Is Tungsten E application software compatible with Zire 71..

May 24, 2004 12:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi,

I have a friend who has a Tungsten E. I want to buy a more advanced Palm,
but I want to be sure that I can run all the same application software that
he can.

So is Tungsten E application software compatible with Zire 71, 72, and the
Tungsten T3 ???

Answers also to my email: amakeler@bezeqint.net

tia

Avraham.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:59:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in
> I have a friend who has a Tungsten E. I want to buy a more advanced Palm,
> but I want to be sure that I can run all the same application software that
> he can.

They will run the same software. It's the same OS.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 5:41:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

The advanced Tungsten devices can run anything that the Tungsten E can run.
HOWEVER, The "E" does not have all the expansion capabilities that the more
advanced Tungsten devices have. That means any software related to those
expansion capabilities is totally useless on the Tungsten E (even though it
will run in some cases).

In general though, any software written for the main memory or for the SD
expansion card (which is common to all Tungsten devices) will run on any
Palm OS V5 device. And most older applications written for older versions
of the Palm OS will run as well.

"Stan Gosnell" <fakename@fakehost.com> wrote in message
> "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in
> > I have a friend who has a Tungsten E. I want to buy a more advanced
Palm,
> > but I want to be sure that I can run all the same application software
that
> > he can.
>
> They will run the same software. It's the same OS.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Stan

May 25, 2004 2:31:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks.

I was a bit perturbed by my discovery that they all seem to have different
processors - even different companies. But from your answer it seems taht
they all execute teh same instruction set, or subset, at least.

Since this palm is for a teenager, I am looking for a large available base
of jewish religious software , as well being good for games. So condition 1
rules out the Pocket PC. I was surprised to see the pokey little screens of
the other Palms eg Zire 71/72. There is a Sony (Clie TH55) with a 320x480
screen that runs Palm OS. But the reviews see that it is defintitely not
suitable for games/youngsters due to the peculiar placement of the buttons.
So it looks like it's going to be the Tungsten T3. Shame that it doesn't
have a joystick (like the Zire 71) . So how much software is there out that
supports the joy stick anyway ...?

Avraham.

"JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in message
> The advanced Tungsten devices can run anything that the Tungsten E can
run.
> HOWEVER, The "E" does not have all the expansion capabilities that the
more
> advanced Tungsten devices have. That means any software related to those
> expansion capabilities is totally useless on the Tungsten E (even though
it
> will run in some cases).
>
> In general though, any software written for the main memory or for the SD
> expansion card (which is common to all Tungsten devices) will run on any
> Palm OS V5 device. And most older applications written for older versions
> of the Palm OS will run as well.
>
> "Stan Gosnell" <fakename@fakehost.com> wrote in message
> > "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in
> > > I have a friend who has a Tungsten E. I want to buy a more advanced
> Palm,
> > > but I want to be sure that I can run all the same application software
> that
> > > he can.
> >
> > They will run the same software. It's the same OS.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Stan

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:37:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I've never encountered any software that claims to use the Zire joystick as
a joystick. I always assumed that it was just an alternative to the 4 way
"rocker" switch that the Tungsten devices use.

I have the Tungsten E and I love it, a great little basic PDA. I use it for
general scheduling, ebook reading, an mp3 player, and occasionally as a
photo display device.

If you go the Sony route though, be careful. There is nothing wrong with
them, they are fine machines. BUT, before OS 5 came out, Sony made
proprietary changes to OS 4 in order to better compete with the Pocket PCs.
Software written specifically for the Sony OS 4 devices do not always work
with the newer OS 5 devices. However, software written for the standard OS
4 generally do work with the OS 5 devices. I'm pretty sure that Sony now
uses OS 5, so if you go Sony, make sure you get one designed for OS 5

"Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I was a bit perturbed by my discovery that they all seem to have different
> processors - even different companies. But from your answer it seems taht
> they all execute teh same instruction set, or subset, at least.
>
> Since this palm is for a teenager, I am looking for a large available base
> of jewish religious software , as well being good for games. So condition
1
> rules out the Pocket PC. I was surprised to see the pokey little screens
of
> the other Palms eg Zire 71/72. There is a Sony (Clie TH55) with a 320x480
> screen that runs Palm OS. But the reviews see that it is defintitely not
> suitable for games/youngsters due to the peculiar placement of the
buttons.
> So it looks like it's going to be the Tungsten T3. Shame that it doesn't
> have a joystick (like the Zire 71) . So how much software is there out
that
> supports the joy stick anyway ...?
>
> Avraham.

