Wireless but not..

Ok, I'm almost positive you've seen this question before. I just recently
found out about this, so please forgive if it's a common question/problem.

1- I have a eMachine m6809 Laptop - with integrated Wireless G card
2- I have a Wireless Microsoft 802.11 Wireless B Router
3- I have a cable modem

What I have been able to accomplish:
Connect the cable modem to the router to the laptop via Cat5 and get an
internet connection - which comes up in my network connections as a Local
Area Connection, which is enabled.
I then, recently, figured out how to enable my integrated wireless g network
adapter. Microsoft's Router software lets you view your network/internet
connection via their Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. So, currently it
says my computer is hooked up and running with my router which is connected
to the Internet via my Local Area Connection. If I go to my network
connections and disable my LAC and connect via my wireless adapter, I can
see that the computer is using the wireless card now, I guess, and it says
signal strength is excellent yadda yadda yadda...but if I look at my
Broadband Network Utility, it says it's using the wireless card but below it
says I'm not connected to my network nor the Internet.

Anybody have an idea what I am not doing right?

Thanks for your help!

Dan

You probably need to tell it which channel your base station is using, via
the card's Properties. If it is "close" you might be getting a peripheral
signal, but not connecting. Make sure you're part of the same Workgroup,
too, and have entered the proper WEP code.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Dan Galfano" <daniel@galfanodesign.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm almost positive you've seen this question before. I just recently
> found out about this, so please forgive if it's a common question/problem.
>
> 1- I have a eMachine m6809 Laptop - with integrated Wireless G card
> 2- I have a Wireless Microsoft 802.11 Wireless B Router
> 3- I have a cable modem
>
> What I have been able to accomplish:
> Connect the cable modem to the router to the laptop via Cat5 and get an
> internet connection - which comes up in my network connections as a Local
> Area Connection, which is enabled.
> I then, recently, figured out how to enable my integrated wireless g
> network
> adapter. Microsoft's Router software lets you view your network/internet
> connection via their Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. So, currently it
> says my computer is hooked up and running with my router which is
> connected
> to the Internet via my Local Area Connection. If I go to my network
> connections and disable my LAC and connect via my wireless adapter, I can
> see that the computer is using the wireless card now, I guess, and it
> says
> signal strength is excellent yadda yadda yadda...but if I look at my
> Broadband Network Utility, it says it's using the wireless card but below
> it
> says I'm not connected to my network nor the Internet.
>
> Anybody have an idea what I am not doing right?
>

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Dan

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I'm wireless.

Thanks Chris! I think I just needed to put in the WEP code.

Dan

"Dan Galfano" <daniel@galfanodesign.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm almost positive you've seen this question before. I just recently
> found out about this, so please forgive if it's a common question/problem.
>
> 1- I have a eMachine m6809 Laptop - with integrated Wireless G card
> 2- I have a Wireless Microsoft 802.11 Wireless B Router
> 3- I have a cable modem
>
> What I have been able to accomplish:
> Connect the cable modem to the router to the laptop via Cat5 and get an
> internet connection - which comes up in my network connections as a Local
> Area Connection, which is enabled.
> I then, recently, figured out how to enable my integrated wireless g
network
> adapter. Microsoft's Router software lets you view your network/internet
> connection via their Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. So, currently it
> says my computer is hooked up and running with my router which is
connected
> to the Internet via my Local Area Connection. If I go to my network
> connections and disable my LAC and connect via my wireless adapter, I can
> see that the computer is using the wireless card now, I guess, and it
says
> signal strength is excellent yadda yadda yadda...but if I look at my
> Broadband Network Utility, it says it's using the wireless card but below
it
> says I'm not connected to my network nor the Internet.
>
> Anybody have an idea what I am not doing right?
>

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Dan

oh, one thing. why like every 2 minutes it knocks me off? I have to keep
re-connecting...annoying.

"Dan Galfano" <daniel@galfanodesign.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm almost positive you've seen this question before. I just recently
> found out about this, so please forgive if it's a common question/problem.
>
> 1- I have a eMachine m6809 Laptop - with integrated Wireless G card
> 2- I have a Wireless Microsoft 802.11 Wireless B Router
> 3- I have a cable modem
>
> What I have been able to accomplish:
> Connect the cable modem to the router to the laptop via Cat5 and get an
> internet connection - which comes up in my network connections as a Local
> Area Connection, which is enabled.
> I then, recently, figured out how to enable my integrated wireless g
network
> adapter. Microsoft's Router software lets you view your network/internet
> connection via their Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. So, currently it
> says my computer is hooked up and running with my router which is
connected
> to the Internet via my Local Area Connection. If I go to my network
> connections and disable my LAC and connect via my wireless adapter, I can
> see that the computer is using the wireless card now, I guess, and it
says
> signal strength is excellent yadda yadda yadda...but if I look at my
> Broadband Network Utility, it says it's using the wireless card but below
it
> says I'm not connected to my network nor the Internet.
>
> Anybody have an idea what I am not doing right?
>

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Dan

Go into the Properties of your LAN in Network Connections, and highlight the
LAN name on the Wireless Networks tab in the Preferred networks pane. Then
click the Properties button and go to the Authentication tab. Remove the
check mark from the box to the left of "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication
for this network."

