Upgrading SoundCard/Speakers

Murdox

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
hi! I currently have an Audigy soundcard and some shitty speakers ;) and i'm going to upgrade by christmas. I'm going to use this for mostly games,some music and maybe a few dvds.
I'm thinking of getting an Audigy 2 and the new Logitech Z-680 5.1, what do you think? I would like good 3D sound in games and surround stuff in movies.
Whats the difference between Audigy 2 and the Audigy 2 platinum sound cards?
Or can I get the full capabilities of the Z-680 from my Audigy soundcard?

PS. My budget is around $500

sturm

Splendid
i would use the money and get a damn good set of speakers. the sound quality between the 2 cards probably wont be noticeable. not real sure on specks. wait awhile until a better upgrade is available for a new sound card. by the way, I would get a set of the Klipsch? speakers full surround.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. I do not think there is a big difference between the sound card. I would get a Klipsch speaker instead of the Logitech one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, it goes like this:
LIve=[-peep-]
Live Platinum=expensive [-peep-]
Audigy=newer [-peep-]
Audigy2=even newer [-peep-]
Audigy2 Platinum=expensive new [-peep-].

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, what I mean to say is there really isn't a point in getting a newer version of the same old...anyway, get the best speakers you can buy and forget the soundcard!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
That's not helpful, give suggestions of alternatives, instead of saying soundblaster is crap.
In case any newbie is confused by Crashman's response, it should be noted that his attitude toward anything by Creative is that of a rabid dog. Similar to my attitude toward anything made by VIA. :lol: So don't take it too seriously.

The proper thing to do is to read some more reviews and get more feedback from more, umm, balanced people. I have an Audigy 2 and I think it's great! A definite improvement on the Audigy. For some reason there are hardly any reviews out there, but I suspect that it's because few reviewers have a 6.1 system to test that feature out on. Check out <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/creativeaudigy2/index.html" target="_new">this article</A> for a pretty fair review IMO.

Ritesh

Murdox

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
Well, I decided i'm not getting an audigy 2 just yet, and my audigy would work fine for what Im going to mostly use it for: gaming. I also save 150 bucks =) I cant find any vendors selling the Klipsch promedia speakers in Sweden, so I will get the Z-680 as soon as it comes out here and according to the 2 reviews of it I found its better then the klipsch speakers(tho more expensive).
thanks for the help

tmproff

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
I just purchased the logitech Z640 5.1 speaker set from Newegg for $70, they are really nice....speakers sound great, sub has excellent range, and very low profile. It comes with plenty of extra cord. For the price, I just couldn't pass it up. I also just purchased an Audigy 2, and this combo is the best sound I've ever heared from a computer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=36-121-104-03.JPG/36-121-104-01.JPG

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tmproff on 11/06/02 10:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Just upgraded from Logitech Z-560's to Klipsh 5.1's... Definitely an increase in sub quality and in the functionality of the controll pod, sats are comperable between the two brands high end speaker sets but i'd defniinitely have to recommend Klipsh as the overall better set. Klipsh comes with better wiring too...by far.

Audigy is near the top of off the shelf consumer cards. If your primary use is gaming just stick with the audigy 1 for a while.... If you MUST switch cards for some reason...*shrug*, try a GTXP (works great for me)...

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Definitely an increase in sub quality and in the functionality of the controll pod
Yeah I really like the sub on this system, it complements the sats very well, hits all the lows without drowning the sats out!

Ritesh