What kind of router is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hey guys,

My current wireless router is going out and so I need to buy a new one.

I live in a one bedroom 800-900 sq feet apartment and have a max internet speed of 18-20mbs. I'll do some video streaming off multiple devices, downloading of large files, and a bit (not a lot) of online gaming. I'm also willing to change the firmware if necessary.

I'm not sure if I should go with a basic router that costs $15-$30 or one a better one that costs $50-$80. Are there any reasons to get the more expensive for my needs?

Thanks!

thename1000

Honorable
May 30, 2012
So why do you think cheap single N band?

I mean for the more expensive routers what do people need those for? Is trying to get one that uses ddwrt worth it? (I don't know much about it..)

RealBeast

Titan
They work very well, I've used that model configured as an AP in lots of homes and it has a good radio that will cover your area. You don't need simultaneous dual band or you would know it -- do you have any adapters that work at 5GHz? Do all of your devices support N at least? If you will attach anything on the G band or not using WPA2 with AES encryption your maximum speed is limited to 54Mbps anyway.

Many people buy expensive routers for all the added features that 95% of them will never use. I find that most people with high end routers only have them running at 54Mbps max speed because they configure them to handle legacy devices, which results in the router not using the multi-antenna high speed N.

While dd-wrt can be useful for specific applications, none of them are things that you will be doing anyway.

What do you plan to do that would require an expensive router? If you want all the bells and whistles, like attached storage, print servers, and that kind of stuff get a good price at least. Look at this router as a high end router (which has plummeted in price due to the new 802.11ac that are not really ready for prime time yet): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

Status
Not open for further replies.