Sharing internet through laptop to Samsung TV using Ethernet cable

zakslaher

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
hi,

I have a samsung series 5 LED tv. I do not have a router.
i want to connect a lan cable from my laptop to the tv then connect to internet through 3G and then share the internet to TV. how would i do this if possible wihtout having to buy a router

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
There is program which lets you turn your PC/laptop into hotspot to share internet either via ethernet or wi-fi. It is called connectify and you can get it for free here: http://www.connectify.me/. I use it to share internet from my laptop to my android phone.

There is a slight problem however, not all devices work with the program so there is no guarantee your TV will get internet and also the version which allows you to share 3G internet isn't free. I'd test it on another internet connection if you can or try and find a trial version just to make sure it works.

Good luck

zakslaher

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks guys, I have tried connectify but it does not seem to work and i think its because of 3G.
i am trying to use ICS but need assistance with TV as TV is not finding the wired network.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You should be able to ping the tv from the pc. You may need a crossover cable. Hopefully the pc or the TV has lights on the ethernet port. You should get lights as soon as you plug the cable in. If not try a cross cable.

You may have a dhcp issue and the tv is not getting a ip. You could try to set it manually.

ICS is rather complex so it takes very careful reading to setup correctly.

bitmantra

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
1. S-Video – This is probably the most common method out there currently because an S-Video cable is cheap as heck and just about every TV under the sun has a S-Video port. You’ll have to make sure you laptop is equipped with this port. Remember, there are two types of S-Video cables: 4-pin and 7-pin. Most laptops and PC’s are equipped with a 7-pin port, so if your TV only has a 4-pin S-Video port, then this method will not work.

2. VGA – If you have a HDTV, then you will be better off connecting using a VGA cable. It gives much better quality than S-Video and as with S-Video, the cable is very cheap. You usually won’t find a VGA port on regular TV’s though, so this option is if you have an HDTV.

3. DVI - DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface with “digital” being the key word there. The digital signal will give a higher quality picture than either S-Video or VGA. Of course, your computer will need to have a DVI connection and your TV will need to be an HDTV. This cord is definitely not cheap, it ranges anywhere from $40 to $80.

4. HDMI – Using HDMI will give you the best quality by far. No computers that I know of yet have HDMI ports, but you can get a DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to your HDTV. HDMI is compatible with DVI.

5. Scan Converter Box – This is the last method that I could think of and it involves using a scan converter box, which takes a VGA signal and converts it into S-Video or component video.