NEED cell phone that can stay charging in car without turn..

Last response: in Brands
December 23, 2004 9:22:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

I currently have a Motorola i720 and it does this bull@#$% at the end of its
charging time (in my car):

"Charge Complete"

Thing is, I want my phone ALWAYS ON, and ALWAYS CONNECTED AND CHARGING.

Are there any phones out there (I'm going verizon) that can stay on, and
stay charging (like the old startac's could), and perhaps even have the
ability to relay-off the charger to keep from cooking the battery?

That last part is secondary, since I've cooked the bejeezers out of lithium
batteries with no problem.

TIA!

--
With knowledge comes sorrow.
Anonymous

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> I currently have a Motorola i720 and it does this bull@#$% at the end of its
> charging time (in my car):
>
> "Charge Complete"
>
> Thing is, I want my phone ALWAYS ON, and ALWAYS CONNECTED AND CHARGING.

Your phone won't charge if the battery is full.

> Are there any phones out there (I'm going verizon) that can stay on, and
> stay charging (like the old startac's could), and perhaps even have the
> ability to relay-off the charger to keep from cooking the battery?

Why do you think the charger doesn't keep charging the batter when it's full?

I'm utterly confused as to what you think you'll gain by manually controlling
when the phone charges. Please enlighten me.

December 23, 2004 10:58:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Lithium is a dangerous chemical. To use it in a cell phone battery
(Lithium-Ion) requires a "chip" inside the battery pack and it must
communicate with the charger. Charging Li-ion batteries requires control of
the charging rate and if the rate is too high or the battery is overcharged,
it can explode. (As did some Kyocera and Nokia batteries a few months back).

You won't find an OEM battery or charger that will not turn off a Li-ion
battery when fully charged.

1. Turn you phone on
2. Connect the charger
3. Dont worry,
Even if the charge is complete the phone will stay on. When the battery
drops down, the charger will kick in assuming it has a voltage source (i.e.
car is not turned off).

--
Steve
> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>> I currently have a Motorola i720 and it does this bull@#$% at the end of
>> its
>> charging time (in my car):
>>
>> "Charge Complete"
>>
>> Thing is, I want my phone ALWAYS ON, and ALWAYS CONNECTED AND CHARGING.
>
> Your phone won't charge if the battery is full.
>
>> Are there any phones out there (I'm going verizon) that can stay on, and
>> stay charging (like the old startac's could), and perhaps even have the
>> ability to relay-off the charger to keep from cooking the battery?
>
> Why do you think the charger doesn't keep charging the batter when it's
> full?
>
> I'm utterly confused as to what you think you'll gain by manually
> controlling when the phone charges. Please enlighten me.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
> sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
December 24, 2004 5:52:32 AM

In article <aeOyd.10710$152.7492@trndny01>, "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> writes:
> Steve Sobol coughed up:

>> I'm utterly confused as to what you think you'll gain by manually
>> controlling when the phone charges. Please enlighten me.
>

> I didn't think I'd have to explain it to this level, but basically it has to
> do with the phone turning itself off after it thinks it has been charged.

Certainly that does not happen with our Motorola v60s phones (although we
only uses house chargers, nothing in a car).
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:38:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Steve coughed up:
> Lithium is a dangerous chemical. To use it in a cell phone battery
> (Lithium-Ion) requires a "chip" inside the battery pack and it must
> communicate with the charger. Charging Li-ion batteries requires
> control of the charging rate and if the rate is too high or the
> battery is overcharged, it can explode. (As did some Kyocera and
> Nokia batteries a few months back).
>
> You won't find an OEM battery or charger that will not turn off a
> Li-ion battery when fully charged.
>
> 1. Turn you phone on
> 2. Connect the charger
> 3. Dont worry,
> Even if the charge is complete the phone will stay on. When the
> battery drops down, the charger will kick in assuming it has a
> voltage source (i.e. car is not turned off).

Actually that's what the StarTac does. But the 720 actually "turns off"
with the message "charge complete". By turning off I mean that it no longer
functions as a phone without specifically turning on by holding down the
red-hang-up button for 3 secs.

It's an utter annoyance. I've tried every single permutation of options in
the thing, and it still does that. Ah well, it's being replaced /very/ soon
anyway...

--
"It eats you starting with your bottom". Botched
translation of the demonic warning "From beneath, it

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Steve coughed up:

....[rip]...

