Lockon Flaming Cliffs Product Activation?

Last response: in Video Games
May 23, 2005 1:22:23 AM

WTF is up with this stupid Star Force activation of Flaming Cliffs? It says
to enter my serial number. Where the hell is the serial number? I tried the
reference code provided when I purchased it online. I emailed the guys at
www.lockon.ru to no avail. Is this a scam or what? Nice to blow $35 for
nothing, what a crock!
May 23, 2005 3:56:40 AM

On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:22:23 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

>WTF is up with this stupid Star Force activation of Flaming Cliffs? It says
>to enter my serial number. Where the hell is the serial number? I tried the
>reference code provided when I purchased it online. I emailed the guys at
>www.lockon.ru to no avail. Is this a scam or what? Nice to blow $35 for
>nothing, what a crock!

Email Starforce and they will provide you with a new working code -
hopefully.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 12:48:00 PM

In article <hjv291tk55e18hslanser2id3a4rdj77pp@4ax.com>,
fisher@no_email.here (Fisher) wrote:

> Email Starforce and they will provide you with a new working code -
> hopefully.

Looking around some forums I see he's solved this. The details you need
for the StarForce activation are all on the http://www.lockon.ru/ forum
when you log in to the account you create. It can be a little tricky to
find stuff in ED's website layout though.

Andrew McP
Related resources
May 23, 2005 12:48:01 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:48 +0100 (BST),
andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>Looking around some forums I see he's solved this. The details you need
>for the StarForce activation are all on the http://www.lockon.ru/ forum
>when you log in to the account you create. It can be a little tricky to
>find stuff in ED's website layout though.
>
>Andrew McP

This Starforce shite is worse than Microsoft's activation. At least
Microsoft has 24/7 toll free telephone support if you ever have
problems activating XP, like I actually had to do yesterday. And the
funny thing is it was after playing a Starforce protected game that I
had to reactivate XP. Only other thing I did was install Winamp and on
reboot I was informed that my hardware had significantly changed and
had to activate XP within three days. Doesn't Starforce check your
hardware configuration as part of it's copy protection process? This
particular session of playing Splinter Cell:CT Starforce was taking an
abnormally long time checking the cdrom. Then I finished the game,
installed Winamp, rebooted and got hit with XP activation trigger.
Makes one wonder who is the culprit here. Winamp install or Starforce?
I'm thinking Starforce right now because of how Starforce works. I
can't see Winamp install causing XP activation to trigger. I've
emailed Winamp about it anyway and will see what they say about it.
Someone said the reboot may have just caused a corruption and caused
the trigger but I don't know if that's it either. The guy at Microsoft
had no idea why it happened. Strange.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:28:27 PM

In article <k373919kc2a064aead18u5vrdab3u6gr3n@4ax.com>,
fisher@no_email.here (Fisher) wrote:

> Microsoft has 24/7 toll free telephone support

Heh, not *strictly* a fair comparison :-) I think Microsoft have a
little more money in the bank than most game developers... especially
Eagle Dynamics. ED struggle to survive IMO, and it shows in their
various attempts to optimise their revenue stream.

The bottom line is I loathe copy protection of any kind, and fervently
believe pirates, no matter how numerous, are insignificant... they're
not people who would ever have bought a title they copy*.

However if it's a choice between StarForce or nothing, then I grudgingly
accept StarForce.

Andrew McP

*Ok, there are bound to be kids who might have pestered their parents
for more pocket money if they hadn't been able to DL something, but
those parents are unlikely to have bottomless pockets. So buying one
title just means another doesn't get bought later on.
May 23, 2005 3:56:43 PM

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p fqdndfpMbObrQzfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> WTF is up with this stupid Star Force activation of Flaming Cliffs? It
says
> to enter my serial number. Where the hell is the serial number? I tried
the
> reference code provided when I purchased it online. I emailed the guys at
> www.lockon.ru to no avail. Is this a scam or what? Nice to blow $35 for
> nothing, what a crock!

Go to their page, login, then go to FILES, then DOWNLOADS and under the LOCK
ON 1.1: Flaming Cliffs product you will see your product's serial number..
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:38:10 PM

"Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> In article <hjv291tk55e18hslanser2id3a4rdj77pp@4ax.com>,
> fisher@no_email.here (Fisher) wrote:
>
>> Email Starforce and they will provide you with a new working code -
>> hopefully.
>
> Looking around some forums I see he's solved this. The details you need
> for the StarForce activation are all on the http://www.lockon.ru/ forum
> when you log in to the account you create. It can be a little tricky to
> find stuff in ED's website layout though.
>
> Andrew McP

Hey Andrew.

