Best possible antennas?

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hey everyone :)

I'm going to be buying the new Asus router that runs on the new AC specifications (Not Wireless N) (Link: http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/)

I was wondering, because ASUS admitted that the antennas are not the absolute highest quality/strength antennas on the market, what are?

I'd like to be able to have great range for my house with some kickass speeds, so having the top of the line antennas would be sweet.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
The most important factor will be getting antenna that have the correct physical connector. There are 2 common ones. Most likely these are 5db gain antenna. You can most likely get up to about 10db but they start to get a little on the long side if you go to high.

It may all be a waste of money though. First all your end devices must also have 3 antenna which is not common. Even if they have 3 antenna most end devices they are built in and cannot be upgraded. So upgrading only one end does not always mean you get more signal if the problem was the end device in the first place.

Be very careful of 802.11AC it is not a finalized standard. Like the pre-n stuff of years ago it is likely you will have issues between vendors. If all your equipment is not 802.11AC you will likely have issues just as running a mix of 802.11g and 802.11n devices degrades performance.