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:46:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

and the Zire 71 joystick is worthless.

You cant play games with it, it's too small and the slick plastic makes your
thumb/finger slide off to easy.

"Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I was a bit perturbed by my discovery that they all seem to have different
> processors - even different companies. But from your answer it seems taht
> they all execute teh same instruction set, or subset, at least.
>
> Since this palm is for a teenager, I am looking for a large available base
> of jewish religious software , as well being good for games. So condition
1
> rules out the Pocket PC. I was surprised to see the pokey little screens
of
> the other Palms eg Zire 71/72. There is a Sony (Clie TH55) with a 320x480
> screen that runs Palm OS. But the reviews see that it is defintitely not
> suitable for games/youngsters due to the peculiar placement of the
buttons.
> So it looks like it's going to be the Tungsten T3. Shame that it doesn't
> have a joystick (like the Zire 71) . So how much software is there out
that
> supports the joy stick anyway ...?
>
> Avraham.
>

> "JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in message
> > The advanced Tungsten devices can run anything that the Tungsten E can
> run.
> > HOWEVER, The "E" does not have all the expansion capabilities that the
> more
> > advanced Tungsten devices have. That means any software related to
those
> > expansion capabilities is totally useless on the Tungsten E (even though
> it
> > will run in some cases).
> >
> > In general though, any software written for the main memory or for the
SD
> > expansion card (which is common to all Tungsten devices) will run on any
> > Palm OS V5 device. And most older applications written for older
versions
> > of the Palm OS will run as well.
> >
> > "Stan Gosnell" <fakename@fakehost.com> wrote in message
> > > "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in
> > Palm,
> > that
> > >
> > > They will run the same software. It's the same OS.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Stan

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:19:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

try www.pilotyid.com

its not a joke, but has the best collection of what you're looking for.

Steve

"Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> Thanks.
>
> I was a bit perturbed by my discovery that they all seem to have different
> processors - even different companies. But from your answer it seems taht
> they all execute teh same instruction set, or subset, at least.
>
> Since this palm is for a teenager, I am looking for a large available base
> of jewish religious software , as well being good for games. So condition
1
> rules out the Pocket PC. I was surprised to see the pokey little screens
of
> the other Palms eg Zire 71/72. There is a Sony (Clie TH55) with a 320x480
> screen that runs Palm OS. But the reviews see that it is defintitely not
> suitable for games/youngsters due to the peculiar placement of the
buttons.
> So it looks like it's going to be the Tungsten T3. Shame that it doesn't
> have a joystick (like the Zire 71) . So how much software is there out
that
> supports the joy stick anyway ...?
>
> Avraham.
>

> "JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in message
> > The advanced Tungsten devices can run anything that the Tungsten E can
> run.
> > HOWEVER, The "E" does not have all the expansion capabilities that the
> more
> > advanced Tungsten devices have. That means any software related to
those
> > expansion capabilities is totally useless on the Tungsten E (even though
> it
> > will run in some cases).
> >
> > In general though, any software written for the main memory or for the
SD
> > expansion card (which is common to all Tungsten devices) will run on any
> > Palm OS V5 device. And most older applications written for older
versions
> > of the Palm OS will run as well.
> >
> > "Stan Gosnell" <fakename@fakehost.com> wrote in message
> > > "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in
> > Palm,
> > that
> > >
> > > They will run the same software. It's the same OS.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Stan

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:26:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <xLOsc.19600$rb.19582@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, "news.verizon.net"
<spolinsk@verizon.net> wrote:

> "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I was a bit perturbed by my discovery that they all seem to have different
> > processors - even different companies. But from your answer it seems taht
> > they all execute teh same instruction set, or subset, at least.
> >
> > Since this palm is for a teenager, I am looking for a large available base
> > of jewish religious software , as well being good for games. So condition
> 1
> > rules out the Pocket PC. I was surprised to see the pokey little screens
> of
> > the other Palms eg Zire 71/72. There is a Sony (Clie TH55) with a 320x480
> > screen that runs Palm OS. But the reviews see that it is defintitely not
> > suitable for games/youngsters due to the peculiar placement of the
> buttons.
> > So it looks like it's going to be the Tungsten T3. Shame that it doesn't
> > have a joystick (like the Zire 71) . So how much software is there out
> that
> > supports the joy stick anyway ...?
> >
> > Avraham.

