Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm looking to upgrade one of my client's (large church, 1500 seat,
great sounding room, nice room treatment, about 1.6s decay time) choir
microphones. Now they are using a combo of SM-81's and older AKG
451's. They have a 60 member choir on 4 tier risers spread about 30
feet wide located directly behind the band. They are positioned
against a back wall that is treated with 2" 703 and a heavy theatrical
curtain, so it's pretty dead in the back. Fairly loud full band,
(drums, bass , keys, guitars, perc. etc). The SM81's tend to give them
the most gain before feedback the 451's sound a little better. I'd
like to find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound better
at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that might work
in this application. Cost is not a factor. Would love to purchase 4
mics for this application.

Thanks!

Phil Hadaway wrote:

> I'd like to
> find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound better
> at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that might
> work in this application. Cost is not a factor.

Schoeps CCM41 or CCM41V (depending on orientation.) Both are tiny and fly well.

<http://schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html>

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
> Phil Hadaway wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to
> > find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound better
> > at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that might
> > work in this application. Cost is not a factor.
>
> Schoeps CCM41 or CCM41V (depending on orientation.) Both are tiny and fly
well.

> <http://schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html>

Also check out the Sennheiser MKH series.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler wrote:
> "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
>
>>Phil Hadaway wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to
>>>find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound better
>>>at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that might
>>>work in this application. Cost is not a factor.
>>
>>Schoeps CCM41 or CCM41V (depending on orientation.) Both are tiny and fly
>
> well.
>
>><http://schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html>
>

> Also check out the Sennheiser MKH series.

And the Jospehson Series Six.

--but neither will disappear like the Schoeps if you're hanging the mics.

You might try hyper cardiod pattern mic's with the null pointed at the
band....
providing this does not put the rear lobe pointing at the pa speakers?

Rgds:
Eric

"Phil Hadaway" <pelhamblue@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking to upgrade one of my client's (large church, 1500 seat,
> great sounding room, nice room treatment, about 1.6s decay time) choir
> microphones. Now they are using a combo of SM-81's and older AKG
> 451's. They have a 60 member choir on 4 tier risers spread about 30
> feet wide located directly behind the band. They are positioned
> against a back wall that is treated with 2" 703 and a heavy theatrical
> curtain, so it's pretty dead in the back. Fairly loud full band,
> (drums, bass , keys, guitars, perc. etc). The SM81's tend to give them
> the most gain before feedback the 451's sound a little better. I'd
> like to find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound better
> at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that might work
> in this application. Cost is not a factor. Would love to purchase 4
> mics for this application.
>
> Thanks!

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:05:22 -0400, Eric K. Weber wrote
(in article <kvigd.911$o4.71714@news.uswest.net>):

> You might try hyper cardiod pattern mic's with the null pointed at the
> band....
> providing this does not put the rear lobe pointing at the pa speakers?
>
> Rgds:
> Eric
>

> "Phil Hadaway" <pelhamblue@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm looking to upgrade one of my client's (large church, 1500 seat,
>> great sounding room, nice room treatment, about 1.6s decay time) choir
>> microphones. Now they are using a combo of SM-81's and older AKG
>> 451's. They have a 60 member choir on 4 tier risers spread about 30
>> feet wide located directly behind the band. They are positioned
>> against a back wall that is treated with 2" 703 and a heavy theatrical
>> curtain, so it's pretty dead in the back. Fairly loud full band,
>> (drums, bass , keys, guitars, perc. etc). The SM81's tend to give them
>> the most gain before feedback the 451's sound a little better. I'd
>> like to find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound better
>> at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that might work
>> in this application. Cost is not a factor. Would love to purchase 4
>> mics for this application.
>>
>> Thanks!

four cmc641 Schoeps?, provided you could get back and above the choir enough
to let their patterns widen. I miced a jazz band in a market from over head
with one cmc641 on a 16 foot boom once and got nice tracks.

2nd thought: Maybe better to try cmc 64 cardioids and get closer to avoid
feedback.

Talk to Buzz Turner at Redding Audio. He can give you some real world Schoeps
advice.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Phil Hadaway <pelhamblue@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...I'd like to find a mic that would reject more of the band and sound
>better at the same time. Is there something in a Schoeps mic that
>might work in this application. Cost is not a factor. Would love to
>purchase 4 mics for this application.

I'd steer away from the hypercards and see if a standard cardioid would
work if positioned well.

Try the DPA 4011 (a full size mic) or 4021/4022/4023 (shorter body).

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912