Sign in with
Your question

Can I replace Comcast' modem/router with one on Amazon?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 11, 2012 10:18:10 PM

Comcast gave us a nice wireless router/modem for our house. However, it costs $7 a month. I am wondering if i can order a wireless router/modem and take the Comcast one back. In under a year, i will break even.

However, i am wondering if that will work. I was looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-SB5101U-DOCSIS...

I plan to then buy a wireless router for the house for things like laptops, ipods/iphones.

The modem/router Comcast gave us requires a coaxial cable, telephone line, and power. I just want to replace the Comcast one with a one-time purchase and save some money in the long run.

If anyone has any help, comments, questions please share. I am not good in terms of networking.
October 12, 2012 1:04:05 AM

You pretty much call them up and give them the mac of your modem and they turn it on. I would look at DOCSIS3 devices but its going to depend if they offer the service.

Your plan to run a separate modem and router is the best because you get a larger selection of routers.

Normally the phone bundle is a bad deal so you don't really need a phone connection. BUT if you want the phone you will need to ask them which devices are compatible. Voice over cable is a special thing and only certain modem work with certain systems. I would just use skpe,vontage, magic jack etc.
m
l
Related resources
!