Home Studio Phone Patch

Last response: in Home Audio
October 27, 2004 12:52:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.tv.voice-artists (More info?)

Hi, all,

I want to add a phone patch to my home studio. Does anyone have any
experience with JK Audio Autohybrid?

It looks like it would handle my needs at an extremely affordable
price, which makes me question quality... Any good or bad reports
regarding this device?

Or should I be looking for a used Gentner SPH3 or SPH10? Or used
Symetrix TI-101? Why pay $300 when the Autohybrid is around $159?
Unless quality is an issue...

Thanks
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 10:49:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.tv.voice-artists (More info?)

I have this and a few other JK Audio devices... in my opinion, they
function perfectly and at the same time are almost useless. That is, they
do exactly what you'd like them to do, but you never realize what poor
quality a telephone speaker is until you try to listen to music through it.
It's almost the same result as holding the phone up to a speaker...

Matt

"Don Good" <DGoodPub@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi, all,
>
> I want to add a phone patch to my home studio. Does anyone have any
> experience with JK Audio Autohybrid?
>
> It looks like it would handle my needs at an extremely affordable
> price, which makes me question quality... Any good or bad reports
> regarding this device?
>
> Or should I be looking for a used Gentner SPH3 or SPH10? Or used
> Symetrix TI-101? Why pay $300 when the Autohybrid is around $159?
> Unless quality is an issue...
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 10:49:28 PM

"Matt Koskenmaki" <chillbot@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I have this and a few other JK Audio devices... in my opinion, they
> function perfectly and at the same time are almost useless. That is, they
> do exactly what you'd like them to do, but you never realize what poor
> quality a telephone speaker is until you try to listen to music through
> it.
> It's almost the same result as holding the phone up to a speaker...
>
> Matt

I'm interested in how you have used your phone-patch and what your
expectations were before you bought it.

Steve King
October 28, 2004 2:27:36 AM

>>I have this and a few other JK Audio devices... in my opinion, they
>> function perfectly and at the same time are almost useless.

We use a JK Audio Broadcast Host at our radio station. It is a digital hybrid,
and works very well, considering what it is supposed to do. I suspect that
other JK products work as claimed. They are a good company.

Remember that phone lines have a frequency response of 300-3KHz. That's it.
Even so, we use it for football remotes on an FM station. We run the unit at
the station into a 31 band graphic to improve thisng as best we can. Sometimes
we're just using it to filter out strange noises on the phone lines. We can
usually warm things up a bit and make it fairly pleasant sounding. We're happy,
and so seem to be the listeners. We'd prefer to use an ISDN codec for these
remotes, but the budget doesn't allow it.

As long as you recognize the fact that no matter what you do with a simple
hybrid, the signal is still going to sound like a telephone, then you will be
happy with any of the JK Audio products. If you need better fidelity, you need
to step up to a POTS or ISDN digital codec system that requires an encoder at
your end and a decoder at the listeners end. There are some good ones, but
they aren't exactly what you'd call cheap.

Chuck
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 10:15:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.tv.voice-artists (More info?)

"Don Good" <DGoodPub@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Or should I be looking for a used Gentner SPH3 or SPH10? Or used
> Symetrix TI-101?

The Symetrix is an older, non-digital unit, so nulling has to be done
manually. It's not difficult, but it's a nuisance if you have to do it
very often. Most of the newer digital hybrids have auto-nulling. You
want that.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 11:40:34 PM

>DGoodPub@comcast.net (Don Good)

>I want to add a phone patch to my home studio. Does anyone have any
>experience with JK Audio Autohybrid?
>
>It looks like it would handle my needs at an extremely affordable
>price, which makes me question quality... Any good or bad reports
>regarding this device?
>
>Or should I be looking for a used Gentner SPH3 or SPH10? Or used
>Symetrix TI-101? Why pay $300 when the Autohybrid is around $159?
>Unless quality is an issue...

Well it might be ok for a small studio. But the JK Audio Autohybrid has
no meters on inputs or outputs, no level pots to tweak the inputs and outputs,
no "override" function to seize the line ( which prevents a phone system
hanging up on you due to perceiving lack of audio as a disconnect), and it has
no AGC function which for Broadcast applications I really need. The AGC smooths
out and levels the mix you are sending out and receiving, useful because
oftentimes when you feed a "mix minus" down a phone line, the various sources
that feed that mix (like VTRs, Cart machines, Remote locations and studio mics)
will all be going out at pretty different levels - or coming in to your studio
at different levels depending. Without an AGC you could have someone in your
studio or somewhere else pulling out their earpiece in disgust, if not pain.

You also cannot use that JK Audio PBX digital multiline phone systems you
need to use analog
phone systems only, and as I read the website blurb the puppy mixes the
incoming audio with the audio you feed it at the output! Maybe ok if you a
remote truck, have an analog phone, and you want to feed the incoming mix minus
to a reporter's earpiece mixed the outgoing audio (like his mic or a tape
rolled from the truck). But for in studio work in TV and radio you want the
output of the device to output the incoming audio only, and mix it in your
board.

If any of these concerns matter to you, for studio work I would maybe look
at something like a used Telos 1+.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
October 29, 2004 10:29:11 PM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote:

> [...] I would maybe look
> at something like a used Telos 1+.

Definitely one of my favourites!

Used Gentner digitals can sometimes be found on eBay at decent prices
too. They seem to do the job perfectly well, but I've come across
wounded units a couple times while doing freelance gigs. I don't know
if they're inherently more prone to failure or if the owners abused them
though. The ones I encountered were trotted out to remotes on a daily
basis, while my experience with Telos is strictly in the studio.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 2:02:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.tv.voice-artists (More info?)

"Don Good" <DGoodPub@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi, all,
>
> I want to add a phone patch to my home studio. Does anyone have any
> experience with JK Audio Autohybrid?
>
> It looks like it would handle my needs at an extremely affordable
> price, which makes me question quality... Any good or bad reports
> regarding this device?
>
> Or should I be looking for a used Gentner SPH3 or SPH10? Or used
> Symetrix TI-101? Why pay $300 when the Autohybrid is around $159?
> Unless quality is an issue...
>
> Thanks

Don, I use the Telos "One" digital hybrid (modem case version) for phone
conversation recording. It can be found for about $600.00. It works great
and does some audio cleaning. If you're good with eq, you can do a lot of
the cleaning that the Telos One does internally yourself and save the money
with the less expensive JK product.

Hope this helps!
Don

--
Red/Lane productions Email: studio@redlane.com
4919 Jamestown Ave., Ste. 202 Tel: (225) 926-3977

this phone path "rylwy" will connect your landline and cell phone to the internet

and you will "collect" them in another internet connection

dd
!