What is happening is you're using WEP, and that doesn't require
authentication. So the program is trying to authenticate, finds the
connection, can't authenticate and drops. It then finds the connection,
etc., etc., etc. Vicious circle. :cool:
--

> oh, one thing. why like every 2 minutes it knocks me off? I have to keep
> re-connecting...annoying.
>

> "Dan Galfano" <daniel@galfanodesign.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I'm almost positive you've seen this question before. I just recently
>> found out about this, so please forgive if it's a common
>> question/problem.
>>
>> 1- I have a eMachine m6809 Laptop - with integrated Wireless G card
>> 2- I have a Wireless Microsoft 802.11 Wireless B Router
>> 3- I have a cable modem
>>
>> What I have been able to accomplish:
>> Connect the cable modem to the router to the laptop via Cat5 and get an
>> internet connection - which comes up in my network connections as a Local
>> Area Connection, which is enabled.
>> I then, recently, figured out how to enable my integrated wireless g
> network
>> adapter. Microsoft's Router software lets you view your network/internet
>> connection via their Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. So, currently
>> it
>> says my computer is hooked up and running with my router which is
> connected
>> to the Internet via my Local Area Connection. If I go to my network
>> connections and disable my LAC and connect via my wireless adapter, I can
>> see that the computer is using the wireless card now, I guess, and it
> says
>> signal strength is excellent yadda yadda yadda...but if I look at my
>> Broadband Network Utility, it says it's using the wireless card but below
> it
>> says I'm not connected to my network nor the Internet.
>>
>> Anybody have an idea what I am not doing right?
>>

>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Dan

It is a vicious cycle. Ok, I did that...hopefully that helps!

Thanks for your input!

Dan

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Go into the Properties of your LAN in Network Connections, and highlight
the
> LAN name on the Wireless Networks tab in the Preferred networks pane.
Then
> click the Properties button and go to the Authentication tab. Remove the
> check mark from the box to the left of "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication
> for this network."
>
> What is happening is you're using WEP, and that doesn't require
> authentication. So the program is trying to authenticate, finds the
> connection, can't authenticate and drops. It then finds the connection,
> etc., etc., etc. Vicious circle. :cool:
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>

> "Dan Galfano" <daniel@galfanodesign.com> wrote in message
> > oh, one thing. why like every 2 minutes it knocks me off? I have to keep
> > re-connecting...annoying.
> >

> > "Dan Galfano" <daniel@galfanodesign.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok, I'm almost positive you've seen this question before. I just
recently
> >> found out about this, so please forgive if it's a common
> >> question/problem.
> >>
> >> 1- I have a eMachine m6809 Laptop - with integrated Wireless G card
> >> 2- I have a Wireless Microsoft 802.11 Wireless B Router
> >> 3- I have a cable modem
> >>
> >> What I have been able to accomplish:
> >> Connect the cable modem to the router to the laptop via Cat5 and get an
> >> internet connection - which comes up in my network connections as a
Local
> >> Area Connection, which is enabled.
> >> I then, recently, figured out how to enable my integrated wireless g
> > network
> >> adapter. Microsoft's Router software lets you view your
network/internet
> >> connection via their Microsoft Broadband Network Utility. So, currently
> >> it
> >> says my computer is hooked up and running with my router which is
> > connected
> >> to the Internet via my Local Area Connection. If I go to my network
> >> connections and disable my LAC and connect via my wireless adapter, I
can
> >> see that the computer is using the wireless card now, I guess, and it
> > says
> >> signal strength is excellent yadda yadda yadda...but if I look at my
> >> Broadband Network Utility, it says it's using the wireless card but
below
> > it
> >> says I'm not connected to my network nor the Internet.
> >>
> >> Anybody have an idea what I am not doing right?
> >>

> >> Thanks for your help!
> >>
> >> Dan

I posted a message earlier about a similar notebook wireless problem. My
machine seems to constantly connect and disconnect. It never seems to get
an address from the DHCP server. I think this might be due to continuos
connecting and disconnecting. I do not have IEEE 802.1x authentication
enabled. Any other suggestions? Other machines work on the wireless. I've
tried to ensure all settings are the same on the working and non working
systems.

The wired connection works fine. The wireless has never quite worked even
though it does show itself as connected then disconnected, then connected...

"gom" <g@g.com> wrote in news:xVQmc.378302$Pk3.165450@pd7tw1no:

> I posted a message earlier about a similar notebook wireless problem.
> My machine seems to constantly connect and disconnect. It never seems
> to get an address from the DHCP server. I think this might be due to
> continuos connecting and disconnecting. I do not have IEEE 802.1x
> authentication enabled. Any other suggestions? Other machines work
> on the wireless. I've tried to ensure all settings are the same on
> the working and non working systems.
>
> The wired connection works fine. The wireless has never quite worked
> even though it does show itself as connected then disconnected, then
> connected...

OK, here is what I found. The wireless does not work if it is bridged. I
disconnected it from the bridge and it gets its own IP address. Anyone know
why this is?

Two devices, basically fighting for recognition and neither is in charge.
Some corporate systems allow for such setups, but those of us who are
"normal" at killed with it. Good find, though. It happens more often than
we'd think.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP