Help: Zodiac 2 and MP3 music.

May 22, 2004 7:35:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I just received my Zodiac 2 yesterday and was anxious to try everything out.
When I open the Palm Desktop software that came with the Zodiac, it has the
added icon for music on the interface on the left hand tool bar. When I
click on it all I get is a blank page within the Palm Desktop and a small
red 'x' in the top left corner just like you would get on a web page when an
image failed to load. Thinking that this may be a feature that needs to be
connected to the internet once before it works I closed the Palm Desktop,
connected to the internet and tried again. Same thing happened. Uninstalled
the software and reinstalled. Same thing. Anyone out there have any ideas??
Help please.

Regards,

-Skon

More about : zodiac mp3 music

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:16:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Try www.tapland.com great bunch of guys and dedicated to our beloved "Z".

"[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just received my Zodiac 2 yesterday and was anxious to try everything
>out.
> When I open the Palm Desktop software that came with the Zodiac, it has
> the
> added icon for music on the interface on the left hand tool bar. When I
> click on it all I get is a blank page within the Palm Desktop and a small
> red 'x' in the top left corner just like you would get on a web page when
> an
> image failed to load. Thinking that this may be a feature that needs to be
> connected to the internet once before it works I closed the Palm Desktop,
> connected to the internet and tried again. Same thing happened.
> Uninstalled
> the software and reinstalled. Same thing. Anyone out there have any
> ideas??
> Help please.
>

> Regards,
>
> -Skon

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:12:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <10avhskonqc9j24@corp.supernews.com>,
skonofvulcan@hotmail.com says...
> I just received my Zodiac 2 yesterday and was anxious to try everything out.
> When I open the Palm Desktop software that came with the Zodiac, it has the
> added icon for music on the interface on the left hand tool bar. When I
> click on it all I get is a blank page within the Palm Desktop and a small
> red 'x' in the top left corner just like you would get on a web page when an
> image failed to load. Thinking that this may be a feature that needs to be
> connected to the internet once before it works I closed the Palm Desktop,
> connected to the internet and tried again. Same thing happened. Uninstalled
> the software and reinstalled. Same thing. Anyone out there have any ideas??
> Help please.
>

> Regards,
>
> -Skon

Tapwave's version of the PalmDesktop defaults that first screen to
Tapwave's website. So, if you don't have an internet connection you'll
get that X (just like any other browser).

Make sure your Internet connection is good then try it again. Also
you should still be able to use Palm Desktop even though you get that X.
May 25, 2004 12:12:32 AM

"Stromm Sarnac" <strommsarnac@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <10avhskonqc9j24@corp.supernews.com>,
> skonofvulcan@hotmail.com says...
> > I just received my Zodiac 2 yesterday and was anxious to try everything
out.
> > When I open the Palm Desktop software that came with the Zodiac, it has
the
> > added icon for music on the interface on the left hand tool bar. When I
> > click on it all I get is a blank page within the Palm Desktop and a
small
> > red 'x' in the top left corner just like you would get on a web page
when an
> > image failed to load. Thinking that this may be a feature that needs to
be
> > connected to the internet once before it works I closed the Palm
Desktop,
> > connected to the internet and tried again. Same thing happened.
Uninstalled
> > the software and reinstalled. Same thing. Anyone out there have any
ideas??
> > Help please.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > -Skon
> >

> Tapwave's version of the PalmDesktop defaults that first screen to
> Tapwave's website. So, if you don't have an internet connection you'll
> get that X (just like any other browser).
>
> Make sure your Internet connection is good then try it again. Also
> you should still be able to use Palm Desktop even though you get that X.

I was online the first time. It does this in the "Picture" and "Music"
screens to as noted above, even if you are online. It's not the default to
the first screen with Tapwaves website that I am asking about but the two
icons "Picture" and "Music" on the left-hand side that are supposed to
display software so I can put MP3's and pictures on my Zodiac. I also
discovered today that Kinoma doesn't work either. It gives me an error about
needing Apple QuickTime's 'content creation' pluggin installed. I didn't
have QuickTime at all... so I uninstalled all of the Palm Desktop software
and everything else that came with the Zodiac, downloaded QuickTime and
installed it, reinstalled all of the Palm related software from Tapwave's CD
that came with the Zodiac, re-downloaded the updates and installed from
Tapwave's update website etc. etc. etc. Still same three applications in
Palm Desktop do display there icons but do not work: Music, Pictures and
Kinoma. So far the only response I've received from Tapwave was to
'reinstall the desktop software'. I've done that, uninstalled, re-downloaded
and reinstalled and done everything short of using debug, fdisk, format and
reinstall XP Pro. It's like these three applications don't even exist.

