is that it constantly drifts towards left in the game
>(possiblely rudder defects).
>
>i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
>a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
>it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
>it
>
>please share your experience and suggest a good durable joystick for
>flight sims
>
>thanks in advance!

Most flight sims allow you to set a deadzone for each axis. If you
give the rudder axis a big enough deadzone you shouldn't get any
drift.

dancho

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.
> currently i own a Logitech Wingman Extreme, but the problem with this
> joystick is that it constantly drifts towards left in the game
> (possiblely rudder defects).
>
> i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
> a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
> it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
> it
>
> please share your experience and suggest a good durable joystick for
> flight sims
>
> thanks in advance!

Logitech joysticks have serious problems. The only joysticks that
really perform and give you rudder control are the old (now out of
production) Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
don't work on Windows XP. If you use XP, CH might be the way to go--
but you have to get rudder pedals. Same thing applies to Thrustmaster
Cougar. For a cheap, does-it-all joystick in Windows XP I think M$ has
screwed us.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 10 May 2005 14:53:33 -0500, dancho <simonbalistica@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.
>> currently i own a Logitech Wingman Extreme, but the problem with this
>> joystick is that it constantly drifts towards left in the game
>> (possiblely rudder defects).
>>
>> i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
>> a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
>> it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
>> it
>>
>> please share your experience and suggest a good durable joystick for
>> flight sims
>>
>> thanks in advance!
>>
>Logitech joysticks have serious problems. The only joysticks that
>really perform and give you rudder control are the old (now out of
>production) Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
>don't work on Windows XP. If you use XP, CH might be the way to go--
>but you have to get rudder pedals. Same thing applies to Thrustmaster
>Cougar. For a cheap, does-it-all joystick in Windows XP I think M$ has
>screwed us.

My Sidewinder works just fine on XP. It's one of the last models put
out. The earlier ones work, but you must use the built in drivers
which do not support all of the features.

Bob S.

"dancho" <simonbalistica@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Logitech joysticks have serious problems. The only joysticks that
> really perform and give you rudder control are the old (now out of
> production) Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
> don't work on Windows XP.

Hmm, that's odd. I have a precision pro 2 and it works just fine under
XP. Came with a driver disk and works just great. No drift at all by
the way. Best joystick I ever owned.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:49:24 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
<WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:

>"dancho" <simonbalistica@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Logitech joysticks have serious problems. The only joysticks that
>> really perform and give you rudder control are the old (now out of
>> production) Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
>> don't work on Windows XP.
>
>Hmm, that's odd. I have a precision pro 2 and it works just fine under
>XP. Came with a driver disk and works just great. No drift at all by
>the way. Best joystick I ever owned.

Mine works just fine too.

Allan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:49:24 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
<WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:

>Hmm, that's odd. I have a precision pro 2 and it works just fine under
>XP. Came with a driver disk and works just great. No drift at all by
>the way. Best joystick I ever owned.

My PP2 gives me left drift in a couple of games but it is easily fixed
by increasing the deadzone rudder axis slightly.

dancho

Allan Parent wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:49:24 GMT, "Jim Vieira"
> <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote:
>

>>"dancho" <simonbalistica@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Logitech joysticks have serious problems. The only joysticks that
>>>really perform and give you rudder control are the old (now out of
>>>production) Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
>>>don't work on Windows XP.
>>
>>Hmm, that's odd. I have a precision pro 2 and it works just fine under
>>XP. Came with a driver disk and works just great. No drift at all by
>>the way. Best joystick I ever owned.
>>

> Mine works just fine too.
>
> Allan

I stand corrected. I assumed, from all the complaints I'd read on
forums that they didn't work. Well, now we know what happens when we
ASS U ME. :)

Hello dancho <simonbalistica@yahoo.com> you wrote:

> ...... Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
> don't work on Windows XP. ......

Yes they do. I have an old Sidewinder 3D Pro and XP recognises it and
loads the drivers for it but you don't have the tools for programming it.
I also have a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold (USB) and prefer it. I never have
drift problems with either stick.

--
Regards, Bob

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On 9 May 2005 20:15:44 -0700, xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:

>hi,
>
>i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.

>i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
>a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
>it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
>it
>
>please share your experience and suggest a good durable joystick for
>flight sims
>
>thanks in advance!