Think of the Palm apps as running on the Palm OS, and not worry about the
underlying hardware. PCs come with different processors as well, but we
pay far more attention to which version of Windows is operating on the
hardware.

If you want gaming and a joystick, you should look at the Zodiac from
Tapwave. It'll run on the Palm apps and is designed for serious gaming on
a PDA. Check out www.tapwave.com.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 3:50:38 AM

"Lone Bard" <the_lone_bard@nrtco.net> wrote:

> and the Zire 71 joystick is worthless.

It's not useless. It just isn't a joystick. You shouldn't expect it to be one.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 9:33:37 AM

On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:50:38 GMT, aranders@netusa1.net (Alan Anderson) spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>"Lone Bard" <the_lone_bard@nrtco.net> wrote:
>
>> and the Zire 71 joystick is worthless.
>
>It's not useless. It just isn't a joystick. You shouldn't expect it to be one.

I agree, I think it's pretty damned slick!

Galley
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 11:57:50 AM

Galley wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:50:38 GMT, aranders@netusa1.net (Alan Anderson) spewed
> forth these words of wisdom:

>>"Lone Bard" <the_lone_bard@nrtco.net> wrote:

>>> and the Zire 71 joystick is worthless.

>>It's not useless. It just isn't a joystick. You shouldn't expect it to be one.

> I agree, I think it's pretty damned slick!

Then here's the workable compromise: it's a joyslick. :)

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks for the reply, Guy.

>> Zodiac

Wow! I am impressed! That's a real find.

However, it will not suit me.

1. I need to buy something that does NOT look like a gaming gadget. They
should have made it look more sleeh , like iPak.
2. Here in Israel, I will need Hebrew. Don't know if this has Hebrew
support.
3. Local support, of course.

Thanks.

Avraham.

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> In article <xLOsc.19600$rb.19582@nwrdny03.gnilink.net>, "news.verizon.net"
> <spolinsk@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > "Avraham Makeler" <amakeler@bezeqint.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > I was a bit perturbed by my discovery that they all seem to have
different
> > > processors - even different companies. But from your answer it seems
taht
> > > they all execute teh same instruction set, or subset, at least.
> > >
> > > Since this palm is for a teenager, I am looking for a large available
base
> > > of jewish religious software , as well being good for games. So
condition
> > 1
> > > rules out the Pocket PC. I was surprised to see the pokey little
screens
> > of
> > > the other Palms eg Zire 71/72. There is a Sony (Clie TH55) with a
320x480
> > > screen that runs Palm OS. But the reviews see that it is defintitely
not
> > > suitable for games/youngsters due to the peculiar placement of the
> > buttons.
> > > So it looks like it's going to be the Tungsten T3. Shame that it
doesn't
> > > have a joystick (like the Zire 71) . So how much software is there out
> > that
> > > supports the joy stick anyway ...?
> > >
> > > Avraham.
>
> Think of the Palm apps as running on the Palm OS, and not worry about the
> underlying hardware. PCs come with different processors as well, but we
> pay far more attention to which version of Windows is operating on the
> hardware.
>
> If you want gaming and a joystick, you should look at the Zodiac from
> Tapwave. It'll run on the Palm apps and is designed for serious gaming on
> a PDA. Check out www.tapwave.com.
June 3, 2004 9:36:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hello,
I am the guy who runs PilotYid.com. I have the Zire 71, and it is
very suitable for gaming, as well as the many Hebrew applications you
can find on PilotYid.com, and it has a camera as an extra bonus. I
would recommend it for a teenager as well. The only concern is that
the case it comes with is not great, you might want to spend a little
more and get a better case (such as one of the hardcases).
Feel free to take a look through the Software Collection pages at my
site and see what is available. Please email me if you have any more
questions regarding Hebrew Palm software.
Also, I was chosen by PalmSource to write a Palm Experts Guide for
their website on the topic of Jewish and Hebrew Palm software. You can
see it on their site at:
http://www.palmsource.com/interests/religion_judaism/

Thanks
Ari