XP crsah - Need help!

ozstar

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2001
Hi !
This is the the results a of my tests and attempts to salvage. Maybe it will offer an answer to the pros on ths group.

I haven't had one of these boobys for many a year, the old XT days I believe!

I have tried several things including making the crash drive a slave to another XP box and trying to use NDDoc and Scandisk in win, but it won't work as it says the drive is not formatted?

This is a sequence I have just run..

Using the XP CD to boot and used the Recovery Command line tool (?)
CHKDSK - The volume appears to be in good condition - volume was not checked, use /p if you want to check it.
CHKDSK /P - The volume appears to contain one of more unrecoverable problems
CHKDSK /R - The volume appears to contain one of more unrecoverable problems
C:\DIR - An Error occurred during directory enumeration.
---------- Booted to the crashed drive..
Got the F8 pre windows options.
SAFE - Shows all in win/driver/ untilit hits agp440.sys and stop for 5 secs then..
Blue screen of death. STOP ox0000007B (0xF9C6B640,0x000034,0x0etc, 0x0etc)., - Use Chkdsk /r to recover.
----------- Boot to 98SE Floppy to A:
Used Ghost 2000 PE which is on crashed drive. Worked fine disk to disk until this error as it was starting..
Application Error 15175 - Running Scandisk should correct this problem in cluster 7e83fe6
----------------
When running a Verify disk in Ghost I get this..
Error 29004 - Read Sector failure Result = 1 Drive=128 Sectors 793850 to 51
There is nothing on the ghost site that shows 29004 with result=1, all show result=32 and all mention restoreing an image NOT cloning.
---------------
I have now gone and got a copy of scandisk from 98se OS2 which works with FAT32 and will do that to see if it fixes the sectors.
I have also tried many other things but anything to do with windows doesn't 'see' the disk and says it is unformatted although it IS because I have complete access to it in dos.

I am able to run Dos Commander to take off some of the files but they are all short exts and that is a big drag as I have to rename them if I go that way. I also cannot 'see'ome of the hidden files once I get about 6 sub dirs down where some of the data is.

I can only image the sector that is screwed up has something to do with the way windows itself sees things.

Any help is appreciated. thanks

rock

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
How did this happen?

Anyway, first of all you have made a number of fatal mistakes in the fine art of datarecovery. The most important rule is <i><b>NEVER</b> modify the data on the drive you attempt to salvage</i>.
Especially Norton Discdoctor is particular good at making modification to the drive in order to 'fix' something. I have never encountered an instance where ND actually made anything better.
The most important thing to remember when attempting data recovery is not to make the situation worse. The way to go is to find a data recovery program that does NOT make any changes to the crashed drive, but attempts recovery of data to another drive.

I recommend <A HREF="http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm" target="_new">Get Data Back</A>. I have previously used this program with great success.

Once you have recovered all the data you can (possibly using various tools, since neither of these modify the source), you can format the drive and see if it works properly.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

ozstar

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2001
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

This happened when I attached a KVM switch box to this unit
and to another using 1 monitor.

I did exactly as was suggested but it didn't work and when I went back to the box I got the XP blue screen 'unmountable_boot_volume error

Anyway it's done and I just have to get back what I can. Fortunately I had a clone disk of it all but is was 2 weeks old and it's that data I need especially my emails which went to a new client NS7. It stores the mail files way down 5 subs into hidden dirs and it I am having trouble with the Dos progs trying to even 'see' them.

I will try GetBack now.

Thanks again