My apologies for my pissy post. I am much better now, just tired of all this
copy protection that in the end affects the honest end user and not the
people they are trying to prevent from copying.

I do agree that ED's website isn't real clear. They should add that to their
FAQ and I will ask if they can do so.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:41:02 PM

"agh" <agh@kjh.com> wrote in message news:D 6s9cu$d9b$1@news.siemens.at...
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p fqdndfpMbObrQzfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
>> WTF is up with this stupid Star Force activation of Flaming Cliffs? It
> says
>> to enter my serial number. Where the hell is the serial number? I tried
> the
>> reference code provided when I purchased it online. I emailed the guys at
>> www.lockon.ru to no avail. Is this a scam or what? Nice to blow $35 for
>> nothing, what a crock!
>
> Go to their page, login, then go to FILES, then DOWNLOADS and under the
> LOCK
> ON 1.1: Flaming Cliffs product you will see your product's serial number..

Thanks for your answer. I have found this with the help of people at SimHQ
forums as well. I was in a pissy mood, but lockon.ru isn't very clear where
to get it. You essentially get three numbers: a transaction number,
reference number, and serial number. The first two of which are readily
apparent. The last was not. The FAQ only makes mention that one can find it
on the page displayed after they made the purchse, which I didn't print out
because my printer wasn't working properly, but they usually email you the
stuff. Well the email didn't contain squat.

Anyways, I'm done venting.
May 23, 2005 11:59:05 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:17:19 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

>I agree. I mean how many copies do you think they'll sell? A few thousand?
>That's probably what drove the price up to $35 as $10 is probably for
>StarForce. Also, when I activated it said I had four more activations. Let's
>just hope that I don't lose my registry that I backed up. And what else is
>that number tied to. I hope not my hardware because I upgrade frequently and
>don't want to have to worry about shelling out another $35 or even worse yet
>not even be able to play it in the future because ED goes under and I can't
>get a new activation code.
>
>If I had known all this I would have ordered it on CD if it is even
>available on CD. I'd rather have to insert my CD for protection than to have
>to worry about whether or not my registry code is backed up.
>
>Not only that, couldn't I just take my registry key backup and give it to
>anyone else?
>
>Sorry, I never used to worry too much about copy protection, as I am an
>honest consumer and protection was usually relegatged to requiring entering
>a CD key at installation and keeping the CD in the drive, no big deal. But
>this one just hits a nerve.

I, for one, refuse to buy FC because I think it is way overpriced for
what it offers. The games I have been willing to buy that contain
Starforce are SHIII and Splinter Cell:CT. Niether have activation
limitations. But as I posted earlier I'm wondering if Starforce caused
my XP activation to tigger because Starforce does do a hardware check.

As for your 5 activations issue with FC, I read at SimHQ in their
Friday update about E3 that ED have a file you can download that gets
rid of the 5 activation limitations now. Read the last two pages in
the below url where they discuss Starforce for further info.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_053a.html
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:43:07 AM

How do you rate the Su25 FM? Worth the price and pain of admission?

Mitch

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D -qdnVd72LW00A_fRVn-hg@comcast.com...

> "Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> In article <hjv291tk55e18hslanser2id3a4rdj77pp@4ax.com>,
>> fisher@no_email.here (Fisher) wrote:
>>
>>> Email Starforce and they will provide you with a new working code -
>>> hopefully.
>>
>> Looking around some forums I see he's solved this. The details you need
>> for the StarForce activation are all on the http://www.lockon.ru/ forum
>> when you log in to the account you create. It can be a little tricky to
>> find stuff in ED's website layout though.
>>
>> Andrew McP
>>

> Hey Andrew.
>
> My apologies for my pissy post. I am much better now, just tired of all
> this copy protection that in the end affects the honest end user and not
> the people they are trying to prevent from copying.
>
> I do agree that ED's website isn't real clear. They should add that to
> their FAQ and I will ask if they can do so.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 1:43:08 AM

Now that I got it working, I haven't had a chance to really play it yet. I
know Andrew praises it, and his word is worth a lot. He's a pretty avid
flight simmer and very familiar with Lo-Mac. He's done all those great
movies. :)

I'll provide my review when I get a chance to play some more.

