Psykoh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Quick question. I bought a Volcano 7+ Heatsink for my AMD 2100+ cpu and I noticed that the fan for the heatsink blows inward toward the fins. I flipped the fan around so that it would blow outward like all other heatsinks. Is this alright? Anyone have any opinions or suggestions for this. Thanks

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Go for it.

If (when :smile: ) you see your temps rise instead of fall, you can always flip it back.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I should be blowing inward. Flipping the fan will most likely give worse performance.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Aren´t fans supposed to blow air at the heatsink, not "extract" air from it?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
It usually depends on the heat sink. It is more common to blow onto it now. I believe that the intel retail blows onto it, but I don't remember for sure.

<font color=blue>I want to save the world for my children, but not my children's children, because children shouldn't be having sex. - Deep Thought</font color=blue>

Psykoh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Well on my Soyo TEMP monitor i'm getting a temp ranging from 38-43 C, depending on the fan speed and the amount of time i left the computer on. The highest i've seen it at was 44C after playing Counterstrike for 4 hours at medium fan speed (i shoulda put it on high speed, but forgot). I really dont want to open it up and flip the fan again. I just wanted to see if these were about the same temps as the inward blowing fans. BTW (i have a AThlon 2100+, for reference)

Thanks