Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

"Local Area Connection" Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration

Last response: in Networking
Share
November 21, 2012 10:15:20 PM

Hi everyone.

---------------------------------------
PC 'A' = Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit-----
PC 'B' = Win XP SP3 32 bit-------------
---------------------------------------

I'm having a problem setting up a wired LAN. (Just a cable running from PC 'A' to PC 'B')
The issue is that neither of the computers are seeing the other.

I have the little yellow error triangle showing on the network icon in the notification area on the desktop.
When I trouble shoot this, I am given the error: {"Local Area Connection" Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration}

Here is what I got when I typed 'ipconfig /all' into Command Prompt:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Spangenbergs>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EMACHINE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-78-D2-C6-D3-53
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.192.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E2F07A0A-CC9D-4DAE-A92C-031BCC389E0F}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
AUS_Doug.
November 21, 2012 10:44:34 PM

Are you using a crossover cable?
Score
0
November 21, 2012 11:51:45 PM

In a direct connect situation you have to manually assign the IP addresses and netmasks as there is no DHCP server. The auto assigned IP's rarely if ever work.
Score
0
Related resources
November 22, 2012 12:13:03 AM

@ aford10:
I've got no idea. All I know is that it's blue and works when I try connecting PC 'A' to my friend's Win7 Laptop

@ex_bubblehead:
Any chance you could tell me how to do that?
Or direct me to a set of instructions somewhere?
Score
0

Best solution

November 22, 2012 12:17:13 AM
Share
November 22, 2012 12:40:52 AM

Best answer selected by AUS_Doug.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 12:43:03 AM

On PC 'A', I used the information from the first example, leaving the 'Default Gateway' blank because I don't know what that is.

What numbers do I have to assign PC 'B'?
Score
0
November 22, 2012 12:50:50 AM

You don't need a gateway. Just increment the 4th (last) set by 1
Score
0
November 22, 2012 12:57:00 AM

Now the error I'm getting on PC 'A' can't be identified by the troubleshooter.
Do you want me to post the 'ipconfig /all' again?
Score
0
November 22, 2012 1:03:55 AM

Let's simplify.

Use this setup:

PC 'A':
Address: 192.168.0.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: leave blank

PC 'B':
Address: 192.168.0.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: leave blank

Open a command window on each:

On PC 'A' type 'ping 192.168.0.2' (without quotes) then hit <return>
there should be 4 lines showing <1ms return.

On PC 'B' type 'ping 192.168.0.1' (without quotes) then hit <return>
there should be 4 lines showing <1ms return.

If this test is successful you are ready to do whatever it is you started out to do.

This is all predicated on the assumption that the NIC's have autosensing ports and do not require a crossover cable.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 1:11:43 AM

On both machines I get the message "Destination host unreachable" four times.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 1:13:16 AM

AUS_Doug said:
On both machines I get the message "Destination host unreachable" four times.


Then you'll need either a crossover cable or switch.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 1:15:31 AM

Ok, I know that several local stores have those. Never known what they were for though :) 

Are you able to tell me if there is a particular type I need?
Or does that depend on my particular network cards?
Score
0
November 22, 2012 1:21:25 AM

If you're referring to a crossover cable then no, it doesn't make any difference what NIC you have. You just have to make absolutely certain that the word 'crossover' is either on the packaging or printed on the cable itself. Quite often crossovers are either orange or red, though that's not any sort of standard.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 1:24:13 AM

Excellent, thank you very much mate!
Glad there was someone with the answers I needed, or I was probably just gonna replace the NIC in the XP machine.
Really made my day this has!
Score
0
November 22, 2012 2:30:17 AM

A standard ethernet cable has different wiring from a crossover cable. You can tell by looking at the colors of the tips on the crimp. That is why I asked if you had a crossover cable. It is required for this type of connection.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 2:35:43 AM

aford10 said:
A standard ethernet cable has different wiring from a crossover cable. You can tell by looking at the colors of the tips on the crimp. That is why I asked if you had a crossover cable. It is required for this type of connection.


Not in every case. HP Elitebook laptops for instance have smart ports that work with either. That's why I proceeded based on the assumption that at least one of the PC's may have been autosensing.
Score
0
November 22, 2012 3:23:56 AM

I haven't seen that feature yet. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.
Score
0
November 28, 2012 12:29:04 AM

Just a quick update:
The 20m Crossover cable I got off ebay ($2.50) arrived yesterday, and everything works great now.
Thanks for your help.
Score
0
January 7, 2013 11:16:05 AM

Try using a switch, or a router.
That works perfectly well even without much configuration.

But still you can check on windows 7, the Open Network & Sharing Center, Go to Chenge Advance Sharing Settings and Turn on all the items.

That may work, before sorting to the use of switch.


(Joseph M Odhiambo)
AUS_Doug said:
Hi everyone.

---------------------------------------
PC 'A' = Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit-----
PC 'B' = Win XP SP3 32 bit-------------
---------------------------------------

I'm having a problem setting up a wired LAN. (Just a cable running from PC 'A' to PC 'B')
The issue is that neither of the computers are seeing the other.

I have the little yellow error triangle showing on the network icon in the notification area on the desktop.
When I trouble shoot this, I am given the error: {"Local Area Connection" Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration}

Here is what I got when I typed 'ipconfig /all' into Command Prompt:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Spangenbergs>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EMACHINE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-78-D2-C6-D3-53
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.192.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E2F07A0A-CC9D-4DAE-A92C-031BCC389E0F}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Reusable Microsoft 6To4 Adapter:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
AUS_Doug.

Score
0
January 7, 2013 3:41:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
Score
0
!