How do i know how much space is required for my backup

aylwardm

Honorable
May 15, 2012
With Windows 7 I can't seem to figure out how much disk space i will need or tailor the selection for backup, I am using a HP utility...

Solution

Backup APPS use varying degrees of compression for the Archive, so best I can suggest is it will be something less than the amount of disk space you are backing up. For example, 80GB drive, containing 21GB, might require like 13 to 15GB of space. Why do you need to know specifically how much space you will need ?

Backup APPS use varying degrees of compression for the Archive, so best I can suggest is it will be something less than the amount of disk space you are backing up. For example, 80GB drive, containing 21GB, might require like 13 to 15GB of space. Why do you need to know specifically how much space you will need ?

Solution

aylwardm

Honorable
May 15, 2012

The main reason is that it wants to put the back up onto a DVD or CD and If it is bigger than one DVD or CD then I would like to know how many I will need to go through every couple of months just backing things up all the time...

aylwardm

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I see know that eventually they tell me I will need 4 DVD's to make a Recovery set of discs.

Seems to be alot of Discs. I have two 1T drives each with about 80-100 GB used. The C has an original partion called Recovery...why would HP do that and then tell me I need disc sets too?

in case your recovery partition gets corrupted or the hard drive fails completely

then you resort to the dvds you make

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'd recommend using an imager - e.g. Acronis or Ghost, and save the image to a protected partition/HDD(internal or preferably external) - I dunno if your HP utility works in this way (i.e. images the OS partition/HDD, I suspect not).