stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I bought a Samsung CD-RW not too long ago. Maybe that was my first mistake, dont know how good the drive actually is.
Its a Sw-232b model.
Sun. night I tried to make a music CD, it copied fine it seemed. When I tried to play it, it didnt work in 3 different units, including a cd radio.
So I tried again with a new disc. It didnt copy, it just ejected the cd and said 3 errors found. I dont remember all of them but the first one was "servo motor spindle failure", that sounds really bad.
Has anyone seen this before? Is the drive toast?
Should I replace it with a better quality drive?

Also, this drive has had trouble reading a CD-RW that I use to store all of the patches that I have downloaded.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stevep12 on 10/30/02 10:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

qarban

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
I'm just curious, what software are you using? have you tried other burning software aside from what is included in the package? Do you have any idea whether the CD you're copying is copy-protected or not?

stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I am using Easy CD Creator 5 that came with the drive. I have tried Nero but I dont like it and went back to ECDC when I got this drive.
I have also successfully made audio cd's with a program called MP3Maker using this drive before last night.
I have made discs with this drive when I first installed it. I have also had trouble accessing discs (such as game cd's) while Im playing the game with this drive.

How do I tell about the copy-protection? the disc is a blank brand new disc.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by stevep12 on 10/30/02 03:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
OK, it seems this problem is only with Easy CD Creator.
I used MP3Maker last night to burn a disc and it worked perfectly. No errors, not ejecting the disc, no nothing but a perfect copy.

MP3Maker is only good for audio, so it wont help with anything else.

Interesting though that ECDC has a problem with a drive when the program is bundled with the drive.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
get used to nero, it's a pretty decent burning prog. I used to be an ezcd fan, then one day I got over it. :)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I have used Nero. I cant stand the interface. Its not freindly like ezcd.
I have both, had ezcd4, deleted it and installed nero. Couldnt stand nero, took it off and installed ezcd5 that I got with the drive.
Is there any other software, that works, besides these 2.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have the opposite opinion. I prefer the Nero interface.

Have to admit that I miss Roxio's DirectCD, though. Drag and drop for CD-Rs was really convenient.

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you don't like the Nero Interface (I have no complain against it), you can use Nero Express. It's extremely user friendly. I'm sure, if you use it, you will give up using other CD burning apps for "user-friendly" interface.

Submit your opinions and comment in my latest poll <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25600#25600" target="_new"> What is Bangladesh </A>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have to admit that I miss Roxio's DirectCD, though. Drag and drop for CD-Rs was really convenient
So does Nero!
I also used to have problem CD cannot be read properly with CD Creator. Change to Nero and it works great, and I find <b>Nero's interface</b> is much user friendly than CD Creator (I guess that depending on personal opinion).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Hey phsstpok, use Nero's In Packet cd writing software to get the drag and drop feel going :wink:

<b>LHGPooBaa + Evil Hamster Sidekick: Serving Toms Hardware community for 2 years as of the 11th of November</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
InCD only works with CDRWs. DirectCD works also with CDRs. That's why I liked it. Really easy drag and drop backups.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ahh. Yes. You are correct as allways. :smile:

I remember using directCD with an ancient 4x4x12x burner... (and i had to use 2x cauz 4x kept producing coasters lol)

<b>LHGPooBaa + Evil Hamster Sidekick: Serving Toms Hardware community for 2 years as of the 11th of November</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I never said I thought DirectCD was that great, just convenient. Don't have to bring up burning software to make backups. Never had to worry about multisessions when adding to backup discs. Didn't need to organize a burn session. Occasionally the discs got corrupted.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>