Regards,

-Skon
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:14:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

SNIP

> I was online the first time. It does this in the "Picture" and "Music"
> screens to as noted above, even if you are online. It's not the default to
> the first screen with Tapwaves website that I am asking about but the two
> icons "Picture" and "Music" on the left-hand side that are supposed to
> display software so I can put MP3's and pictures on my Zodiac. I also
> discovered today that Kinoma doesn't work either. It gives me an error
about
> needing Apple QuickTime's 'content creation' pluggin installed. I didn't
> have QuickTime at all... so I uninstalled all of the Palm Desktop software
> and everything else that came with the Zodiac, downloaded QuickTime and
> installed it, reinstalled all of the Palm related software from Tapwave's
CD
> that came with the Zodiac, re-downloaded the updates and installed from
> Tapwave's update website etc. etc. etc. Still same three applications in
> Palm Desktop do display there icons but do not work: Music, Pictures and
> Kinoma. So far the only response I've received from Tapwave was to
> 'reinstall the desktop software'. I've done that, uninstalled,
re-downloaded
> and reinstalled and done everything short of using debug, fdisk, format
and
> reinstall XP Pro. It's like these three applications don't even exist.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Skon

I don't know why but XP Pro seems to be problematic. I hear about lots of
problems from people with XP Pro that don't occur with plain ol' XP Home
edition. Did you, by chance, install XP Pro with an NT file system instead
of FAT 32? I am not even sure XP Pro supports FAT 32 but that might be one
cause of compatibility issues. Also make sure you are Admin when you install
on XP (of any flavor) and that all Virus scanning SW is disabled. You
probably did all that but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Interestingly enough, I have a T3 and I do not get any Music icon in Palm
Desktop. I believe there is a way to load MP3s via Real Player but I
normally don't use that I just copy the files to the SD card via a USB card
reader/writer. I do have the Palm Photos icon and that seems to work OK. I
also don't have a Kinoma icon. I just fire up Kinoma separately and it seems
to work OK (the free version that comes with the Palm is locked as to the
conversion parameters and doesn't really produce the best video anyways so I
hardly use it).

Sorry I couldn't offer more specific help.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:14:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> I don't know why but XP Pro seems to be problematic. I hear about lots of
> problems from people with XP Pro that don't occur with plain ol' XP Home
> edition. Did you, by chance, install XP Pro with an NT file system instead
> of FAT 32? I am not even sure XP Pro supports FAT 32 but that might be one
> cause of compatibility issues. Also make sure you are Admin when you
install
> on XP (of any flavor) and that all Virus scanning SW is disabled. You
> probably did all that but I thought I would mention it just in case.
>
> Interestingly enough, I have a T3 and I do not get any Music icon in Palm
> Desktop. I believe there is a way to load MP3s via Real Player but I
> normally don't use that I just copy the files to the SD card via a USB
card
> reader/writer. I do have the Palm Photos icon and that seems to work OK. I
> also don't have a Kinoma icon. I just fire up Kinoma separately and it
seems
> to work OK (the free version that comes with the Palm is locked as to the
> conversion parameters and doesn't really produce the best video anyways so
> hardly use it).
>
> Sorry I couldn't offer more specific help.
>
> Cheers
> TC

No problems with XP Pro. In my experience it's more stable then home and yes
I'm the admin. (I'm in MIS dept. of a major IT corp.) I have the HD
formatted FAT32. It's just since the install of the Zodiac version of the
Palm Desktop that these features no longer work. Prior to this they did work
with my other Palm OS devices. (At least the ones that support it.) I can
always put MP3's on the Zodiac via Card Export (www.softick.com) which lets
you access the card in the Palm as if the Palm was a card reader. I will use
this for the pictures to as soon as I can figure out what format they need
to be for the Zodiac's built in viewer. I would rather use the software
included and not have to use another app for picture viewing like ACDsee. It
just bugs me that application that comes with a brand new product just
doesn't work. I'll try it on a different OS tomorrow just to see if it is a
XP Pro issue as you could be right. Despite what I think! ;-)

