anything better then drive copy?

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
I'm currently in the process of copying 6 partition on (2) drives onto a single drive. A total of about 65gb worth of data. Drive copy seems to be doing a pretty slow job of it. Transfer rates seem to be between 70 and 100mb/sec, and its estimating the total time to complete the job at around 13 hours. Its been running now for about 2.5 hours and says there are about 10 left.

Anyone got some better software for copying partitions from one drive (or 2 drives in this case) to another drive? powerquest says it should be able to get speeds up to 300mb/sec.

The two source drives are on the primary ide controller with an 80pin cable. And the target drive is on the secondary controller, also with an 80pin cable. Its set to master. There's also a dvd drive on that controller set to slave. But obviously i'm not using it while the copy is going.

Oh...one of the partitions is bootable (win98 on it) but i never boot off it anymore. The other partitions are a mix of NTFS and FAT32, non-bootable.

If anyone has a better method for doing this, please let me know. 13 hours to copy 65gb seems a little crazy. I could burn data to a cd faster then that.

How fast are your drives?

That as fast as copying can go.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
the target drive is brand new...WD 120gb drive and the 2 source drives are about a year old or so. 40gb IBM drives. I dont know their exact speed, but they should be faster then what drivecopy was doing. It shouldnt take 13 hours to copy 65gb worth of data. If i did my math correctly, the newer cd burners could burn that much data in about 6 or 7 hours.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
fyi, i just bought <A HREF="http://www.fssdev.com/" target="_new">casperxp</A>, and so far its copying at about 650-700mb/minute, which is at 7-10x faster then what drive copy was doing. And it cost $15 less then drive copy. And i can run it from within windows, dont need to make a boot floppy. Although i wonder how it works if you try to copy the boot partition. Anyhow, its going much faster then drive copy and its cheaper. The only thing i liked better in drive copy was i could select multiple partition to copy at one time. With casperxp i can either select an entire HD, or a single partition it seems.

Instead of 13 hours, it looks like casperxp should have it all copied in about 3 hours.

merk

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
sorry, my mistake...it wasnt 70-100mb/sec....it was 70-100mb/minute. I know my hd's can go faster then that. If they couldn't i'd either have gone insane or thrown them out the window :)

I just finished copying all the partitions and casper got speeds between 800mb/minute to 1200mb/minute.