Whatever Happened to Virtual Reality?

Now that I have been extensively using my TrackIR it got me wondering
whatever happened to virtual reality headsets? I think the TrackIR is the
next best thing, but problem is that you still have your eyes focused
straight ahead no matter where your head is turned. I remember plahing some
virtual reality games 5-6 years ago in Las Vegas and figured by this time
(5-6 years later) it'd be an affordable peripheral for PC's. But nothing
exists. It would be much more cool, IMHO, to be 100% immersed in the
environment by donning some virtual reality goggles that all you could see
was the in-game environment. They could probably even make it with wider
peripheral vision too. I'd pay $300-$400 for a good set if it were
available, and compatible with most flight and driving games. Hell, even
first person shooters it would be pretty cool too.

Anyone know if such a thing exists or is in development?

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:59:36 -0400, HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> Now that I have been extensively using my TrackIR it got me wondering
> whatever happened to virtual reality headsets? I think the TrackIR is
> the next best thing, but problem is that you still have your eyes
> focused straight ahead no matter where your head is turned. I remember
> plahing some virtual reality games 5-6 years ago in Las Vegas and
> figured by this time (5-6 years later) it'd be an affordable peripheral
> for PC's. But nothing exists. It would be much more cool, IMHO, to be
> 100% immersed in the environment by donning some virtual reality goggles
> that all you could see was the in-game environment. They could probably
> even make it with wider peripheral vision too. I'd pay $300-$400 for a
> good set if it were available, and compatible with most flight and
> driving games. Hell, even first person shooters it would be pretty cool
> too.
>
> Anyone know if such a thing exists or is in development?

They're still rather "speciality" items.. I did a pricing for them once,
when I started playing Jane's F/A-18 recently.. See, the virtual cockpit
would be *perfect* in such a gizmo... I was looking at USD $1000 and up
for anything decent. These things came replete with warning of headaches
and other dire consequences if used for any civilized amount of time. I am
very sensitive to flicker, so those warnings would have to be heeded, very
well.
Needless to say, if all I wanted was to blow a few thousand bucks for ten
or maybe fifteen minutes of "immersive" but grainy play on some lame game
( that I get bored with soon after) , these are it.. Nothing worthwhile
for us who love to sneak up on a battle group and raise hell :)

-joseph

I'd rather ditch than trap on a carrier on a fair day ( state chicken,
always!)

I havent heard anything new lately but I was curious as well. 95ish we did
have the (I dont recall the name)320X240 goggles but the technology hadnt
caught up to the idea quite yet.

You would think small high-res LCD's are getting cheap enough nowadays for
just such a device.

A couple of say 16x9 4" LCD's running at 1024x768 in a goggle type
configuration using a system similar to TrackIR for the movement.

Heck this isnt PC only either. I can see something similar for the
consoles.

Mitch

Mitch_A wrote:
> (...)
> A couple of say 16x9 4" LCD's running at 1024x768 in a goggle type
> configuration using a system similar to TrackIR for the movement.
>
> Heck this isnt PC only either. I can see something similar for the
> consoles.

I am surprised too that this hasn't materialized yet in the $300-$400
range. The technology is readily available and there is a huge
potential market (hordes of quakers, doomers, and the occasional
sim-buff). So, there must be other issues but I wonder which ? Motion
sickness ?

I guess that when (if?) mass-produced VR helmets become available, it
will be for consoles first.

Somewhat related was the announcement (two years ago ?) of an
headphones-like thingy that would emit very low frequency noises to
trick the internal ear into an illusion of motion. I was rather
skeptical at the time, though.

Regards,
Mr. S.

Check out the eDimensional 3D glasses: www.eDimensional.com

<michael.epstein@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Check out the eDimensional 3D glasses: www.eDimensional.com

Problem is, it just converts your monitor image into 3D. It's not true
virtual reality. The TrackIR is more virtual reality than that.

Deleted member k

> <michael.epstein@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Check out the eDimensional 3D glasses: www.eDimensional.com
> >

> Problem is, it just converts your monitor image into 3D. It's not true
> virtual reality. The TrackIR is more virtual reality than that.

Has anybody ever tried to stick a TrackIR reflective dot onto 3D glasses??
If you set the TrackIR to move as much as your head, shouldn't this give you
as close to reality as possible??

K.

I had one of these in the days

http://tinyurl.com/azjba

it was frekin fantastic. The best was US Navy Fighters and Doom.
You could sit in your cockpit on the carrier deck and look around the place in
your chair before you took off. Awesome.

Would hook up friends with Doom and when they were running around, they would
hear the enemies running towards them. They always shout loud because the ear
phones sealed out so much of the sound.

HUGE DRAWBACK is that no one would ever write the drivers for the program that
were coming out. VFX-1 began begging people to write the drivers for the new
games. New game developers were responsive to include the drivers in their game
if VFX supplied it to them. Better resolutions started coming out and more
complex games. If you have no freakin drivers to have it work in the game then
all you end up having is a pair of LCDs in front of your eyes but the motion
tracking didn't work.

Great concept, not enough brains behind it to keep it going. They even had a
version that was 3DFX when the Diamond 3DFX cards started coming out.

Made you dizzy though if you were flying a plane, turning the plane in any
direction while sitting in your perfectly level and not moving computer chair
while looking in another direction. Body keeps telling you that you are not
moving but everything wrapped around your head was telling you different. Glad
I was able to experience it.

"Germ" <element@pe.ke> wrote in message
>I had one of these in the days
>
> http://tinyurl.com/azjba
>
> it was frekin fantastic. The best was US Navy Fighters and Doom.
> You could sit in your cockpit on the carrier deck and look around the
> place in
> your chair before you took off. Awesome.
>
> Would hook up friends with Doom and when they were running around, they
> would
> hear the enemies running towards them. They always shout loud because the
> ear
> phones sealed out so much of the sound.
>
> HUGE DRAWBACK is that no one would ever write the drivers for the program
> that
> were coming out. VFX-1 began begging people to write the drivers for the
> new
> games. New game developers were responsive to include the drivers in
> their game
> if VFX supplied it to them. Better resolutions started coming out and
> more
> complex games. If you have no freakin drivers to have it work in the game
> then
> all you end up having is a pair of LCDs in front of your eyes but the
> motion
> tracking didn't work.
>
> Great concept, not enough brains behind it to keep it going. They even
> had a
> version that was 3DFX when the Diamond 3DFX cards started coming out.
>
> Made you dizzy though if you were flying a plane, turning the plane in any
> direction while sitting in your perfectly level and not moving computer
> chair
> while looking in another direction. Body keeps telling you that you are
> not
> moving but everything wrapped around your head was telling you different.
> Glad
> I was able to experience it.

That could be the problem then, nausea and dizzyness. So why don't they
integrate something into the earcup to mimic pressures exerted on the ear
during these maneuvers. However I know in turning, it isn't as much pressure
as fluid flow (Bernoulli's) that gets the body feeling that sensation. It
would seeem that there would be a way with slight pressure variations that
one could make this somewhat realistic, and less prone to confusion (that's
hard with me standing still though ;).

Where are the flying cars?
I was promised flying cars!
:^)