Sign in with
Your question

ACCESS INTERNET AWAY FROM MY HOME

Last response: in Windows 7
May 16, 2012 6:00:03 PM

Hello, I have an Asus G60JX with a wireless card. I want to bring my notebook to my Mother's house, but she is elderly & doesn't have any internet for she doesn't have a computer. Is there any way I can temporarily access the internet over there so I can Skype for her to see her Great Grandaughter? Thanks...

More about : access internet home

May 16, 2012 6:08:25 PM

options:
1) hope to find an unsecured wireless signal nearby (check to see if it's even legal where you are)
2) tether to a cell phone with data plan
3) bring your mom to your house
m
l
May 16, 2012 6:12:22 PM

You still need a connection to the Internet; phone, cable, satellite, etc. Just a guess but I'm guessing the most likely thing it to setup a temporary connection with the phone/cable company (probably at least one month) and use a modem and connect to the Internet through a phone line. Alternatively, you could try tethering it to your smartphone (if you have one and you have mobile data), but at that point you should just run Skype on your phone as it will respond better.

If you live near a Starbucks or some other kind of restaurant (public library?), you may be able to get the connection speed with the free WiFi.

It seems there are also notebook cards you can get that allow you to access 3G/4G/LTE networks.
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2012 6:33:03 PM

virgin mobile has a wifi hotspot and its prepaid no contract.. you could always set her up with a low teir internet plan .. att for instance will do just internet if thats something you want and it usually runs around 15 a month..
m
l
May 16, 2012 6:37:04 PM

goodguy713 said:
virgin mobile has a wifi hotspot and its prepaid no contract.. you could always set her up with a low teir internet plan .. att for instance will do just internet if thats something you want and it usually runs around 15 a month..

Two good options.
m
l
!