Regards,

-Skon
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:29:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
SNIP

> No problems with XP Pro. In my experience it's more stable then home and
yes
> I'm the admin. (I'm in MIS dept. of a major IT corp.) I have the HD
> formatted FAT32. It's just since the install of the Zodiac version of the
> Palm Desktop that these features no longer work. Prior to this they did
work
> with my other Palm OS devices. (At least the ones that support it.) I can
> always put MP3's on the Zodiac via Card Export (www.softick.com) which
lets
> you access the card in the Palm as if the Palm was a card reader. I will
use
> this for the pictures to as soon as I can figure out what format they need
> to be for the Zodiac's built in viewer. I would rather use the software
> included and not have to use another app for picture viewing like ACDsee.
It
> just bugs me that application that comes with a brand new product just
> doesn't work. I'll try it on a different OS tomorrow just to see if it is
> XP Pro issue as you could be right. Despite what I think! ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> -Skon

The photo app on the T3 uses straight JPG. I can copy JPGs over to the card
and they display just fine. I'll bet the Zodiac will do the same. You may
need to put them into the proper directory (I can't remember the exact dir
structure for the T3).

With regards to the icons/applications in the desktop. Are you sure that the
Zodiac supports these applications? It's possible that the music app is unit
specific. I was under the impression that the Zodiac did not use the Palm
Real Player but I could be wrong about that. As I mentioned I don't have
either a Music nor Kinoma icon in my Palm Desktop (using a T3). I do have a
Palm Photos icon which allows me to load pics into the T3 and keep them
synchronized (an odd concept really, is a pic actually going to change?)

If you have to deinstall-reinstall you may want to make sure that the
registry is cleaned out pretty well. I have seen cases where the Palm
uninstall (as well as other applications) does not really clean things up
properly and upon a reinstall some registry values don't get overwritten
properly.

Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing what the final solution is.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:29:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> The photo app on the T3 uses straight JPG. I can copy JPGs over to the
card
> and they display just fine. I'll bet the Zodiac will do the same. You may
> need to put them into the proper directory (I can't remember the exact dir
> structure for the T3).
>
> With regards to the icons/applications in the desktop. Are you sure that
the
> Zodiac supports these applications? It's possible that the music app is
unit
> specific. I was under the impression that the Zodiac did not use the Palm
> Real Player but I could be wrong about that. As I mentioned I don't have
> either a Music nor Kinoma icon in my Palm Desktop (using a T3). I do have
> Palm Photos icon which allows me to load pics into the T3 and keep them
> synchronized (an odd concept really, is a pic actually going to change?)
>
> If you have to deinstall-reinstall you may want to make sure that the
> registry is cleaned out pretty well. I have seen cases where the Palm
> uninstall (as well as other applications) does not really clean things up
> properly and upon a reinstall some registry values don't get overwritten
> properly.
>
> Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing what the final solution is.
>
> Cheers
> TC

Yes those applications came with the Zodiac 2. Both there music player and
picture viewer are pre-installed on the Zodiac and have there own "Zodiac
optimized" interface. The music player works on the Zodiac when I use Card
export. It just doesn't function in the desktop application. I may just try
using Card Export and see if JPG's work in the picture viewer. And then of
course the same with Kinoma. If that's true I'll go that way, but I still
would like a solution from Zodiac's tech support. I've only received 2
e-mails to my five (all with the same case number). The first was "reinstall
the desktop software" and the second e-mail a few hours latter was "Thanks
for contacting us! We are happy that your problem was resolved." that was
after my 2nd e-mail asking for help. Nice huh? BTW thanks for the idea about
cleaning it up in the registry. That vary well may be the solution as I have
had up until recently 5 different Palm devices that were all different makes
and models syncing to this same system. So that would make sense. I'll let
everyone know what the final solution is. Even if it's cutting the Zodiac 2
in half with a plasma arc welder. ;-)

Regards,

-Skon

--
"Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it
holds the universe together."

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <10b5pakrj4nq9b9@corp.supernews.com>,
skonofvulcan@hotmail.com says...

> > The photo app on the T3 uses straight JPG. I can copy JPGs over to the
> card
> > and they display just fine. I'll bet the Zodiac will do the same. You may
> > need to put them into the proper directory (I can't remember the exact dir
> > structure for the T3).
> >
> > With regards to the icons/applications in the desktop. Are you sure that
> the
> > Zodiac supports these applications? It's possible that the music app is
> unit
Odd stuff. My guess is that since you have had so many versions of
the Desktop on your PC, it's buggered up the registry and folders.

