Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Field Recorder Suggestions please!

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 5:57:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

What would you fine folks suggest as a good field recorder that won't break
the bank (under $1000) that could be used for recording some environmental
sounds that will be run back through my modular (and keeping this slightly
back on topic)?

Needs to be battery powered, because there absolutely ain't any power where
I'm trying to get the poor boat pilot to take me! (...and I need some cash
left over for the bribe to get him to do that to start with!)

Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?

Thoughts?

--
Les Mizzell
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 5:57:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<lesmizz@DeadSpammersbellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:luYfd.118198$yp.70741@bignews1.bellsouth.net
> What would you fine folks suggest as a good field recorder that won't
> break the bank (under $1000) that could be used for recording some
> environmental sounds that will be run back through my modular (and
> keeping this slightly back on topic)?
>
> Needs to be battery powered, because there absolutely ain't any power
> where I'm trying to get the poor boat pilot to take me! (...and I
> need some cash left over for the bribe to get him to do that to start
> with!)
>
> Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?

Given that you're recording from a boat, total absolute miniaturization does
not seem to be a requirement.

If money is an issue and reasonable quality is your goal. you might try:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...

Manufacturer refurb battery powered digital player/recorder currently at $26
(!!!) expect it to close at around $150-200.

Behringer MXB 1002 battery-powered mixer about $100.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 5:57:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

lesmizz@DeadSpammersbellsouth.net wrote:
>
> What would you fine folks suggest as a good field recorder that won't break
> the bank (under $1000)
>
> Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?

Yup. Got one. Love it. Just bought a 2.2 Gb microdrive for
$90 (split a deal with another guy) from ComputerGeeks
(http://www.computergeeks.com/pix/2x2gb.html). Already had a
1Gb CF card. Now I've got over three hours of 16/44.1 WAV
recording time. We'll see how the microdrive holds up.

Anything specific you'd like to know? You can download the
owner's manual from http://www.d-mpro.com (Downloads/Digital
Recorders/PMD670/Owner's Manual) and get all the technical
info.



T. Maki
Riverside, CA
Related resources
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 7:04:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> > What would you fine folks suggest as a good field recorder that won't
> > break the bank (under $1000) that could be used for recording some
> > environmental sounds that will be run back through my modular (and
> > keeping this slightly back on topic)?
> >
> > Needs to be battery powered, because there absolutely ain't any power
> > where I'm trying to get the poor boat pilot to take me! (...and I
> > need some cash left over for the bribe to get him to do that to start
> > with!)
> >
> > Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?
>
> Given that you're recording from a boat, total absolute miniaturization
does
> not seem to be a requirement.
>
> If money is an issue and reasonable quality is your goal. you might try:
>
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> Manufacturer refurb battery powered digital player/recorder currently at
$26
> (!!!) expect it to close at around $150-200.
>
> Behringer MXB 1002 battery-powered mixer about $100.

I second the Nomad Jukebox 3 and Behringer MXB1002 recommendation. I've got
hundreds of hours on both, never let me down, and if you pay more in hopes
of better sound quality you get less versatility and less reliability.
October 28, 2004 8:20:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
<lesmizz@DeadSpammersbellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:luYfd.118198$yp.70741@bignews1.bellsouth.net
>> What would you fine folks suggest as a good field recorder that won't
>> break the bank (under $1000) that could be used for

<snip>

> Given that you're recording from a boat, total absolute miniaturization
> does not seem to be a requirement.
>
> If money is an issue and reasonable quality is your goal. you might try:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
>
> Manufacturer refurb battery powered digital player/recorder currently at
> $26 (!!!) expect it to close at around $150-200.

May want to save some time and just buy one straight from the Creative Labs
e-bay store for $160, shipping included. Mine came in yesterday and really
looks and smells (?!?!) new to me...

> Behringer MXB 1002 battery-powered mixer about $100.

May actually have some money left over for mics and a floating tackle box to
package everything in!

Andy
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 8:22:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Did they forget to put the S/N figures in there for some reason? Or, did I
just miss them?
Max Arwood

"Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
news:2ubd31F26s4l4U3@uni-berlin.de...
> lesmizz@DeadSpammersbellsouth.net wrote:
> > What would you fine folks suggest as a good field recorder that won't
> > break the bank (under $1000)
>
> No pricing yet for the Edirol R-4 but it might fit (or nearly so) that
budget <http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r4.html&gt;
>
> The R-1 lists for $550 and sells a touch over $400
<http://edirol.com/products/info/r1.html&gt; No reports yet on the preamps.
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 10:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>
>Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?

I have and it is excellent.

You can record PCM 44.1 16 bit audio on it.
Unfortunately, the mic preamps aren't up to that level, but with some really
hot microphones the sound is excellent.

No moving parts, no worry about movement changing the recording, dust will only
affect the potentiometers and switches. One button t4cord and a 2 second
prerecord buffer

If you use MP2 or MP3, you can get some really long record times.

Junk the 64kFlash ram that comes with it and get a 1 gig replacement.

NiCad Batteries will recharge within the case, but the NiMh batteries require a
seperate charger.
Richard H. Kuschel
"I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:13:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<< Anything specific you'd like to know? >>


How are the mic pres & ADCs?


Scott Fraser
November 1, 2004 2:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Oade Brothers have some sort of preamp modification/upgrade. Probably
invalidates the warranty but may be worth checking out.

rickpv8945@aol.com (Richard Kuschel) wrote in message news:<20041029140512.29600.00003279@mb-m29.aol.com>...
> >
> >Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?
>
> I have and it is excellent....
> Unfortunately, the mic preamps aren't up to that level, but with some really
> hot microphones the sound is excellent.
>
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:07:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I just requested more info on two new Sound Devices products.
Portable hard disc recorders with preamps.
They come in two and four track models.
Check on their website.
No, I don't work for them, just looking for new ideas.
The Marantz decks work great for radio news reporters but yes you do
need a high output mic.
We generally use them in mono with an EV 635a.

On 1 Nov 2004 11:58:02 -0800, qukza@yahoo.com (qukza) wrote:

>Oade Brothers have some sort of preamp modification/upgrade. Probably
>invalidates the warranty but may be worth checking out.
>
>rickpv8945@aol.com (Richard Kuschel) wrote in message news:<20041029140512.29600.00003279@mb-m29.aol.com>...
>> >
>> >Anybody tried any of the Flash recorders like the Marantz PMD670?
>>
>> I have and it is excellent....
>> Unfortunately, the mic preamps aren't up to that level, but with some really
>> hot microphones the sound is excellent.
>>

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada
radiovoiceone@hotmail.com
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:51:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <u99do0d6ok6crnrboh5e7dmdvta1la2ser@4ax.com> voice.1@telus.net writes:

> I just requested more info on two new Sound Devices products.
> Portable hard disc recorders with preamps.
> They come in two and four track models.

I looked at them at the AES show. They're very nicely built and quite
compact, but they're pretty deep - there are a lot of settings that
you have to remember to save so you can start out right. Prices are
about right for a fully professional recorder but it's a bit more than
I need at a bit more than I can justify for what I'd use it for.

I'm kind of tempted by the Edirol R-4 and hope I can get one to play
with when they're ready to ship.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers - (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
!