Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LAN Security Questions

Last response: in Networking
November 24, 2012 7:25:05 PM

I have a wireless modem with multiple computers connected to it. I was wondering if it is possible for a virus/worm that one computer gets infected with to travel through the modem to other computers connected to the modem? What would the best ways to prevent this from happening be?

More about : lan security questions

a b 8 Security
November 24, 2012 8:38:31 PM

A virus that infects a machine on a network can infect other machines. Either use a good antivirus on all machines, or restrict the suspect machines (like those of your kids or unreliable employees) from the rest of the network.
m
l
November 24, 2012 9:10:18 PM

RealBeast said:
A virus that infects a machine on a network can infect other machines. Either use a good antivirus on all machines, or restrict the suspect machines (like those of your kids or unreliable employees) from the rest of the network.

How would I restrict those machines?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 8 Security
November 24, 2012 10:13:44 PM

Don't allow them access to the other computers on the network, and if you actually find a virus on them consider shutting off their Internet access for some pre-defined period, say a week.

Also, I would alter the hosts file on those machines to prevent access to "bad" places. To do that you use the notepad in administrator mode on that machine (right click notepad, run as admin) and then go to the hosts file windows/system32/drivers/etc then select all file types and open the file named hosts. Paste the huge list of bad places into the file from here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt Just copy the entire text file and copy it into your hosts file. Then save and all those sites will be blocked.

The main site gives you a bit more detail on what hosts file blocking does: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
November 26, 2012 10:56:47 AM

Purchase and install an antivirus program such as Kaspersky Antivirus, Norton Antivirus or McAffe Antivirus on every computer attached to the network. This is the only way to protect them all against infection. Some companies provide discounts or bulk licenses for multiple computers.
m
l
November 29, 2012 1:04:10 AM

Best answer selected by TopMark.
m
l
!