"Mitch_A" <naman@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
> How do you rate the Su25 FM? Worth the price and pain of admission?
>
> Mitch
>

> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D -qdnVd72LW00A_fRVn-hg@comcast.com...
>>
>> "Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

>>> Looking around some forums I see he's solved this. The details you need
>>> for the StarForce activation are all on the http://www.lockon.ru/ forum
>>> when you log in to the account you create. It can be a little tricky to
>>> find stuff in ED's website layout though.
>>>
>>> Andrew McP
>>>

>> Hey Andrew.
>>
>> My apologies for my pissy post. I am much better now, just tired of all
>> this copy protection that in the end affects the honest end user and not
>> the people they are trying to prevent from copying.
>>
>> I do agree that ED's website isn't real clear. They should add that to
>> their FAQ and I will ask if they can do so.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:41:07 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:28:27 +0100, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

>In article <k373919kc2a064aead18u5vrdab3u6gr3n@4ax.com>,
>fisher@no_email.here (Fisher) wrote:
>
> > Microsoft has 24/7 toll free telephone support
>
>Heh, not *strictly* a fair comparison :-) I think Microsoft have a
>little more money in the bank than most game developers... especially
>Eagle Dynamics. ED struggle to survive IMO, and it shows in their
>various attempts to optimise their revenue stream.
>
>The bottom line is I loathe copy protection of any kind, and fervently
>believe pirates, no matter how numerous, are insignificant... they're
>not people who would ever have bought a title they copy*.
>
>However if it's a choice between StarForce or nothing, then I grudgingly
>accept StarForce.

Time to bring back the old SWOTL codewheel, I think!

Adamski.
May 24, 2005 2:02:34 PM

> Thanks for your answer. I have found this with the help of people at SimHQ
> forums as well. I was in a pissy mood, but lockon.ru isn't very clear
where
> to get it. You essentially get three numbers: a transaction number,

Yeah, I'm with you.. I was also caught unprepared when I saw the "enter
product serial number"? WTF? So, mildly panicking, I went to their site and
fortunately stumbled upon it quickly enough to avoid nervous breakdown and
following rampage :)

Interesting thing to note, I had problems with my brand new Pioneer DVD-RW.
It wouldn't burn DVDs on 8x speeds. After three wasted DVDs, I still
couldn't figure out what caused the problem. Then I read on SimHQ E3
coverage when the article regarded StarForce that some people have similar
problems due to StarForce. So, I installed the burning software to WinME OS
(fortunatelly, I have dual boot) and the recorder works flawlessly there..
I'll try uninstalling the StarForce driver and try to record again but I
think that's it..
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:09:36 PM

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:17:19 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
> <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I agree. I mean how many copies do you think they'll sell? A few thousand?
>>That's probably what drove the price up to $35 as $10 is probably for
>>StarForce. Also, when I activated it said I had four more activations.
>>Let's
>>just hope that I don't lose my registry that I backed up. And what else is
>>that number tied to. I hope not my hardware because I upgrade frequently
>>and
>>don't want to have to worry about shelling out another $35 or even worse
>>yet
>>not even be able to play it in the future because ED goes under and I
>>can't
>>get a new activation code.
>>
>>If I had known all this I would have ordered it on CD if it is even
>>available on CD. I'd rather have to insert my CD for protection than to
>>have
>>to worry about whether or not my registry code is backed up.
>>
>>Not only that, couldn't I just take my registry key backup and give it to
>>anyone else?
>>
>>Sorry, I never used to worry too much about copy protection, as I am an
>>honest consumer and protection was usually relegatged to requiring
>>entering
>>a CD key at installation and keeping the CD in the drive, no big deal. But
>>this one just hits a nerve.
>
> I, for one, refuse to buy FC because I think it is way overpriced for
> what it offers. The games I have been willing to buy that contain
> Starforce are SHIII and Splinter Cell:CT. Niether have activation
> limitations. But as I posted earlier I'm wondering if Starforce caused
> my XP activation to tigger because Starforce does do a hardware check.
>
> As for your 5 activations issue with FC, I read at SimHQ in their
> Friday update about E3 that ED have a file you can download that gets
> rid of the 5 activation limitations now. Read the last two pages in
> the below url where they discuss Starforce for further info.
>
> http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_053a.html

