Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 won't boot after BIOS Update! HELP!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 16, 2012 5:30:31 AM

Hi Guy's,

Since April my New PC has been working fine. Then I re-downloaded Portal2 off Steam onto the Computer. Now I have had Problems with Portal 2 on my Old Laptop, e.g. Glitchy Sound, Not loading SP. It was a successful install (or so it say's) and I thought it would be ready to play. I entered the game and it crashed, and gave me the BSOD. Then I found out it was a problem with AMD's Bulldozer CPU's and that the only way to fix it was by updating the BIOS. So I updated BIOS successfully with Gigabyte's Q-Flash. Now ever time I turn the PC on say's loading Windows.... Then crashes and I get a quick BSOD message and it restarts! What should I do?

- Sam

Spec's:

AMD FX-4100
Gigabyte's GA-970A-D3
G.SKILL 1600Hz 8gb Ripjaws
1TB Seagate HDD
EVGA GTX 560 1GB
Cooler Master eXtreme 700w
May 16, 2012 6:01:10 AM

Try remove mobo battery for few moment and install it again. This will restore to default bios.
Score
May 16, 2012 7:19:30 AM

mubin said:
Try remove mobo battery for few moment and install it again. This will restore to default bios.

I cleared the CMOS Values by using a screw driver on the CMOS Jumper, I restarted the PC and still no luck! :'(  Help Anyone!
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2012 7:30:09 AM

did you put the newest bios in or was it a beta bios???
Score
May 16, 2012 7:42:29 AM

Clearing CMOS doesn't do anything to the BIOS version. If the BIOS flash failed, you still have a bad BIOS, only with default values. You need to either flash the BIOS again using a BIOS image on a cd, or restore from the backup BIOS.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697...
Score
May 16, 2012 8:21:51 AM

smorizio said:
did you put the newest bios in or was it a beta bios???

It was the newest from Gigabyte's Website (It was the F8 Version)
Score
May 16, 2012 8:24:00 AM

quilciri said:
Clearing CMOS doesn't do anything to the BIOS version. If the BIOS flash failed, you still have a bad BIOS, only with default values. You need to either flash the BIOS again using a BIOS image on a cd, or restore from the backup BIOS.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697...

Okay so I did method 1 and 2 on the Overclockers Forum. Method 1 didn't work but Method 2 come up with a screen I've never seen (BIOS something, creating BIOS Image now.). Then I restarted the PC and Windows still stuffs up. :/  Could this be a Problem with my HDD?
Score
May 16, 2012 8:47:03 AM

Will windows boot in safe mode?
Score
May 16, 2012 9:06:46 AM

quilciri said:
Will windows boot in safe mode?

No because I can only boot from my CD and when I try to boot from HDD it gives me the BSOD.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 16, 2012 9:27:14 AM

Go into your BIOS and make sure your SATA Controller is set to ACHI or ACPI mode. You probably installed Win 7 when the BIOS was in ACHI mode and now the SATA is in IDE mode it is binning it at a driver level.
May 16, 2012 7:39:48 PM

Wamphryi said:
Go into your BIOS and make sure your SATA Controller is set to ACHI or ACPI mode. You probably installed Win 7 when the BIOS was in ACHI mode and now the SATA is in IDE mode it is binning it at a driver level.

Thankyou! It worked I'm now back on the computer! Everythings fine but I'm missing a few desktop icons, nothing major. Thankyou for fixing this stressful problem! :D 

- Samo
Score
May 16, 2012 7:40:18 PM

Best answer selected by samotage.
Score
October 22, 2012 3:20:38 AM

Wamphryi for King - saved me too. Thank you so much!
Score
November 2, 2012 9:04:22 PM

Ok same problem but I was running RAID so I had to set my BIOS to RAID as opposed to AHCI. After two restarts of a long wait for "Loading Operating System..." I got a windows can't load please insert disc. Any help?
Score
December 23, 2012 9:04:53 PM

No RAID on our Dell E6500 which would not boot Windows 7 following replacing an IO Board which required removing the CMOS/Coin Cell battery, but this worked for us as well.

The "default" is IRRT and changing it to AHCI got it working. (changing it to ATA did not help).

2 other interesting observations:
1.Booting to Ubuntu worked with either setting
2.Disk diagnostics passed just fine.

Thanks!
Score
March 26, 2013 1:39:15 AM

The answer to the problem also helped me alot, although I have to ad (which I found on anandtech) that with some mainboards changing it to ACHI might change other settings like bootorder(which happened in the bios of the gigabyte mainboard which I was fighting with)...

So make sure to check the bootorder after you changed the IDE to AHCI setting.

Hope this will help others as it helped me.
Score
June 5, 2013 8:39:45 PM

Audidude said:
Wamphryi for King - saved me too. Thank you so much!

Hell yeah! He saved me as well!
Score
!