Unlocking phones

Last response: in Brands
December 30, 2004 8:29:05 AM

Hi.

In general, how does one honestly 'unlock' a Motorola phone?

Doesn't it come "unlocked" from the factory and once activated, the
phone then becomes "locked" with the service the person signed up for?

I'm confused as I want to purchase phones off eBay but am weary
whether or not phones will work out carrier (T-Mobile).

T-Mobile did respond to my email stating:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile."

"Any phone (Motorola Razr V3) that T-Mobile does not sell but you wish
to use with our service needs to be a GSM 1900 MHz phone. The best way
to determine if it is a GSM phone is if you lift off the battery and
there is a compartment about the size of your thumbnail for the SIM
card."

"It must also be SIM unlocked to be used with any SIM card. Once it
meets these requirements, you may transfer your SIM into it to
activate and use the phone with your T-Mobile service. "

Any useful comments appreciated!

Thanks.

Mz

More about : unlocking phones

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:39:35 AM

You unlock a phone either with a special cable connected to a PC or,
more commonly now and true for the Razr v3, with a special code that you
enter on the keypad. The code is calculated using an algorithm based on
the individual phone's IMEI number which is a 15 digit number found on a
label in the battery compartment. Many "unlockers" have invested in
obtaining the algorithm and will provide the unlock code within hours of
when you send them the IMEI with payment.
I bought my v3 from an ebay dealer and it arrived, as advertised,
unlocked and is working fine on T-Mobile. As far as "honestly"
unlocking the phone, there is nothing dishonest about unlocking the
phone you've paid for. It's YOUR phone - not theirs. If you signed a
contract for service as part of getting a phone you are required to
fulfill the contract which has nothing to do with the unlocked status of
a phone. A very legit reason for having the phone unlocked is when
visiting foreign countries. Rather than paying up to $4/minute for
roaming you can buy a prepaid SIM and use it at "local" rates. Also,
just becuase you get a subsidized phone doesn't mean you have to use it
to fulfill your contract.
This is all moot in your case as you want a Cingular unlocked phone to
use on T-Mo. It's perfectly legit to do so.

From:Mz
m_z@Nothotmail.com

> Hi.
>
> In general, how does one honestly 'unlock' a Motorola phone?
>
> Doesn't it come "unlocked" from the factory and once activated, the
> phone then becomes "locked" with the service the person signed up for?
>
> I'm confused as I want to purchase phones off eBay but am weary
> whether or not phones will work out carrier (T-Mobile).
>
> T-Mobile did respond to my email stating:
>
> "Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile."
>
> "Any phone (Motorola Razr V3) that T-Mobile does not sell but you wish
> to use with our service needs to be a GSM 1900 MHz phone. The best way
> to determine if it is a GSM phone is if you lift off the battery and
> there is a compartment about the size of your thumbnail for the SIM
> card."
>
> "It must also be SIM unlocked to be used with any SIM card. Once it
> meets these requirements, you may transfer your SIM into it to
> activate and use the phone with your T-Mobile service. "
>
> Any useful comments appreciated!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mz
December 30, 2004 4:33:58 PM

I agree with everything BruceR said - they want to keep you on their
network. There are "stalls" in all town centres where you should only have
to pay £5 to get your phone unlocked - perfectly legally. Keep your eye open
for a (usually) handmade sign saying unlock your phone here.
Josie

"Mz" <m_z@Nothotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> In general, how does one honestly 'unlock' a Motorola phone?
>
> Doesn't it come "unlocked" from the factory and once activated, the
> phone then becomes "locked" with the service the person signed up for?
>
> I'm confused as I want to purchase phones off eBay but am weary
> whether or not phones will work out carrier (T-Mobile).
>
> T-Mobile did respond to my email stating:
>
> "Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile."
>
> "Any phone (Motorola Razr V3) that T-Mobile does not sell but you wish
> to use with our service needs to be a GSM 1900 MHz phone. The best way
> to determine if it is a GSM phone is if you lift off the battery and
> there is a compartment about the size of your thumbnail for the SIM
> card."
>
> "It must also be SIM unlocked to be used with any SIM card. Once it
> meets these requirements, you may transfer your SIM into it to
> activate and use the phone with your T-Mobile service. "
>
> Any useful comments appreciated!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mz
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:18:19 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1badss.1i2vuu@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:57:38
-0600, 1badss <1badss.1i2vuu@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>please try to keep your post in the correct forum, this should be in the
>motorola forum

This is the Motorola forum.

January 4, 2005 4:46:27 AM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:57:38 -0600, 1badss
<1badss.1i2vuu@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>please try to keep your post in the correct forum, this should be in the
>motorola forum

This is the Motorola group, albeit the Cellular group but still the
Motorola group.
!