Thanks, here's the text:

Here's something important that was pointed out to us by StarForce and which
I have seen first hand with Flaming Cliffs. Some of the issues here are not
StarForce's issues, but rather a result of the options and flexibility I
mentioned earlier that the publishers/developers have when they implement
StarForce. The best example I know of is the "5 activations and you're out"
limit imposed on the early buyers of Flaming Cliffs. Simply, if you bought
FC from Eagle Dynamics via the Internet download (which I did), you were
limited to 5 activations of the StarForce key, which could be triggered by
any combination of the typical "software won't run-delete and reinstall", or
PC problems we all experience from time to time. Another big one is if you
made a significant change to your hardware configuration, StarForce doesn't
like that. Well, the point is that the 5 activation limit was not done by
StarForce, it was done by ED. And they heard about it, believe me. It is now
corrected, with a small mod you can download going backwards, and the
downloadable and CD versions of the sim don't have the same small
limitation. Good on ED.

"GOOD ON ED?" WTF? Shame on ED for implementing it in the first place.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:11:33 PM

"agh" <agh@kjh.com> wrote in message news:D 6un31$k38$1@news.siemens.at...
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks for your answer. I have found this with the help of people at
>> SimHQ
>> forums as well. I was in a pissy mood, but lockon.ru isn't very clear
> where
>> to get it. You essentially get three numbers: a transaction number,
>
> Yeah, I'm with you.. I was also caught unprepared when I saw the "enter
> product serial number"? WTF? So, mildly panicking, I went to their site
> and
> fortunately stumbled upon it quickly enough to avoid nervous breakdown and
> following rampage :)
>
> Interesting thing to note, I had problems with my brand new Pioneer
> DVD-RW.
> It wouldn't burn DVDs on 8x speeds. After three wasted DVDs, I still
> couldn't figure out what caused the problem. Then I read on SimHQ E3
> coverage when the article regarded StarForce that some people have similar
> problems due to StarForce. So, I installed the burning software to WinME
> OS
> (fortunatelly, I have dual boot) and the recorder works flawlessly there..
> I'll try uninstalling the StarForce driver and try to record again but I
> think that's it..

OOOH. That would piss me off. Thankfully I have a PC dedicated to gaming
that I never usually burn anything with that PC. I use my other PC that
never has games on it so I am not affected. Otherwsie, I'd be venting again,
I'm sure.
May 25, 2005 2:15:56 PM

"HockeyTownUSA" wrote

>> http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_053a.html
>
> Thanks, here's the text:
>
> Here's something important that was pointed out to us by StarForce and
> which I have seen first hand with Flaming Cliffs. Some of the issues here
> are not StarForce's issues, but rather a result of the options and
> flexibility I mentioned earlier that the publishers/developers have when
> they implement StarForce. The best example I know of is the "5 activations
> and you're out" limit imposed on the early buyers of Flaming Cliffs.
> Simply, if you bought FC from Eagle Dynamics via the Internet download
> (which I did), you were limited to 5 activations of the StarForce key,
> which could be triggered by any combination of the typical "software won't
> run-delete and reinstall", or PC problems we all experience from time to
> time. Another big one is if you made a significant change to your hardware
> configuration, StarForce doesn't like that. Well, the point is that the 5
> activation limit was not done by StarForce, it was done by ED. And they
> heard about it, believe me. It is now corrected, with a small mod you can
> download going backwards, and the downloadable and CD versions of the sim
> don't have the same small limitation. Good on ED.
>

> "GOOD ON ED?" WTF? Shame on ED for implementing it in the first place.

LMAO, only at SimHQ
May 25, 2005 2:15:57 PM

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> "HockeyTownUSA" wrote
>
> >> http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_053a.html
> >
> > Thanks, here's the text:
> >
> > Here's something important that was pointed out to us by StarForce and
> > which I have seen first hand with Flaming Cliffs. Some of the issues
here
> > are not StarForce's issues, but rather a result of the options and
> > flexibility I mentioned earlier that the publishers/developers have when
> > they implement StarForce. The best example I know of is the "5
activations
> > and you're out" limit imposed on the early buyers of Flaming Cliffs.
> > Simply, if you bought FC from Eagle Dynamics via the Internet download
> > (which I did), you were limited to 5 activations of the StarForce key,
> > which could be triggered by any combination of the typical "software
won't
> > run-delete and reinstall", or PC problems we all experience from time to
> > time. Another big one is if you made a significant change to your
hardware
> > configuration, StarForce doesn't like that. Well, the point is that the
5
> > activation limit was not done by StarForce, it was done by ED. And they
> > heard about it, believe me. It is now corrected, with a small mod you
can
> > download going backwards, and the downloadable and CD versions of the
sim
> > don't have the same small limitation. Good on ED.
> >

