NEC FE791SB or Viewsonic P75F+B ?

Reck2

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
Which monitor should I get? I can't decide. Are these the best you can get for 200 bucks?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006B6X3/qid=1076763268/br=1-14/ref=br_lf_e_14//002-3810589-9092850?v=glance&s=electronics&n=1068298

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067DT8/qid=1076765846/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/103-4770949-4207048?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

Are the 91sb and the 91sb-bk the exact same thing?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Reck2 on 02/14/04 09:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Nec-Mitsubishi seem to be very good with monitors. I have never really seen many Viewsonic monitors or seen reviews from them but I am starting to wonder why Evesham computers (a highly respectable PC company in the UK) is slowly ditching Nec Monitors and now choosing Viewsonic.

The 91sb-bk is bascially the same monitor with a black paint job as opposed to the standard biege. Thats always been the pattern wtih NEC Monitors.

Hope this helps! ;-)

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.25ghz, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows Me

couvier

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
Heh, i just wrote a indepth but very informative review on those two monitors at amazon and newegg...

VIEWSONIC P75F+ versus NEC FE791SB

This is for those people who cant decide between the NEC FE791SB 17'' CRT and the ViewSonic P75F+ 17'' CRT, I recently got both monitors and used them for several weeks using a VGA amplifier splitter, so i can see the same image on both monitors coming from the same PC at the same time to get the best comparison results.

In a nutshell, overall i'd say the NEC is the winner. Although both monitors are very good in different areas, the NEC wins it overall. Now ill go a little bit more indepth on the two monitors. Both use a trinitron aperture grille screen and have "extra" bright features which are very nice.

About the flatness of the screens. The NEC claims it has a virtually flat screen, while the ViewSonic claims it has a Perfect Flat screen. Well, guess what, neither of these two monitors have a 100% pure flat screen. The NEC screen curves in slightly at the edges, while the entire ViewSonic screen curves a little all over. Overall i'd say the NEC has a flatter screen, and does much better in this area.

About the brightness features, the NEC has three brightness presets (OFF, SuperBright 1 & 2, each preset can have different color, contrast, and monitor brightness settings, but still the same SuperBright technology in both presets with SuperBright). The ViewSonic has two brightness presets (OFF and UltraBrite feature ON, but nothing else, no color/contrast settings to go along with it). The NEC's extra presets and options to go along with it is extremely nice and makes the ViewSonic a lower class monitor. Both the UltraBrite and the SuperBright are basically the same in technology but slighty different. The NEC's SuperBright is mainly only good for watching movies or playing video games, turning it off when working in Windows is a good idea, cause when NEC SuperBright is turned on when working in windows, and a small part of the screen is white, it's very bright. However, if much of the screen is white the whites get dimmer and the darker areas get even darker, kinda anoying. That dont happen with the ViewSonic UltraBrite, so keeping the ViewSonic UltraBrite on in Windows is an allright idea. I kinda think that the NEC SuperBright Is a little bit more powerful (makes the screen even brighter) than the ViewSonic UltraBrite, i have not really decided if this is good or bad yet. But i'd be careful with turning the brightness/contrast up high with the NEC SuperBright, cause that can acutally hurt your eyes and make them strain, like it did mine, so turn the contrast/brightness down a bit when using the NEC SuperBright feature. Overall, the Brightness features are AWESOME for playing games! Nowadays, i would think that having an EXTRABright feature in trinitron aperture grille screens are a must have, cause they are dim without them.

About the anti-glare and anti-reflection. The NEC does slightly better in this area. You can see your reflection in the ViewSonic kinda easily. And you can see outside lights in the screen, this may be because the ViewSonic has a more curved screen than the NEC.

The NEC for some reason has a sharper screen, the pixels are sharper and clearer, this is one of the reasons why games look better on the NEC than the ViewSonic. Although reading text is easier on your eyes with the ViewSonic than the NEC. So, i'd say working in Windows and browsing the web is more comfortable with the ViewSonic than the NEC. The colors are also more vivid with the NEC. The NEC also has better contrast.

I'd say overall the ViewSonic is easier on your eyes than the NEC, you could really hurt your eyes with the NEC, cause the SuperBright feature maybe a little too bright, but this can be compensated by turning the contrast/brightness down a bit. I experienced less eye strain from the ViewSonic than the NEC. But having the contrast higher with the NEC does indeed make the picture so much more beautiful and brighter but at the cost of eye strain.

About the ON SCREEN CONTROLS. I belive this is one of the least important areas of judging a monitor. But anyway, both have slighty clumsy controls, although you can easily get used to them, i'd say the NEC did a better job in this area There are more color options with the NEC than the ViewSonic, for some reason they wont let you edit the GREEN color in the ViewSonic. When editing the controls with the NEC it gives you percentages which are more easy to remember than just a bar graph on the ViewSonic. You can more quickly tell what the refresh rate/resolution is with the NEC than the ViewSonic.

About the outside casing, Both are unique looking in their own ways, they both look good, but i think the NEC is a little more durable.

