Nov 26, 2012
Hi,

My router that i am currently using has 1gbp/s lan and i seem to be limited to 10mbp/s when i try to transfer files across the network. I have the HG556a firmware.
Any suggestions?
Cheers

DemolitionDemon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Don't hold me to it, but hard drives are limited by their write speed also, possible reason.

I believe the 1gbp/s could only be used to it's max potential through streaming.

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Also...

What is the maximum speed of the lan card in your computer which your transferring to because obviously if thats only 10mbp/s or 100mbp/s then obviously thats the max limit.

Then its down to read/write speed on the hard drive to process the data as its coming along.

When you have a computer that has a series of parts the speed of that computer is determined by the slowest part. If you go into the WEI and run the Windows experince you come up with a number and that number is the WEI of your computer. That number is based on the slowest part. So you can have a cpu that is a 7.9 and a video card that is a 7.9 and rm that is 7.9 but if the hard drive is a 6.2 then your WEI is going to be a 6.2 and not an average of the scores.
The router being one part of the network setup has a lan port capable of 1 gb/s speed and the rest of the network parts have to be capable of that speed also. It does not do you any good if one of the other components of the network is limited to 10 mb/s. You at least want to have SSDs for hard drives because conventional drives won't keep up.

DemolitionDemon

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
For you to be managing MAXIMAL potential you'll need SSD's on both computers, Cat6 cable, a modem capable of those speeds, a motherboard or lan card capable of those speeds on both computers, and you may even need to tweak settings on the modem.

This doesn't mean you'll achieve 1GBp/s, but it'll basically mean you'll achieve the maximum speeds that currently is possible.