> > "GOOD ON ED?" WTF? Shame on ED for implementing it in the first place.
>

> LMAO, only at SimHQ

Lol, no kidding. What a place that has become.

May 25, 2005 10:04:06 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:20:44 -0500, "JP" <jp@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hehe. What I find interesting, is how the mods always throw in a last
>dig or two themselves, and then close a thread. Yeah, that's profo <rolls
>eyes>

They deleted my thread so no one could see me soundly thrash them -
cowards.Get this though, I was browsing through their forums and found
a user posting with the word "cumstain" in his username. They have the
audacity to threaten to ban me for the non-obscene word "bollocks" and
yet at the same time they are allowing someone to post with the
username "cumstain"? I ask you, how hypocritical is that?
May 26, 2005 4:11:28 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:17:54 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>FWIW, I've had some pretty severe problems with my PC in the past several
>weeks. It's a new Alienware system with a P4 3200MHz, 1G of RAM and a
>6800GT. It was rock solid the first few months I had it, then all of a
>sudden I would get a hard system freeze in the middle of the most mundane of
>tasks (saving email attachments, copying files, browsing my file system,
>etc.). I tried just about everything I could think of to alleviate the
>problem - defragging numerous times, upgrading certain suspect apps
>(JetAudio and Mozilla among the top three), scanning for viruses and
>spyware - nothing. I got to the point that I basically uninstalled
>everything but the most critical of programs and defragged again. Let me
>put it this waym, the only flight sim I have left is IL2... :-) Anyway, I
>ran MemCheck86 last night and it was good. But while it was running I was
>surfing the Net on my other PC and sudenly thought to myself - Could it be
>StarForce? I quickly downloaded the removal tool, rebooted and Voila - have
>not had a single freezxe today (whereas before I was getting upwards of 5 a
>day).
>
>It hasn't been long enough for me to definitively say that it was StarForce
>that was causing instability in my system - but it's ceratinly looking that
>way. As such - GTR Racing and SHIII are officially banned from my PC.
>
>James

It's possible a Starforce issue but your case also sounds like the
classic inadequate powersupply issue too.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:41:29 AM

Starforce is the easy target for all the worlds problems ;)

Based on the tiny bit of info I see I certainly couldnt identify SF as the
*root* issue. The only way to know with reasonable amount of certainty is a
clean reinstall of XP then install ONLY SF and see if you can replicate the
symptoms. Personally I think thats unlikely.

A more likely culprit is are the remnants of a porn spyware site that are
buried in a hidden temp file ;)

Mitch

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> FWIW, I've had some pretty severe problems with my PC in the past several
> weeks. It's a new Alienware system with a P4 3200MHz, 1G of RAM and a
> 6800GT. It was rock solid the first few months I had it, then all of a
> sudden I would get a hard system freeze in the middle of the most mundane
> of tasks (saving email attachments, copying files, browsing my file
> system, etc.). I tried just about everything I could think of to
> alleviate the problem - defragging numerous times, upgrading certain
> suspect apps (JetAudio and Mozilla among the top three), scanning for
> viruses and spyware - nothing. I got to the point that I basically
> uninstalled everything but the most critical of programs and defragged
> again. Let me put it this waym, the only flight sim I have left is IL2...
> :-) Anyway, I ran MemCheck86 last night and it was good. But while it
> was running I was surfing the Net on my other PC and sudenly thought to
> myself - Could it be StarForce? I quickly downloaded the removal tool,
> rebooted and Voila - have not had a single freezxe today (whereas before I
> was getting upwards of 5 a day).
>
> It hasn't been long enough for me to definitively say that it was
> StarForce that was causing instability in my system - but it's ceratinly
> looking that way. As such - GTR Racing and SHIII are officially banned
> from my PC.
>
> James

