decent cheap mic to capture instruments to audio card?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 24, 2004 9:43:20 PM

What would be a decent microphone that can plug directly into my analog
sound card input (1/4" stereo jack) which would record woodwinds/ brass?

Thanks,
Will
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:43:21 PM

In article <YQRed.6436$5i5.1041@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> xxxxx@yyy.zzz writes:

> What would be a decent microphone that can plug directly into my analog
> sound card input (1/4" stereo jack) which would record woodwinds/ brass?

A Shure SM57. Are you sure your sound card has a 1/4" stereo mic input
jack? Or is it a mini stereo line input jack? Or a mini stereo mic
input jack? or a mini mono mic input jack?

It would help if we knew what your sound card is, since we don't know
who you are and whether you know for sure what a 1/4" stereo jack is.
Typically computer sound cards have mini (1/8") jacks, stereo for a
line level input, sometimes mono and sometimes stereo for the mic
level input.

October 25, 2004 4:21:37 AM

> In article <YQRed.6436$5i5.1041@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>
xxxxx@yyy.zzz writes:

> > What would be a decent microphone that can plug directly into my analog
> > sound card input (1/4" stereo jack) which would record woodwinds/ brass?
>
> A Shure SM57. Are you sure your sound card has a 1/4" stereo mic input
> jack? Or is it a mini stereo line input jack? Or a mini stereo mic
> input jack? or a mini mono mic input jack?
>
> It would help if we knew what your sound card is, since we don't know
> who you are and whether you know for sure what a 1/4" stereo jack is.
> Typically computer sound cards have mini (1/8") jacks, stereo for a
> line level input, sometimes mono and sometimes stereo for the mic
> level input.

Hi Mike,

Sorry about so many posts of this question! I had my ng filter on and for
some reason I couldn't see my questions and thought they weren't going
through. My apologies. Anyway, my sound card is a Prodif Plus, which has
an analog 1/4" stereo jack input which I would like to use for the mic if
possible. Would the Shure work?

Thanks,
Will

October 25, 2004 4:21:38 AM

"Will Ashlock" wrote ...
> Sorry about so many posts of this question! I had my ng filter on and for
> some reason I couldn't see my questions and thought they weren't going
> through. My apologies. Anyway, my sound card is a Prodif Plus, which has
> an analog 1/4" stereo jack input which I would like to use for the mic if
> possible. Would the Shure work?

In looking at the vendor's description web page...
http://www.sekd.com/product_main/pplus_info.htm
I don't see anything that indicates the card has a mic-level
input. Chances are 99.9% that the inputs and outputs are
line level and not suitable for connection to any conventional
microphone.

You need a mic preamp somewhere in the line between your
microphone and the input to your sound card.
!