Just noticed mouselook in EECH

With the weather disgustingly hot and humid here in the UK (by our
temperate standards anyway) I've been doing some cooler, low-power
gaming with my CPU and vid card cut back to 2002-ish standards. That led
me, pretty quickly, to EECH, which runs without complaint.

That was how I came to noticed the mouselook option added somewhere in
one of the patches on this list...

http://tinyurl.com/7z8mt

And the result is amazing. Despite repeated attempts to get used to my
TrackIR(1) it's always disorientated me, and mouselook is much better
for me... mainly because as a leftie who's had to get used to right
handed sticks, it's perfectly natural for me to have stick in the right
hand and mouse in the left. Looking around that way is just totally
intuitive, which TIR has never become for my aging brain.

Anyway, cruising around the EECH maps listening to the battle unfold
around me has just given me an hour or two of great pleasure. I also
found myself freshly amazed by the CTRL F11 views. I'd forgotten that
the pilot & copilot views are aminated so well, with moving controls and
MFDs that actually work properly even in external views. So much detail.

This all ties in with a recent discussion elsewhere about the way
hardware's heading, with multiple processors appearing to be the only
way ahead. Now, I don't see games programmers having the time or money
to add yet another layer of complexity to their code in the near future.
But I do think that older software like EECH shows us that modern PCs
are already *hugely* powerful. We have no shortage of capability at our
disposal, all we have is a shortage of talented programmers who'll work
for peanuts in genres that don't attract the money.

So maybe between us we could afford to fund a town in India or somewhere
else where a little money goes a long way? We help them, they breed us a
generation of programmers. Seems like a fair swap :)

Or is it really sinister? Mmm... probably. It's an attractive thought
though. That way we might only have to wait 15 years or so for the next
decent sim which has imagination as well as targets ;-)

Andrew McP

"Andrew MacPherson" <andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> With the weather disgustingly hot and humid here in the UK (by our
> temperate standards anyway) I've been doing some cooler, low-power
> gaming with my CPU and vid card cut back to 2002-ish standards. That led
> me, pretty quickly, to EECH, which runs without complaint.
>
> That was how I came to noticed the mouselook option added somewhere in
> one of the patches on this list...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7z8mt
>
> And the result is amazing. Despite repeated attempts to get used to my
> TrackIR(1) it's always disorientated me, and mouselook is much better
> for me... mainly because as a leftie who's had to get used to right
> handed sticks, it's perfectly natural for me to have stick in the right
> hand and mouse in the left. Looking around that way is just totally
> intuitive, which TIR has never become for my aging brain.
>
> Anyway, cruising around the EECH maps listening to the battle unfold
> around me has just given me an hour or two of great pleasure. I also
> found myself freshly amazed by the CTRL F11 views. I'd forgotten that
> the pilot & copilot views are aminated so well, with moving controls and
> MFDs that actually work properly even in external views. So much detail.
>
> This all ties in with a recent discussion elsewhere about the way
> hardware's heading, with multiple processors appearing to be the only
> way ahead. Now, I don't see games programmers having the time or money
> to add yet another layer of complexity to their code in the near future.
> But I do think that older software like EECH shows us that modern PCs
> are already *hugely* powerful. We have no shortage of capability at our
> disposal, all we have is a shortage of talented programmers who'll work
> for peanuts in genres that don't attract the money.
>
> So maybe between us we could afford to fund a town in India or somewhere
> else where a little money goes a long way? We help them, they breed us a
> generation of programmers. Seems like a fair swap :)
>
> Or is it really sinister? Mmm... probably. It's an attractive thought
> though. That way we might only have to wait 15 years or so for the next
> decent sim which has imagination as well as targets ;-)
>
> Andrew McP

AFAIK it does have native TrackIR (enhanced) support. Natural Point has a
video of it in action at their site.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-enemy-engaged-comanche-vs-hokum.html

Have you ever considered upgrading your TrackIR 1 to 3? It's well worth
it IMO, even if a game doesn't support 6-degrees of freedom.

Just remembered I forgot to answer you. Sorry for being rude.

> Have you ever considered upgrading your TrackIR 1 to 3?

