Wanted Thrustmaster *RCS* Rudder spring

I was in such traumarthat my original header said "TQS" when - as we
all know - it should be "RCS"!!! Well - you never know - *someone* out
there might have one!

===

There I was ... stomping hard right ... chaff & flares going like
crazy ... when *PLINK!!* ... that SAM must've been closer than I
thought!! Now I'm not normally the one to complain about damage
modelling ...

Does anyone have a spare spring for this venerable piece of kit?

Not a huge part, so postage to sheep-shagging Kiwiland shouldn't be a
problem!

Adamski.

In article <n8u781h9bcd5qof5os8pnqi7hne60fk6bt@4ax.com>, anon@nowhere.com
(Adamski) wrote:

> *someone* out there might have one!

Where has the original spring broken? If it's near one end sometimes you
can bend off a loop and reconnect it. Depends on how the spring's
attached, obviously, but I used this method to extend the life of some
racing pedals twice, and I stopped using the pedals before I had to find a
replacement spring.

Of course if the spring's died somewhere in the middle you're stuffed. You
could stretch it, but the lessened tension might not be enough to do the
job it's supposed to.

Andrew McP... currently using his own pedals for split thrust in LOMAC
1.1, which will probably kill springs very quickly indeed!

If you can't find anything, check here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look to
the bottom right corner under "springs". You might be able to match it
there by physical description.

Dirk

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:55 +0100 (BST), Andrew MacPherson wrote:

>In article <n8u781h9bcd5qof5os8pnqi7hne60fk6bt@4ax.com>, anon@nowhere.com
>(Adamski) wrote:
>
>> *someone* out there might have one!
>
>Where has the original spring broken? If it's near one end sometimes you
>can bend off a loop and reconnect it. Depends on how the spring's
>attached, obviously, but I used this method to extend the life of some
>racing pedals twice, and I stopped using the pedals before I had to find a
>replacement spring.
>
>Of course if the spring's died somewhere in the middle you're stuffed. You
>could stretch it, but the lessened tension might not be enough to do the
>job it's supposed to.
>
>Andrew McP... currently using his own pedals for split thrust in LOMAC
>1.1, which will probably kill springs very quickly indeed!

Sadly ... and typically ... it broke off just near the coil. I've
managed to re-make a new one out of a bit of mild stee rod (now how am
I going to hang up my shirt??), but it's a bit of a kludge and I don't
expect to last more than 10 sorties in that well known video program -
LOMAC.

Adamski.

In article <ttq881ppk25ncmqlt1kf0gmpq7qfpjlgbe@4ax.com>, anon@nowhere.com
(Adamski) wrote:

> it broke off just near the coil

That ought to be the best possible vase then (it seems to be the normal
failure mode of springs thankfully). Bend away one loop of spring from the
coil (two pairs of pliers might be required unless you have Popeye arms
from a year or two of sheep wrestling) and use that loop to attach it to
whatever lug it ought to be hooked on. Or something like that. I'd draw an
ascii diagram, but I'm not sure a naked woman draw out of O's and Y's
would help.

Andrew McP

In article
<memo.20050513113427.2460A@address_disguised.address_disguised>,
andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

> best possible vase

Though it might look a little silly with flowers stuck in it.

Andrew McP

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:41:40 GMT, Dirk Gross wrote:

>If you can't find anything, check here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look to
>the bottom right corner under "springs". You might be able to match it
>there by physical description.

Thanks for that, Dirk. A very clever site. Amazing how it steps you
through all the choices. Still haven't got it to produce a spring
roughly to the right spec, but I'll have another go!

Adamski.

I remember buying two springs from someone back when I played Warbirds a
lot. I should still have one around somewhere. I found a spare trigger and
switch for my old TM Mark ? joystick but haven't found the spring yet. I
live in the states but will send it to you if I can find it. I could always
send you my old RCS but I'm sure that would be real expensive. Don't want
to take the good spring out of it since I could never sell it that way.

Bob W.

"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I was in such traumarthat my original header said "TQS" when - as we
> all know - it should be "RCS"!!! Well - you never know - *someone* out
> there might have one!
>
> ===
>
> There I was ... stomping hard right ... chaff & flares going like
> crazy ... when *PLINK!!* ... that SAM must've been closer than I
> thought!! Now I'm not normally the one to complain about damage
> modelling ...
>
> Does anyone have a spare spring for this venerable piece of kit?
>
> Not a huge part, so postage to sheep-shagging Kiwiland shouldn't be a
> problem!
>
> Adamski.

Well, maybe this might help from
http://www.flyfoxy.com/ThrustmasterFAQ.html#Topic4.3.3 Some links seem to be
dead, though.

3.) Where can we get replacement parts for our controllers?

Guillemot/Thrustmaster are supplying kits that you can purchase online
containing spare parts for those who are keen to refurbish their controllers
themselves. This is a quote from their site:

"To provide customers with the best possible service, after-warrantee
support will be offered to Thrustmaster customers. From now on, when wear
and tear affects a product after the warrantee has expired, customers can
extend the life of that product by repairing it themselves. Customers will
be able to go on-line at www.thrustmaster.com and purchase spare parts kits
for a nominal price. Thrustmaster will make the repairs easier for the
customers by providing clear descriptions of the simple procedures on the
on-line Support Page."

