"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:2HBge.529$94.71419@news.xtra.co.nz...
> http://www.sim-news.com/features/2005/alliedforce_interview/index.shtml

Nice interview. One thing I don't like is at the end:

//BEGIN QUOTE//

10. Will the ever growing number of Falcon 4 modders be able to tweak
aspects of the game's engine using a dev supported SDK?

Lead Pursuit recognises the desire for people to customise their gaming
experience. But as a company we have to maintain our commercial
responsibilities, especially concerning the Intellectual Property of the
product. Further details on this will be announced.

//END QUOTE//

I only hope that they don't make the same stupid mistakes. Not that they
need to make it open source, but they need to make it configurable so that
talented modders can generate some kick-ass campaigns, tweak certain aspects
of aircraft performance, and offer options for improved skins.

It sure would be nice if they had an "aircraft developer kit" that the
public could use to create their own aircraft, like in X-Plane. And create
one's own MPD, etc. That would be kick-ass, but I am getting off the true
topic, so I digress.

Either way, I hope this thing takes flight (pun intended) and is successful
because that may be enough for other game developers to at least take notice
and possibly jump on the band wagon. Then maybe we can end up with the vast
number of flight sims thrown our way during the 90's.

And... could we ever imagine a flight sim so fantastic that it would capture
our attention for months/years on end? Without interuption from the
wannabe's?
"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> http://www.sim-news.com/features/2005/alliedforce_interview/index.shtml
>>

> Nice interview. One thing I don't like is at the end:
>
> //BEGIN QUOTE//
>
> 10. Will the ever growing number of Falcon 4 modders be able to tweak
> aspects of the game's engine using a dev supported SDK?
>
> Lead Pursuit recognises the desire for people to customise their gaming
> experience. But as a company we have to maintain our commercial
> responsibilities, especially concerning the Intellectual Property of the
> product. Further details on this will be announced.
>
> //END QUOTE//
>
> I only hope that they don't make the same stupid mistakes. Not that they
> need to make it open source, but they need to make it configurable so that
> talented modders can generate some kick-ass campaigns, tweak certain
> aspects of aircraft performance, and offer options for improved skins.
>
> It sure would be nice if they had an "aircraft developer kit" that the
> public could use to create their own aircraft, like in X-Plane. And create
> one's own MPD, etc. That would be kick-ass, but I am getting off the true
> topic, so I digress.
>
> Either way, I hope this thing takes flight (pun intended) and is
> successful because that may be enough for other game developers to at
> least take notice and possibly jump on the band wagon. Then maybe we can
> end up with the vast number of flight sims thrown our way during the 90's.

I don't think anyone could make as big a mistake as Hasborg did when
they owned Falcon 4.

Its good to see some of the long standing Falcon 4 modders getting
involved in the project and *hopefully* earning some cash from all
their hard work.

Personally I'd rather see a stable unified release of the game than
have a huge array of add-ons to manage. I played the most Falcon when
it was Original -> 108us -> IBeta patches. Once the patches and mods
got much beyond that level I found the game changed too much and ended
up re-learning it each time.

On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:21:02 -0400, HockeyTownUSA wrote:

>"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>> http://www.sim-news.com/features/2005/alliedforce_interview/index.shtml
>>

>Nice interview. One thing I don't like is at the end:
>
>//BEGIN QUOTE//
>
>10. Will the ever growing number of Falcon 4 modders be able to tweak
>aspects of the game's engine using a dev supported SDK?
>
>Lead Pursuit recognises the desire for people to customise their gaming
>experience. But as a company we have to maintain our commercial
>responsibilities, especially concerning the Intellectual Property of the
>product. Further details on this will be announced.
>
>//END QUOTE//

>I only hope that they don't make the same stupid mistakes. Not that they
>need to make it open source, but they need to make it configurable so that
>talented modders can generate some kick-ass campaigns, tweak certain aspects
>of aircraft performance, and offer options for improved skins.

Quite agree. You only have to look as far as the undeniably mediochre
MS FS series to see what can be done by 3rd parties.

I think the trouble with all these disaparate F4 groups is that there
are just too many egos around and that think F4 is some big fat cash
cow.

Adamski.

"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:21:02 -0400, HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>

>>"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> http://www.sim-news.com/features/2005/alliedforce_interview/index.shtml
>>>

>>Nice interview. One thing I don't like is at the end:
>>
>>//BEGIN QUOTE//
>>
>>10. Will the ever growing number of Falcon 4 modders be able to tweak
>>aspects of the game's engine using a dev supported SDK?
>>
>>Lead Pursuit recognises the desire for people to customise their gaming
>>experience. But as a company we have to maintain our commercial
>>responsibilities, especially concerning the Intellectual Property of the
>>product. Further details on this will be announced.
>>
>>//END QUOTE//
>
>>I only hope that they don't make the same stupid mistakes. Not that they
>>need to make it open source, but they need to make it configurable so that
>>talented modders can generate some kick-ass campaigns, tweak certain
>>aspects
>>of aircraft performance, and offer options for improved skins.
>
> Quite agree. You only have to look as far as the undeniably mediochre
> MS FS series to see what can be done by 3rd parties.
>
> I think the trouble with all these disaparate F4 groups is that there
> are just too many egos around and that think F4 is some big fat cash
> cow.
>
> Adamski.

Not only that, as I re-read it, the question about it being Falcon 5 and
them agreeing is a little strange. I would consider it Falcon 4.5. But not
Falcon 5. It is more of the same, just more stable and with improved
graphics. Of course that doesn't stop Windows utility and application
developers from selling minor upgrades as whole new products :(

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.sim-news.com/features/2005/alliedforce_interview/index.shtml
>>

> Nice interview. One thing I don't like is at the end:
>
> //BEGIN QUOTE//
>
> 10. Will the ever growing number of Falcon 4 modders be able to tweak
> aspects of the game's engine using a dev supported SDK?
>
> Lead Pursuit recognises the desire for people to customise their gaming
> experience. But as a company we have to maintain our commercial
> responsibilities, especially concerning the Intellectual Property of the
> product. Further details on this will be announced.
>
> //END QUOTE//
>
> I only hope that they don't make the same stupid mistakes. Not that they
> need to make it open source, but they need to make it configurable so that
> talented modders can generate some kick-ass campaigns, tweak certain aspects
> of aircraft performance, and offer options for improved skins.
>
> It sure would be nice if they had an "aircraft developer kit" that the
> public could use to create their own aircraft, like in X-Plane. And create
> one's own MPD, etc. That would be kick-ass, but I am getting off the true
> topic, so I digress.
>
> Either way, I hope this thing takes flight (pun intended) and is successful
> because that may be enough for other game developers to at least take notice
> and possibly jump on the band wagon. Then maybe we can end up with the vast
> number of flight sims thrown our way during the 90's.

This is the genius that is MS Flight Simulator. Its extensibility has
made it a perennial best seller. Not sure why a gaming company would
NOT allow addons. Seems like they would get rich by creating a platform
and then allowing the hackers and scratchers to make it better. Its a
proven model regardless of gaming genre.

Games that are locked down belong on a console. Locked down games on PC
die.

Eric