It hovers on the edge of my "toys to buy" list. Part of me wants to
believe it'll make a big enough difference to justify the expense. But
another part of me thinks it's unlikely the difference will be enough to
justify the money. Been down that road chasing the perfect HOTAS
controller too many times!

I suppose I also still have a little residual annoyance at the fact the
TIR2 was announced about ten minutes after I bought my TIR1. :)

Perhaps one day I'll weaken. For now though my resistance is helped by
needing to buy a new boiler for my mother. That'll clean out the toy
fund for quite a while. Next time round the karmic wheel I'm going to
refuse to get on unless I get wealthy parents. :)

> Just remembered I forgot to answer you. Sorry for being rude.
>
> > Have you ever considered upgrading your TrackIR 1 to 3?
>
> It hovers on the edge of my "toys to buy" list. Part of me wants to
> believe it'll make a big enough difference to justify the expense. But
> another part of me thinks it's unlikely the difference will be enough to
> justify the money. Been down that road chasing the perfect HOTAS
> controller too many times!
>
> I suppose I also still have a little residual annoyance at the fact the
> TIR2 was announced about ten minutes after I bought my TIR1. :)
>
> Perhaps one day I'll weaken. For now though my resistance is helped by
> needing to buy a new boiler for my mother. That'll clean out the toy fund
> for quite a while. Next time round the karmic wheel I'm going to refuse to
> get on unless I get wealthy parents. :)
>
> Andrew McP

Andrew - I've had version 1, 2, and now 3. I wasn't real happy with 1, so I
tried 2, and it was better. But didn't have a real positive experience with
it, but being the crazy man I am (isn't definition of insanity to keep
trying the same thing expecting a different result), well turns out I wasn't
too crazy. TrackIR 3 is excellent. I don't play IL-2/Pacific Fighters
without it. Can't now. Or EECH. It has rejuvenated my interest in flight
sims. I haven't played with Lo-Mac much yet, and with Falcon 4: Allied Force
out now, I will probably play with that more first before going back to
Lo-Mac, but I hear it is just as good of an experience.

I think the TrackIR 3 with the 3 point dot setup greatly enhances the
tracking, not to mention the ability for the six DOF to be implemented in
upcoming games.My biggest problem in the past is the environment my computer
is setup in. The lighting would confuse the TrackIR 1 & 2 at times. But no
issues at all with the TrackIR 3 Pro.

For an avid flight sim enthusiast, it really enhances the experience. No
more worrying about snap views or padlock views, as you just move your head!
Just remember to keep a "reset TrackIR" command ready on your HOTAS because
after a dogfight when you go to look forward again, your "front and center"
view may be off a bit. Not only that, in IL-2 I much prefer to play with the
cockpit on all the time otherwise you can get disoriented if you don't have
it on after looking around with the TrackIR.

Nearly 10 years later, I think I have finally found my ideal combat flight
sim setup, thanks mostly to CH:

CH USB Fighterstick
CH USB Pro Throttle
CH USB Pro Pedals
Saitek PC Dash 2
TrackIR 3

I also have a CH Flightsim Yoke USB for the occassional civvie sim.

Now that I have my PC and all peripherals all set up perfectly, I am afraid
to ever reformat my PC again as I will probably forget all the intricacies
of setting it all up so perfectly again. But I guess that's part of the
flight sim hobby.

magma@killspam.comcast.net (HockeyTownUSA) wrote:

> TrackIR 3 is excellent

Ok, ok, looks like I have something to add to my Xmas list :)

I've seen enough potential in TIR1 to know there's an amazing experience
in there somewhere trying to get out.

Andrew McP

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> magma@killspam.comcast.net (HockeyTownUSA) wrote:
>
>> TrackIR 3 is excellent
>
> Ok, ok, looks like I have something to add to my Xmas list :)
>
> I've seen enough potential in TIR1 to know there's an amazing
> experience in there somewhere trying to get out.
>
> Andrew McP

Ohh yes, TIR3 Pro with the Vector Expansion, is an incredible addition for a
flight sim enthusiast. I couldn't fly without it now.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."