I bought one of the Microsoft Force Feedback sticks when they first
came out. It cost a fortune, weighed about 3 hundred weight, took up
most of the room and the feedback itself was basically the same weak
rumbling for all the effects, I didn't really use it and quickly
consigned it to a dusty shelf. A couple of months ago I started
getting back into spacesims so I needed a new USB stick, I bought a
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. I'm amazed. This thing was 49 quid, is quite
light, has a nice slim base and looks great, and the force feedback is
incredible. I break all the furniture in my house when I use it. It
has a superbly tactile feedback and surprises me every time I use it.
How they cram so much technology into such a compact unit for so
little money is beyond me.
Of course I realise this just means I'm getting old.

br d

"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
> "dancho" <simonbalistica@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Logitech joysticks have serious problems. The only joysticks that
>> really perform and give you rudder control are the old (now out of
>> production) Microsoft Sidewinders. You can buy one on Ebay. But-- they
>> don't work on Windows XP.
>
> Hmm, that's odd. I have a precision pro 2 and it works just fine under
> XP. Came with a driver disk and works just great. No drift at all by
> the way. Best joystick I ever owned.

I agree. I bought a brand new Sidewinder FFB 2 and Precision Pro 2 as soon
as they announced that they were being discontinued. Picked the Force
Feedback up for $40 and the Precision Pro 2 for $25 since the local CompUSA
(a few years ago) knew they were no longer being made. Still haven't used
them, only broke them out to make sure they worked. But either way, they
work fine with XP and *ARE* definitely the best single stick solution
around.

I am really surprised that Microsoft decided to stop making them since they
are in the XBOX market. Game controllers seem like they'd fit their bill.
Not only that, how hard would it be for them to continue production since
they already own the tooling and its not like they need to update them too
much. I mean the original USB versions work great even today.

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:

> i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.
> currently i own a Logitech Wingman Extreme, but the problem with this
> joystick is that it constantly drifts towards left in the game
> (possiblely rudder defects).
>
> i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
> a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
> it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
> it

If money isn't a factor I'd go with either a CH or a Thrustmaster (HOTAS
Cougar) stick. The Thrustmaster being the slightly less problematic one
as it doesn't need a special USB unification driver, the CH one being
even more programmable. Personally I own a Cougar, so I cannot comment
on the CH combo, but for the Cougar you can set dead zones, axis shapes
and even can trim those (as well as the stick axes themselves) IN GAME.
So you can be sure you will be able to prevent ANY for of drift with it.

--
What's the speed of dark?

[Delete the karl after the @ to avoid my spam trap]

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In article <1116237403.6f43b297cc4a78f264102b42ade467b3@teranews>,
karl@karl.frank.name says...
> xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > i'm looking for a good joystick to play with EAW, IL2, Flanker, etc.
> > currently i own a Logitech Wingman Extreme, but the problem with this
> > joystick is that it constantly drifts towards left in the game
> > (possiblely rudder defects).
> >
> > i've read some users' review on Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, seems it's
> > a good joystick for the $$$, but there're some users also pointing out
> > it has rudder drift problem as well. i hesitant to buy it because of
> > it

I've used CH, Microsoft and Logitech. They all work fine but I love the
CH. The unifying driver is part of the stick's software (Throttle,
pedals and stick all have separate USB plugs). CH has long throws - more
accurate. Also has trim wheels on stick and analog toe brakes on pedals.
Haven't noticed drift with any of them. You can set heaps of things in
the software.
--
Mark Lee

"Karl Frank" <karl@karl.frank.name> wrote in message
> xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> The Thrustmaster being the slightly less problematic one as it doesn't
> need a special USB unification driver, the CH one being even more
> programmable. Personally I own a Cougar, so I cannot comment on the CH
> combo, but for the Cougar you can set dead zones, axis shapes and even can
> trim those (as well as the stick axes themselves) IN GAME. So you can be
> sure you will be able to prevent ANY for of drift with it.

You can change the parameters of the joystick axis inflight with CH gear
also and being an ex Cougar user I found the CH gear to be the less
problematic. I only ever calibrate my CH gear once if I install a new
version, it's sometimes been months between calibrations and they work fine.
You can combine CH devices into one device easily by simply pressing a
button or two in the Control Manager GUI it's really that simple, Control
Manager takes care of the rest or for the maximum flexibility in sims that
allow input from more than one controller (just about any new sim supports
this) then you're not tied to the DirectX limits on the number of axis from
a single physical device. I know of users that are using a combination of
the CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals and Throttle Quadrant for sims
such as Falcon and Lock On, Pacific Fighters, WWIIOL etc.