ATA/133 PCI Adapter card issue

yetiman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
Win98SE system, installed a new Maxtor 30GB HD after old WD Caviar crashed. :eek: BIOS would not recognize full storage so I got a Maxtor ATA/133 PCI adapter card. HD cable plugged into primary IDE on adapter card with old CD-ROM still plugged into secondary IDE on motherboard. Win98SE recognized new HD at full storage but no longer recognized CD-ROM. Device manager showed adapter card as SCSI device and CD-ROM red-xed along with hard-disk controller secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) red-xed. Only way I can get CD-ROM recognized is to cable it to the secondary IDE connector on the adapter card. It works but I get a message on start-up that the CD-ROM is not ATAPI compatable...I press F1 to continue and Win98SE loads and both the HD and the CD-ROM work properly and device manager recognizes them.

Why does the CD-ROM have to be plugged into the adapter card? I thought I would be able to continue to use the IDE connectors on the motherboard and the adapter card would be additional.

BTW, Maxtor's web page is virtually useless for tech support.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated.

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Have you tried plugging that lone CD-ROM to the <i>primary</i> interface on the motherboard?

And yes, I've checked Maxtor's website just on general principles, and trying to find anything marginally useful there is an exercise in futility indeed...

___
<font color=green><i>Feet are frozen, hair's on fire, on the average, everything's fine.</i></font color=green>

I had the same problem with that Maxtor card running Win2K, no CMOS changes would resolve the issue, I finally got fed up with it and took it back to the store and got my money back, I'm thinking about getting a new M/B anyway that will transfer at 133, you can still use your hardrive normally or look for a higher quality ATA transfer card. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, this sounds like a BIOS issue. Often you'll find that BIOS won't support the second IDE channel if nothing is found on the first, it disables it as seen by the X marks in Device Manager. I would do the following:
1.) Connect the CD-ROM to the Primary IDE connector on the motherboard and set it as master.
2.) Set BIOS to boot order from SCSI first. Or if you want to boot from CD, CD then SCSI.
3.) Make sure the PCI slot used by the card isn't using the same IRQ as the onboard controller.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

yetiman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
Napoleon/4ryan6/Crashman Thanks for your replies.

I had tried connecting the CD-ROM to the primary IDE on the MB and got the same red-xes. But Crashman, you were EXACTLY correct!!! I set BIOS for the CD-ROM as primary master and connected the cable to the primary IDE on MB, and set the SCSI as secondary master in BIOS with the cable connected to the primary on card and it works great!!! Honestly. I would never have thought to try that....I see why you are Honorary Master!!!

Again, thanks.