I Run XP Pro on all my workstations and don't have any problems with
it and Palm Desktop (Your user account DOES have LOCAL Admin Rights,
right?).

Tapwave really customized the Palm Desktop and other sub-apps for the
Zods.

I would backup all your data, Add/Remove the Palm Desktop and other
Palm Apps, Reboot to Safe mode, Delete applicable registry entries AND
folders/files on your HDD.

If you rename your palmdesktop profile and move it to a backup
folder/disk you can later import parts.

DO NOT import/copy the whole folder/subs back. That will likely bring
back whatever problems you are now having.

Don't forget about the Zodiac forums.

www.tapland.com
www.zodiacgamer.com
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:12:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

.. My guess is that since you have had so many versions of
> the Desktop on your PC, it's buggered up the registry and folders.
>
> I Run XP Pro on all my workstations and don't have any problems with
> it and Palm Desktop (Your user account DOES have LOCAL Admin Rights,
> right?).
>
> Tapwave really customized the Palm Desktop and other sub-apps for the
> Zods.
>
> I would backup all your data, Add/Remove the Palm Desktop and other
> Palm Apps, Reboot to Safe mode, Delete applicable registry entries AND
> folders/files on your HDD.
>
> If you rename your palmdesktop profile and move it to a backup
> folder/disk you can later import parts.
>
> DO NOT import/copy the whole folder/subs back. That will likely bring
> back whatever problems you are now having.
>
> Don't forget about the Zodiac forums.
>
> www.tapland.com
> www.zodiacgamer.com

Yep. I am local admin. I already did all the steps you listed above last
night. Including removal of all references to Palm, Tapwave, Sony,
Handspring, Kinoma etc. All in safe mode as admin. As I noticed that the
offending parts of the Desktop interface were all HTML based I even set all
of my IE settings back to default. Rebooted, disabled Norton AV, reinstalled
Zodiac's Palm Desktop version in a different directory, hard reset of the
Zodiac 2, sync and you guessed it still have the same problem. So I again
uninstalled all Palm software including Kinoma and downloaded the newest
version of Kinoma Producer from there website... and I think this may be
where the root of the problem is. After installing the newest and greatest
version of Kinoma Producer and trying to open it I get the same error for
Kinoma that I did for it's shortcut in the Palm Desktop (unlike the blank
screen errors with just a red 'x' for a broken HTML picture link for Music
and Pictures). The Kinoma error is again "Quick time authoring components
not installed. Please run update." I have uninstalled QuickTime and removed
from registry and rebooted and reinstalled and Kinoma will still give the
error. So maybe this is a problem with Kinoma or QuickTime???!!?? Weird huh?

Regards,

-Skon

.......Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
......Groucho Marx
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 6:37:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"[]--SkonOfVulcan--[]" <skonofvulcan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
SNIP

> Yep. I am local admin. I already did all the steps you listed above last
> night. Including removal of all references to Palm, Tapwave, Sony,
> Handspring, Kinoma etc. All in safe mode as admin. As I noticed that the
> offending parts of the Desktop interface were all HTML based I even set
all
> of my IE settings back to default. Rebooted, disabled Norton AV,
reinstalled
> Zodiac's Palm Desktop version in a different directory, hard reset of the
> Zodiac 2, sync and you guessed it still have the same problem. So I again
> uninstalled all Palm software including Kinoma and downloaded the newest
> version of Kinoma Producer from there website... and I think this may be
> where the root of the problem is. After installing the newest and greatest
> version of Kinoma Producer and trying to open it I get the same error for
> Kinoma that I did for it's shortcut in the Palm Desktop (unlike the blank
> screen errors with just a red 'x' for a broken HTML picture link for Music
> and Pictures). The Kinoma error is again "Quick time authoring components
> not installed. Please run update." I have uninstalled QuickTime and
removed
> from registry and rebooted and reinstalled and Kinoma will still give the
> error. So maybe this is a problem with Kinoma or QuickTime???!!?? Weird
huh?

> Regards,
>
> -Skon

Yeah you've definitely got a real zinger of a problem on your hands. Of
course I have always suspected those folks over at Apple use Quicktime on
Windows to get revenge on Gate's customers. LOL

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:03:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Test.
!