Maxtor 80GB UDMA133

santos

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
I recently bought a Maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm UDMA133, but i can't install XP on my system.
When Windows is installing devices, my pc freezes and i can't complete the installation.

My system is
MSI KT4 ULTRA
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
256MB 266MHZ in one bank

The board supports UDMA133? The users guide and the information on MSI site confirm that, so i don't understand why do i have this problem.

Do i have to buy the Maxtor adpater card???

I hope that someone help me, because i found some good reviews but also some people with the same problem.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
hmm...No you shouldn't have to buy a maxtor card. The drives are backward compatible even if the board did not have ATA-133 support. You say that it freezes when Windows is installing devices? It is very likely that this is not related to the hard drive. However, you can download PowerMax from maxtors website to test the drive if you want to.
<A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm " target="_new">http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm </A>

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
UDMA133 is a non-factor. That drive would work on my BX board's old ATA33 controller.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

santos

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
Thank you for your response, and i resolve the problem by loading the default value os bios.

But now i have even a bigger problem i thing.
After the reboot of the system, and when the XP is installing components, i get a blie screen with the following messsage:

Bad_Pool_Caller
in this part there are a lot of information for
first time error, and a possible cause for this,
which a did
***STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x11111111, 0x8134cc48)

Is my hard drive with problems?

Thank you for your time.

PS: i downloaded the powermax utility and i get an error when testing the bios extension and the partition information. I still have a question: can i connect a internal ZIP drive to the same IDE channel where the hard drive is connected?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by santos on 11/03/02 08:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That problem is normally caused by memory errors, but such errors can be caused by several things, including bad memory, bad power, or overly agressive memory timing.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
What is the PC configuration (FSB frequency, number of memory stick, memory timing, etc..?)
Probably the memory is causing the problem. Try Memtest to verify you ram.
Also look in the BIOS the CPU temperature. It should be below 60 °C.

the last is in the past

santos

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
thanks for your responses, but now everything is working fine. I had to update my bios and load the factory settings to install the XP, nut i "feel" that the hard drive is not working at 100% of its potencial.

Do you thing that Windows need to be upgraded so that can work with drives at UDMA133?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Thats the ticket.
Run everything at slow and easy settings until you have windows in and are ready to get going/do some problem solving.

And if you think ata133 will give you more performance then congradulations, you have sucessfully fallen for their slick marketing.
ATA133 does ah heck all for you with a single drive because sustained transfer rates are still only struggling to break 50mb/sec, a fraction of the max bandwidth.

The only time you will see an advantage with ata133 is how it can nativly support super large drives or when you have two ata133 drives on the same cable that compete for bandwidth.

<b>Is that a Sidetracked Thread I see before me? - <i>William Shakespeare, Macbeth</i></b>
Officially Certified <font color=green>Hooter Inspector.</font color=green>