What the monitors are best for: The ViewSonic would be the better choice for someone who is only going to be working in windows and browsing the web and maybe playing a game any once in a while. The NEC is for someone who is looking for a gaming monitor, as this monitor is the bomb for playing games on it! Playing FPS games such as Counter-Strike is GREAT with this monitor! All games are fantastic with the NEC and it makes the ViewSonic look bad compared to it. So overall, the NEC is the winner!

Reck2

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
THanks for the review. I was leaning towards the nec anyway. My sister has the viewsonic a90f+. It has a nasty reflection just beneath the screen and a bow image that can't be fixed. I'd steer clear of viewsonic...

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I thought Viewsonic were supposedly better - thanks for telling me as I was about to purchase Viewsonic's Black 19" perfect flat monitor - does this model also suffer from the same problems as the 17" brother?

Evesham computers have always dealt with NEC but they have now chosen to go for Viewsonic and Philips monitors and NEC are no longer avalible through Evesham. I was going to get a NEC Monitor but I have found it very hard to get the black version of the 19" NEC monitor and I cant seem to get one with USB ports on them. Does anyone know where I can get the black version of the 19" NEC Monitor with USB ports?

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.25ghz, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows Me

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
People would want a black CRT simply for aesthetic purposes. Biege is becomming old hat and it can easily turn yellow if some berk leaves the monitor in the sunlight. Black never fades and it is also becomming the fashion in computer colours.

Who wants a nice silver case, black and silver keyboard and mouse, black speakers, silver and black printer and scanner, silver CD-ROM drive and Floppy Drive covers all nicely co-ordinated only to find that it is all spoilt with a rather nasty ancient biege looking CRT Monitor.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
My viewsonic has a beautiful screen with very little glare. There is no bow in the screen and the colors are fantastic. The contrast is great and i can go on and on and on. ITs a 19" viewsonic e90fb. I just love it! It prices around $200.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 03/02/04 05:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
BTW, I'll vouche for the FE791SB. I own one, using it right now and this is an excellent monitor. My eyes are bitchy and I can see flicker at 85Hz, this does a cool 116Hz @ 1024x768:) I do some graphics work too (not as much as before sadly...) but colors are distinct on this crt. I remember editing a picture of the earth at night and having to deal with very minute differences among dark blues, and all was clearly visible. It's easy on the eyes, I have spent many hours (10-18 straight) programming on this thing and my eyes come away feeling fine. I bought this initially as a waypoint between my 15" CRT and buying a 20" LCD, but ended up keeping the FE791SB b/c it was so good. SB mode certainly comes in handy when watching movies btw.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have links on this eyestrain/bezel color issue.

I'm not claiming one way or the other, just interested.

I have discovered that I don't like beige bezels when watching movies/TV. In a dark room the beige bezel sort of glows detracting from viewing.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/06/04 03:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Reck2

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
Hey I was about to order and I saw people were having problems with the monitor flopping out after a year. Is this monitor cheap build quality?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't say anything about build quality of any monitors, not in this thread.

In another thread I posed the question why the A90F+ carries only a 1-year limited warranty in the USA while a 3-year in the rest of the world. However, that's only a vague reference to quality and I was just asking why. I wasn't stating or speculating anything about Viewsonic or Viewsonic monitors in general.

Actually, I'm really happy with Viewsonic but I only have had one E95, 19" monitor, from which to judge. I've had it for about a year now. It's been perfect for my needs. This hardly qualfies me to judge build quality. I wouldn't know a poorly built monitor if I owned one.

[Actually, 8 or 9 years ago I did own a poorly built monitor. (It was a generic) Had all kinds of problems with it. Took it to the shop that did repairs for my company and they found eleven cold solder joints. When they fixed those the monitor was perfect, and still is to this day.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
TCO '99 regulations set a certain max contrast between the bezel and actual screen, and all thise can be calculated. To save time tho, I point you to:
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/ce/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6700#6700" target="_new"> click </A>
Link in the flat panels forum from some time ago. The poster is a a monitor engineer and has shown he knows what he's talking about.

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 03/28/04 11:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I could possibly believe that black plastics are less recyclable (as Gosharks stated in your link) and I'll try to remain open minded regarding eyestrain and constrast levels of varies bezel colors. I certainly can't dispute the claim. I suffer no eyestrain using a beige bezel.

My complaint is a minor one. My monitor has double use. It's used as a typical computer CRT, mostly for browsing and some gaming, but it is also used as a full duty television. Using it as a television I tend to sit much further from the screen than when I use it as computer monitor. Because of the angles of the bezel and its light color the bezel reflects enough light to be distracting when watching television/DVDs/video. That's my complaint.

It's not a huge problem. I just thought that a flat black bezel would be better in my case, at least for television viewing.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Reck2

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
Well I found a great place to order the nec from, I just can't decide between white and black! I'd like to hear about the black eyestrain from people tho, I've never used a black monitor. Is this a problem? I kinda do like black. Hah I've really delayed getting this thing...

Edit: I've thought about it and I think I wanna spring for a 19incher. I'm using a 19" one now and I think it's worth it to pay extra. I'm looknig at the NEC FE991- bk. Is that the same as the FE791, only bigger? Is that the best I can get for around 250? Thanks.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Reck2 on 03/28/04 01:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>