ATI Cat 5.6's to boost Lomac up to 50%

From article here : http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23594

QUOTE

The game that will benefit the most is Lock on: Modern Air combat where
you will be able to see an incredible fifty per cent performance
increase just by installing a new 5.6 Catalyst driver.

ATI catalyst AI enables texture compression of the clouds resulting with
no visual impact and massive performance impact at the same time.

END QUOTE

50% sounds like a major boost to performance.

Most of the time driver upgrades claim 2-5% or so and even that is to be
taken with a grain of salt. 50% sounds like it might need a few extra
grains.

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN

fisher

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:59:33 -0400, Michael R Sisson
<MRSissonREM@THISrogers.com> wrote:

>ATI catalyst AI enables texture compression of the clouds resulting with
>no visual impact and massive performance impact at the same time.

Yea, and when you are in a mission with clear skies that means no
performance increase. I'm taking this announcement with a grain of
salt because I've seen Nvidia make such claims in the past and it
didn't pan out in reality.

Michael R Sisson wrote:
> (...)
> 50% sounds like a major boost to performance.
>
> Most of the time driver upgrades claim 2-5% or so and even that is to be
> taken with a grain of salt. 50% sounds like it might need a few extra
> grains.

Yeah. I'll believe that the day a woman gets a decent finish position at
the Indy 500 or Apple switches to Intel processors. Oh, wait...

Regards,
Mr. S.