Valaire

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Hey, I just built a new computer, and my dvd-rom drive worked fine, playing a dvd in either powerdvd or windows media player. I installed the complete version of PowerDVD the next day and went to play the dvd (no dvd's work) in it and all I got was garbled pink lines, and the computer would freeze, beep a second, then windows would force a shut down b/c my video card hanged.

Anyone know what else to do besides reinstalling chipset drivers and video card drivers, which I did?

I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro and the toshiba 16x dvd-rom.

Thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Valaire on 11/01/02 07:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Anyone know what else to do besides reinstalling chipset drivers and video card drivers, which I did?"

Why would you do any of that? Clearly since the dvd player worked fine before and the only change was the new powerdvd software the problem has got to be with the new software since it is the only thing different. Perhaps you needed to remove the old software first?

BTW I had problems with my original Radeon when it was brand new and was the sh!t. They ship these things before all the bugs are worked out. The good news is the in time you can download updates that fix most of the problems. If you are running a 9700 then you are on what we call the "bleeding edge" because the stuff is only one step removed from its beta state and tends to be buggy. Time will heal your problems.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.