Video Out.

Qess

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
Hi If never tryed using a video-out feature do please forgive my stupid questions: I have an old computer, but its just fast enough to run divx in fullschreen mode without chopping sound or image. Now, Im looking for a tv-out card so I can wach divx on my tv, I'f seen that the REALmagic X-Card(http://www.tomshardware.com/video/02q2/020621/sigma-01.html) is a good tv-out card to get if you have en old computer, but if my computer is fast enough to run the divx in full screen won't I be abel to use any tv out card??? or does the fact that it is tv-out use ekstra cpu resources?
my computer is so old that you can't run a singel program in the background with out the video or audio chopping...
-thanx!
Rasmus - Denmark

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
I don't think tv out uses appreciable system resources. The signal produced is just an s-video representation at the same resolution as your monitor and its all done by the graphics card anyway so I don't see how your system would suffer.

In fact were you to get a card with TV out card the odds are it would be a faster card than the one you are using already, so the net impact will be a speed up.

I say the above in the context of the common graphics cards you hear about on these boards. This realmagic card looks even better for your set up. I have no experience with them but the extra offloading done by the card itself seems to make it a better solution. Graphics processing is very CPU intensive and only a portion of it is done on the graphics card but this card seems to take on a bigger chunk of the burden than do the more common nvidia/ATI/etc cards.

John A