Getting CD info from a Sony CDP-D11's RS-232 port

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
October 26, 2004 4:07:25 PM

We a public radio station seeking to create an automated way of
posting realtime artist/album/song information to our website and
digital streams. We are a free-form/not-pre-programmed format station,
program host make decisions on the fly. Digitizing CD tracks is not
being considered because of the lack of resources and other
considerations.

We are instead looking to interface our three Sony CDP-D11 to a PC via
the RS-232D port, grab the either the CD-TEXT or CD-ID, query a CDDB
database, and finally post the results. Is there any further
documentation on what is inputed/ouputed from the RS232 port (the
manual lacks details) and wheather there is any APIs available to
translate that data.

Any sugestions or recomendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 7:31:59 PM

james wrote:

> We are instead looking to interface our three Sony CDP-D11 to a PC via
> the RS-232D port, grab the either the CD-TEXT or CD-ID, query a CDDB
> database, and finally post the results. Is there any further
> documentation on what is inputed/ouputed from the RS232 port (the
> manual lacks details) and wheather there is any APIs available to
> translate that data.

Sony must have some sort of documentation available, but if you can't find anything you might ask Colby Boles of Nirvis Systems. He sold the Slink-e product to Microsoft earlier this year but the guy knows a lot about Sony protocols.

I have an Slink-e I could sell if you need one.
October 29, 2004 5:17:30 PM

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message news:<2u81j2F26j1u4U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> james wrote:
> >
> > We are instead looking to interface our three Sony CDP-D11 to a PC via
> > the RS-232D port, grab the either the CD-TEXT or CD-ID, query a CDDB
> > database, and finally post the results. Is there any further
> > documentation on what is inputed/ouputed from the RS232 port (the
> > manual lacks details) and wheather there is any APIs available to
> > translate that data.
>
> Sony must have some sort of documentation available, but if you can't find anything you might ask Colby Boles of Nirvis Systems. He sold the Slink-e product to Microsoft earlier this year but the guy knows a lot about Sony protocols.
>
> I have an Slink-e I could sell if you need one.

I'll looking into the Slink-e.
I'm waiting to hear from Sony and Colby.

Thanks for your help,
James
!