May 26, 2005 10:47:38 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 00:11:28 -0700, Fisher <fisher@no_email.here>
wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:17:54 GMT, "James Calivar"
><amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>FWIW, I've had some pretty severe problems with my PC in the past several
>>weeks. It's a new Alienware system with a P4 3200MHz, 1G of RAM and a
>>6800GT. It was rock solid the first few months I had it, then all of a
>>sudden I would get a hard system freeze in the middle of the most mundane of
>>tasks (saving email attachments, copying files, browsing my file system,
>>etc.). I tried just about everything I could think of to alleviate the
>>problem - defragging numerous times, upgrading certain suspect apps
>>(JetAudio and Mozilla among the top three), scanning for viruses and
>>spyware - nothing. I got to the point that I basically uninstalled
>>everything but the most critical of programs and defragged again. Let me
>>put it this waym, the only flight sim I have left is IL2... :-) Anyway, I
>>ran MemCheck86 last night and it was good. But while it was running I was
>>surfing the Net on my other PC and sudenly thought to myself - Could it be
>>StarForce? I quickly downloaded the removal tool, rebooted and Voila - have
>>not had a single freezxe today (whereas before I was getting upwards of 5 a
>>day).
>>
>>It hasn't been long enough for me to definitively say that it was StarForce
>>that was causing instability in my system - but it's ceratinly looking that
>>way. As such - GTR Racing and SHIII are officially banned from my PC.
>>
>>James
>
>It's possible a Starforce issue but your case also sounds like the
>classic inadequate powersupply issue too.

ditto that
May 26, 2005 2:09:02 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:11:19 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Siggi! You're back! :-)

It's Ziggy, and I ain't him. :-)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:55:26 AM

Huh? There's porn on the Internet???

"Mitch_A" <naman@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:D kdle.21373$J12.8480@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> Starforce is the easy target for all the worlds problems ;)
>
> Based on the tiny bit of info I see I certainly couldnt identify SF as the
> *root* issue. The only way to know with reasonable amount of certainty is
> a clean reinstall of XP then install ONLY SF and see if you can replicate
> the symptoms. Personally I think thats unlikely.
>
> A more likely culprit is are the remnants of a porn spyware site that are
> buried in a hidden temp file ;)
>
> Mitch

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:01:07 AM

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:17:54 GMT, "James Calivar"
> <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>FWIW, I've had some pretty severe problems with my PC in the past several
>>weeks. It's a new Alienware system with a P4 3200MHz, 1G of RAM and a
>>6800GT. It was rock solid the first few months I had it, then all of a
>>sudden I would get a hard system freeze in the middle of the most mundane
>>of
>>tasks (saving email attachments, copying files, browsing my file system,
>>etc.). I tried just about everything I could think of to alleviate the
>>problem - defragging numerous times, upgrading certain suspect apps
>>(JetAudio and Mozilla among the top three), scanning for viruses and
>>spyware - nothing. I got to the point that I basically uninstalled
>>everything but the most critical of programs and defragged again. Let me
>>put it this waym, the only flight sim I have left is IL2... :-) Anyway, I
>>ran MemCheck86 last night and it was good. But while it was running I was
>>surfing the Net on my other PC and sudenly thought to myself - Could it be
>>StarForce? I quickly downloaded the removal tool, rebooted and Voila -
>>have
>>not had a single freezxe today (whereas before I was getting upwards of 5
>>day).
>>
>>It hasn't been long enough for me to definitively say that it was
>>StarForce
>>that was causing instability in my system - but it's ceratinly looking
>>that
>>way. As such - GTR Racing and SHIII are officially banned from my PC.
>>
>>James
>
> It's possible a Starforce issue but your case also sounds like the
> classic inadequate powersupply issue too.

I doubt it - it's a professionally built PC, not just something I threw
together. And the problems went away the second I got rid of StarForce -
it's been three days now and I've not had a lockup yet. But I will make it
a point to check my details and see how big a PS I have (don't recall at the
moment).
May 27, 2005 5:01:08 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 01:01:07 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I doubt it - it's a professionally built PC, not just something I threw
>together. And the problems went away the second I got rid of StarForce -
>it's been three days now and I've not had a lockup yet. But I will make it
>a point to check my details and see how big a PS I have (don't recall at the
>moment).

Well, I've got two Starforce protected games and have never had a
lockup and I have a Zalman PSU which is probably better kit than you
get in your *professionally* built PC.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:05:10 AM

He must be talking about naked Flankers.

PAPADOC

>Huh? There's porn on the Internet???
>
>"Mitch_A" <naman@nospam.pacbell.net> wrote in message
>news:D kdle.21373$J12.8480@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>> Starforce is the easy target for all the worlds problems ;)
>>
>> Based on the tiny bit of info I see I certainly couldnt identify SF as the
>> *root* issue. The only way to know with reasonable amount of certainty is
>> a clean reinstall of XP then install ONLY SF and see if you can replicate
>> the symptoms. Personally I think thats unlikely.
>>
>> A more likely culprit is are the remnants of a porn spyware site that are
>> buried in a hidden temp file ;)
>>
>> Mitch

My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:23:11 AM

Who the heck do you think these so-called "professionals" are building these
rigs? I bet a lot closer to minimum wage than you can imagine. I can build
a better custom box for a better price any time. Alien is manufacturing
some nice parts of its own though they are very very expensive.

And they look purty, vbseg.

> I doubt it - it's a professionally built PC, not just something I threw
> together. And the problems went away the second I got rid of StarForce -
> it's been three days now and I've not had a lockup yet. But I will make
> it a point to check my details and see how big a PS I have (don't recall
> at the moment).

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 6:23:12 AM

Oh heck yeah!

I have been building my own systems for some time, well, since my first
which was a Celeron 300A, overclocked to 450 mhz, a screamer for it's time!

I'd put my machine up against an Alienware or any of those hot gamer systems
offered today... :)

Don Burnette

Mitch_A wrote:
> Who the heck do you think these so-called "professionals" are
> building these rigs? I bet a lot closer to minimum wage than you can
> imagine. I can build a better custom box for a better price any
> time. Alien is manufacturing some nice parts of its own though they
> are very very expensive.
> And they look purty, vbseg.
>
> Mitch
>

> "James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> I doubt it - it's a professionally built PC, not just something I
>> threw together. And the problems went away the second I got rid of
>> StarForce - it's been three days now and I've not had a lockup yet. But I
>> will make it a point to check my details and see how big a PS
>> I have (don't recall at the moment).
May 27, 2005 10:40:20 AM

> Well, I've got two Starforce protected games and have never had a
> lockup and I have a Zalman PSU which is probably better kit than you
> get in your *professionally* built PC.

But it makes no sence for a Power supply issue to resolve getting rid of
the starforce.

Chuck

--
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

On Fri, 27 May 2005 06:40:20 -0500, Chuck <Nonyabiz@all.com> wrote:

>But it makes no sence for a Power supply issue to resolve getting rid of
>the starforce.
>
>Chuck

True. I suggests he sends a report to Starforce and Ubisoft if he is
certain it was Starforce that was causing the lockups. Even demand a
refund on the Starforce protected games from Ubisoft.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:02:06 PM

Chuck wrote:
> But it makes no sence for a Power supply issue to resolve getting rid of
> the starforce.

A catastrophic power supply failure that burned my PC, my home and the
neighborhood within a radius of 5 km to ashes got me rid of Starforce
for sure, let me assure you. Ah, the pure and simple joys of overclocking !

Mr. S.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:24:08 PM

It very well could be SF, that Im not denying or defending. What I am
saying is you made many changes to your rig since the problem started and at
this point we really dont have an answer just a guess based on a
coincidence.

Mitch

"James Calivar" <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote > BTW, did I mention to
anyone yet that once I REMOVED Starforce from my
> system, all these problems went away? Hmm.

May 27, 2005 8:52:24 PM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 21:31:18 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Wow, a better PSU - I bet that really makes your GeForce II look good,
>doesn't it?
>
>Tool.

You know what they say about people who make *ass*umptions?
May 27, 2005 10:54:39 PM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:26:55 -0500, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

>I am currently burning a couple of iso's on my Plextor 712A dvd burner with
>no issues, knock on wood.

OK, good to hear. I saw a guy post on SimHQ quite some time back that
swore that Starforce stopped him from being able to burn ISO's with
Nero. Maybe it's just with certain versions of Nero, maybe it's BS, I
don't know.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:17:06 AM

Fisher wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:26:55 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> I am currently burning a couple of iso's on my Plextor 712A dvd
>> burner with no issues, knock on wood.
>
> OK, good to hear. I saw a guy post on SimHQ quite some time back that
> swore that Starforce stopped him from being able to burn ISO's with
> Nero. Maybe it's just with certain versions of Nero, maybe it's BS, I
> don't know.

I don't think it is BS, I think it may be specific to certain types of
hardware or hardware combinations. There are some posting with these issues
on the SH3 forum.
I feel I got lucky.
--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 1:30:34 AM

> It very well could be SF, that Im not denying or defending. What I am
> saying is you made many changes to your rig since the problem started and
> at this point we really dont have an answer just a guess based on a
> coincidence.
>

> Mitch

Yep - which is basically what I said to begin with - bottom line is I'm
happy again and playing IL2 without having to wrry about locking up.

JAmes
May 28, 2005 1:30:35 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 21:30:34 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Yep - which is basically what I said to begin with - bottom line is I'm
>happy again and playing IL2 without having to wrry about locking up.
>
>JAmes

You going to ask for your money back from Ubisoft on the Starforce
game or are you going to take it up the ass like a pussy?
May 28, 2005 2:29:02 AM

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

> Oh heck yeah!
>
> I'd put my machine up against an Alienware or any of those hot gamer
> systems offered today... :)

Same here. My OC'd 3.81 (3.20E chip) runs just fine and
no crashes/blue screens. (water-cooling works !!!!)

I've seen/heard of several AlienWare box's that eventually
started crashing, and or had problems.

Now..... it could easily be a PS, or heat problem, games
have a way of bringing that out in a computer.Also, if the
mb power section (PW temps) get too high, the computer
will start *geezing*

It IS something to look at..................

Allan

Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:30:21 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 01:05:10 -0500, PAPADOC wrote:

>He must be talking about naked Flankers.

Well ... I seem to remember a PINK Flanker that was worse than
pornographic - it was *obscene* LOL.

Wouldn't be anything to do with you, would it?? Har har!!

Adamski.

Back to going OT, though - have you found any decent *battleships* to
sink yet? I've slunk into the most popular naval seaside resorts and
found them utterly deserted. Are they ALL after the Bismarck??
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 2:30:22 AM

Actually I am looking for a way to paint my Sub pink...<VBG>

Got most of the way into Scapa Flow and didnt find a single large ship except
for the billions of Destroyers who seemed a bit angry with having a German sub
in their midst.

The Largest ship I have sunk so far is the C3 Cargo. After 7 patrols I have sunk
about 63,000 tons. Not very notworthy I suspect but fun nevertheless.

PAPADOC

>>He must be talking about naked Flankers.
>
>Well ... I seem to remember a PINK Flanker that was worse than
>pornographic - it was *obscene* LOL.
>
>Wouldn't be anything to do with you, would it?? Har har!!
>
>Adamski.
>
>Back to going OT, though - have you found any decent *battleships* to
>sink yet? I've slunk into the most popular naval seaside resorts and
>found them utterly deserted. Are they ALL after the Bismarck??

My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:29:19 AM

> On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:26:55 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I am currently burning a couple of iso's on my Plextor 712A dvd burner
>>with
>>no issues, knock on wood.
>
> OK, good to hear. I saw a guy post on SimHQ quite some time back that
> swore that Starforce stopped him from being able to burn ISO's with
> Nero. Maybe it's just with certain versions of Nero, maybe it's BS, I
> don't know.

Or maybe it's random? Or insidious and slow? All I know is that I
installed SHIII and then shortly thereafter GTR several months ago.
Everything seemed OK. Until a couple of weeks ago. When I finally killed
the SF drivers and then rebooted - voila - no problems.

Chat back here if and when you finally have problems with it.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 7:30:23 AM

> On Fri, 27 May 2005 21:30:34 GMT, "James Calivar"
> <amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Yep - which is basically what I said to begin with - bottom line is I'm
>>happy again and playing IL2 without having to wrry about locking up.
>>
>>JAmes
>>

> You going to ask for your money back from Ubisoft on the Starforce
> game or are you going to take it up the ass like a pussy?

That doesn't even make sense. "Up the ass like a pussy"? You're just
weird.
May 28, 2005 11:34:13 PM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 03:29:19 GMT, "James Calivar"
<amheiserbush@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Chat back here if and when you finally have problems with it.

I've already got the Starforce remover if that problem should ever
arise.
!