> 1. Turn you phone on
> 2. Connect the charger
> 3. Dont worry,
> Even if the charge is complete the phone will stay on.

....[rip]...

I'm begining to think that what I'm talking about is a nasty quirk of the
720, and is not something I have to worry about in the moto line in general.

--
"It eats you starting with your bottom". Botched
translation of the demonic warning "From beneath, it
devours", in Buffy the Vampire Slayer ~2003.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 9:53:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

I think you're right. The v600 and v3 don't do that.

wrote in message news:4mOyd.11343$EL5.9456@trndny09...
> Steve coughed up:
>
> ...[rip]...
>
>> 1. Turn you phone on
>> 2. Connect the charger
>> 3. Dont worry,
>> Even if the charge is complete the phone will stay on.
>
> ...[rip]...
>
> I'm begining to think that what I'm talking about is a nasty quirk of the
> 720, and is not something I have to worry about in the moto line in
> general.
>

> --
> "It eats you starting with your bottom". Botched
> translation of the demonic warning "From beneath, it
> devours", in Buffy the Vampire Slayer ~2003.

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 5:05:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <A9KdnUSeyM_HslHcRVn-3Q@adelphia.com>,
"Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

> > My [newer] 720 does not do this. Instead, once it is fully
> > charged, it will in face turn *OFF* the phone and put "Charge
> > Complete" into the window. The phone cannot be used in that state
> > without turning on again.
> >

> My i830 doesn't do anything like that- it simply shows a full charge-
> I never have to turn it off and when I do decide to leave it on when
> charging, it functions as normal.

My V710 doesn't turn off either; the window does say "Charge complete,"
but the phone remains turned on.

December 26, 2004 10:12:15 AM

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> My [newer] 720 does not do this. Instead, once it is fully charged, it will
> in face turn *OFF* the phone and put "Charge Complete" into the window. The
> phone cannot be used in that state without turning on again.

There are several flavors of the 720; the following applies to the CDMA
version of the T720... I am not familiar with the GSM version. Either
the phone is defective, or you have old software. The CDMA 720 was
released with software which, charitably speaking, was not ready to be
released. The latest CDMA software is 2.22.6D.1P. My phone does not have
this behavior.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 8:26:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Michelle Steiner coughed up:
> In article <A9KdnUSeyM_HslHcRVn-3Q@adelphia.com>,
> "Scott Stephenson" <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>> My [newer] 720 does not do this. Instead, once it is fully
>>> charged, it will in face turn *OFF* the phone and put "Charge
>>> Complete" into the window. The phone cannot be used in that state
>>> without turning on again.
>>>

>> My i830 doesn't do anything like that- it simply shows a full charge-
>> I never have to turn it off and when I do decide to leave it on when
>> charging, it functions as normal.
>
> My V710 doesn't turn off either; the window does say "Charge
> complete," but the phone remains turned on.

Check-----Can you dial out? Can it receive calls with thismessage in the
window?

Mine cannot.

--
Everythinginlifeisrealative.Apingpongballseemssmalluntilsomeoneramsitupyourn
ose.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

I have a T720g that did that until I unlocked it and reflashed and flexed it
now it stays on when I charge it in my truck
"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:4mOyd.11343$EL5.9456@trndny09...
> Steve coughed up:
>
> ...[rip]...
>
> > 1. Turn you phone on
> > 2. Connect the charger
> > 3. Dont worry,
> > Even if the charge is complete the phone will stay on.
>
> ...[rip]...
>
> I'm begining to think that what I'm talking about is a nasty quirk of the
> 720, and is not something I have to worry about in the moto line in
general.

> --
> "It eats you starting with your bottom". Botched
> translation of the demonic warning "From beneath, it
> devours", in Buffy the Vampire Slayer ~2003.

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 3:10:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular (More info?)

Fester coughed up:
> I have a T720g that did that until I unlocked it and reflashed and
> flexed it now it stays on when I charge it in my truck

Aside: Please don't top post after others have bottom posted. It totally
screws up the message.

What do you mean by the following:

unlocked
reflashed <--I know this one---
flexed

I know that there is a special number to receive the latest software rev.,
which I assume must be flashed into place, but what is "unlocked" and
"flexed"?

Thanks.

--
"His name was Robert Paulson. His name was Robert Paulson. His name was
Robert Paulson..."