Switching to wireless

FlyingK

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
So I've have some problems with my internet for a while now, and I've had somebody come to repair it but it didn't help. I've realised that most of the time it starts lagging/crashing is when I open up a game that uses internet. I've also used a laptop for gaming a while back and I didn't seem to get the same error(although I could of just gotten lucky) so I thought maybe the problem was the wired connection. I have a super cheap internet wire and don't really want to buy those cat-6 wires since I'd need a like 15 meters wire and that would be expensive. So I've come to the conclusion that I should try a wireless adapter, but I'm not sure if it would actualy help..(When the internet crashes/lags, it's for everybody in the house) Also if it would help and you know a good adapter please suggest(my mobo is a Gigabyte B75M-D3H)

You don't need cat 6. Cat5e is rated to 1g. You should be able to get a 15m cable for less than $5. cat6 is only about $1 more.

You are always better off with a cabled connection. A bad cable is very obvious normally.

A fairly good test is to open multiple cmd windows. Issue tracert to something like 4.2.2.2

Now you want to run a continuous ping (one in each window) to the first and second addresses in the traceroute. The first should be your router in the house, the second should be your ISP first router.

If you let it run you should see what a normal pattern looks like. Now play your game, when you have issues open the windows. If you get errors only in the second window your router is ok and your ISP has a issue. If you see it in both then your router has a problem. ...you may have to do this ping trick from another machine just to be sure it is not your machine causing the problem and not the router.