Making a Sony Clie look more like a Palm device

May 23, 2004 5:19:55 PM

I've been a Palm user since I got my original Palm V and
have recently been waiting for Palm to release my perfect
device (must fit in a "Slim leather wallet" type case, hi-res
screen (ideally 320 x 480) with no slider, battery life no
worse than my current m515, and must have Bluetooth).
Right now the Sony TH55 (European version that has
Bluetooth) seems close. I really wish they didn't have the
camera there, which I would never use, taking up valuable
volume and weight, but I could live with that I guess.

My big problem now is that I went to a store (on 3 occassions)
and had a brief play with a TH55 and on each occassion was
surprised as to just how un-familiar it feels. I guess I should
go and have a much longer play with one, but my suspicion
so far is that I would definitely want to replace the launcher
with something that behaves more like the default PalmOS
launcher and probably some or all of the PIM apps as well. I
assume that this is easy to do.

Are all the Sony PIM apps in flash (I assume it has flash)?
I guess I'd loose a fair amount of RAM replacing all the Sony
stuff. I see that JackSprat from Brayder technologies will not
support PalmOS 5 on Sony devices. Is there any other way
to reclaim any of the Flash space (assuming I will end up with
unused apps in Flash)?

I'm interested in anyones comments and/or experiences with
making their Sony look more like vanilla PalmOS.

Julian
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 6:48:33 PM

On 23 May 2004 in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Julian wrote:

> My big problem now is that I went to a store (on 3 occassions)
> and had a brief play with a TH55 and on each occassion was
> surprised as to just how un-familiar it feels. I guess I should
> go and have a much longer play with one, but my suspicion
> so far is that I would definitely want to replace the launcher
> with something that behaves more like the default PalmOS
> launcher and probably some or all of the PIM apps as well. I
> assume that this is easy to do.

I have a TJ37 (OS 5.2.1) which uses the fancied-up new launcher. Pull
down the menu; Options>Go To Standard View and it should start looking a
lot more familiar to you. I initially did this; but had to do a hard
reset at one point, and decided to take a look at the new launcher and
decided I kinda like it.

--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:48:33 GMT, Joe Makowiec
<makowiec@nycap.rEMOVECAPSr.com> wrote:

>On 23 May 2004 in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Julian wrote:
>
>> My big problem now is that I went to a store (on 3 occassions)
>> and had a brief play with a TH55 and on each occassion was
>> surprised as to just how un-familiar it feels. I guess I should
>> go and have a much longer play with one, but my suspicion
>> so far is that I would definitely want to replace the launcher
>> with something that behaves more like the default PalmOS
>> launcher and probably some or all of the PIM apps as well. I
>> assume that this is easy to do.
>
>I have a TJ37 (OS 5.2.1) which uses the fancied-up new launcher. Pull
>down the menu; Options>Go To Standard View and it should start looking a
>lot more familiar to you. I initially did this; but had to do a hard
>reset at one point, and decided to take a look at the new launcher and
>decided I kinda like it.

Also, you don't have to use the Sony Organizer: the familiar Palm apps
are there as well. I think utilities for OS 5 are still in the early
stage, so if I were in your shoes I'd go with the TH55 and worry about
clearing out apps in ROM later, if you really need to. Besides, as the
fellow above notes, you might wind up liking them.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message news:o si1b053cd68cjdhkmf2bpgmnqet5i6qan@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:48:33 GMT, Joe Makowiec
> <makowiec@nycap.rEMOVECAPSr.com> wrote:

Thanks Mike and Joe. You could well be right regarding my
ending up liking the Sony stuff, but it's still good to know
that there is a safety net there if I don't.

Do you use the Sony desktop? How do you find that vs the
Palm one?

Julian
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:05:15 AM

On 23 May 2004 in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Julian wrote:

> Do you use the Sony desktop? How do you find that vs the
> Palm one?

I don't think there's a lot of difference. I installed the Sony; I think
that there's some drivers which come with it that you have to install
anyway.

--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 6:48:58 AM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:36:58 +0100, "Julian" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message news:o si1b053cd68cjdhkmf2bpgmnqet5i6qan@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:48:33 GMT, Joe Makowiec
>> <makowiec@nycap.rEMOVECAPSr.com> wrote:
>
>Thanks Mike and Joe. You could well be right regarding my
>ending up liking the Sony stuff, but it's still good to know
>that there is a safety net there if I don't.
>
>Do you use the Sony desktop? How do you find that vs the
>Palm one?

I'm afraid I don't know, as the Sony Desktop I installed with my S300
and NR-70V was identical to the Palm Desktop - only the synch drivers
are a bit different.
--
!