512MB DDR, 768MB DDR, 1GB DDR

Polarbear1378

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
I am building a new computer as some of you may know. I am putting into it an Athlon XP 2400+, Geforce4 Ti 4600 128MB, 60 GB Seagate Barracude 7200 RPM hard drive...and more but I don't think it matter to my question. Which is...

Will I notice a big difference between 512MB of Corsair DDR, 768MB of Corsair DDR and 1 GB of Corsair DDR? I am using this computer for heavy gaming mostly. Neverwinter Nights and various other games. Thanks for the help guy and gals!

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
As far as I know 512MB DDR should be more than enough for gaming. I think that the only time you 'need' more is if you are big into video editing or rendering.

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>

fastingsetiman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
Hi. 512 is cool, but I would throw in an excellent memory dumper(manager) like memoryzipper plus(www.systweak.com/I think they have a full ver. trial to download)or cacheman; not sure about the URL; a search will easily find it. Of course, I'm talking 98se, but XP being Windows I'm sure it could use it too. Also, keep your start up programs to a minimum and keep other stuff from running in the background to conserve resources, which have nothing to do with memory. You might know all this and this wasn't part of the question, was it?. Sorry. You know, I'd go with 768MB, but make sure in your system.ini file in the [386enh] heading you have MaxPhysPage=30000. If you don't have the line, create it.

RCH