If you're after triggers, switches and hats, then I picked up this snippet
from Jan in the newsgroup.

For triggers, you will need to buy a new Omron B3F switch, type 4050 or 4055
(4050 needs 1.27 Newton and 4055 needs 2.55 Newton. I would suggest 4050 so
the internals of the stick aren't stressed too much. For those of you
wondering... FLCS and F-22 Pro hats use 4 Omron switches also B3F type, but
with a 6*6 mm house instead of the 12*12 mm house used for trigger/buttons.
Probably serial 100,1002 and 1005 (again, different force, 0.98 , 1.47 and
2.55 Newton). Omron has a website at http://www.omron.com, that should help
you find a dealer nearby."

There's also another site containing information on replacement F-22 Pots.
Here's the link: F-22 Potentiometer Replacement.

If you're after RCS springs, then try here: Stacy Harley's RCS springs. I've
also had mail from David Bilenkey ((bilenkey@nortelnetworks.com) and he may
have RCS springs available, as he's been looking at getting a batch made up.

I would also recommend that you visit the Thrustmaster Resource Center
maintained by Jan-Albert Van Ree. There's loads of information on his site
regarding looking after and maintaining your controllers.

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:41:40 GMT, Dirk Gross wrote:
>
>>If you can't find anything, check here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look
>>the bottom right corner under "springs". You might be able to match it
>>there by physical description.
>
> Thanks for that, Dirk. A very clever site. Amazing how it steps you
> through all the choices. Still haven't got it to produce a spring
> roughly to the right spec, but I'll have another go!
>
> Adamski.

Found the link to Hurley's springs:
http://www.hurleyspring.com/quote/quote4.htm

"Dirk Gross" <a@a.com> wrote in message
> Well, maybe this might help from
> http://www.flyfoxy.com/ThrustmasterFAQ.html#Topic4.3.3 Some links seem to
> be dead, though.
>
> 3.) Where can we get replacement parts for our controllers?
>
> Guillemot/Thrustmaster are supplying kits that you can purchase online
> containing spare parts for those who are keen to refurbish their
> controllers themselves. This is a quote from their site:
>
> "To provide customers with the best possible service, after-warrantee
> support will be offered to Thrustmaster customers. From now on, when wear
> and tear affects a product after the warrantee has expired, customers can
> extend the life of that product by repairing it themselves. Customers will
> be able to go on-line at www.thrustmaster.com and purchase spare parts
> kits for a nominal price. Thrustmaster will make the repairs easier for
> the customers by providing clear descriptions of the simple procedures on
> the on-line Support Page."
>
> If you're after triggers, switches and hats, then I picked up this snippet
> from Jan in the newsgroup.
>
> For triggers, you will need to buy a new Omron B3F switch, type 4050 or
> 4055 (4050 needs 1.27 Newton and 4055 needs 2.55 Newton. I would suggest
> 4050 so the internals of the stick aren't stressed too much. For those of
> you wondering... FLCS and F-22 Pro hats use 4 Omron switches also B3F
> type, but with a 6*6 mm house instead of the 12*12 mm house used for
> trigger/buttons. Probably serial 100,1002 and 1005 (again, different
> force, 0.98 , 1.47 and 2.55 Newton). Omron has a website at
> http://www.omron.com, that should help you find a dealer nearby."
>
> There's also another site containing information on replacement F-22 Pots.
> Here's the link: F-22 Potentiometer Replacement.
>
> If you're after RCS springs, then try here: Stacy Harley's RCS springs.
> I've also had mail from David Bilenkey ((bilenkey@nortelnetworks.com) and
> he may have RCS springs available, as he's been looking at getting a batch
> made up.
>
> I would also recommend that you visit the Thrustmaster Resource Center
> maintained by Jan-Albert Van Ree. There's loads of information on his site
> regarding looking after and maintaining your controllers.
>
> "Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:41:40 GMT, Dirk Gross wrote:
>>
>>>If you can't find anything, check here: http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look
>>>the bottom right corner under "springs". You might be able to match it
>>>there by physical description.
>>
>> Thanks for that, Dirk. A very clever site. Amazing how it steps you
>> through all the choices. Still haven't got it to produce a spring
>> roughly to the right spec, but I'll have another go!
>>
>> Adamski.

Thanks to all that offered help on this ...

A friend of mine kindly offered to make me a spring from scratch in
his workshop, made from stainless steel spring rod. Works a treat! I'm
asking him to make me a spare or two <ggg>.

So ... I'm back in the air again :))

Adamski.

David

Adamski,

I don't know if you still need an RCS spring, but if you do I still have
some that I had made about 5 years ago.

Price for the spring(s) is:

1 spring, $7.50 US ($9.00 CDN), plus postage

2 springs, $14.00 US ($16.50 CDN), plus postage

3 or more springs $6.00 US ($7.50 CDN) each spring, plus postage

Postage: $3.00 US for the non-Canadian addresses should cover off all the
postage variables. For the Canadians postage would be $3.00 CDN. (I'm in
Canada btw).

Email me and we can work out the payment details, PayPal, cheque or money
orders are fine.

Cheers,

David Bilenkey
P/O -wabb-